amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Holiday week storm(s) discussion

earthlight

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. Like I said, this would have been an all snow event in a good pattern.

That's like saying if the Giants had a better defense, they would win every game :axe:

The pattern blows, if your looking for the perfect scenario that would provide the best dynamics with the coldest temps, hop on the interstate and drive about 400 miles northeast.

isnt the nam always too cool in these i guess overunning situations? i just remember clearly from last year the euro and gfs were always too warm until hrs before the event, and the nam was always too cold. Its also fitting to this awesome pattern that the real cold air supportive for snow comes 12 hrs after the precip ends.

isnt the nam always too cool in these i guess overunning situations? i just remember clearly from last year the euro and gfs were always too warm until hrs before the event, and the nam was always too cold. Its also fitting to this awesome pattern that the real cold air supportive for snow comes 12 hrs after the precip ends.

Often times the NAM has a bit of a southerly or easterly bias in SW flow type events beyond 36-48 hours and then starts coming north and west thereafter.

we don't know yet since this NAM has been upgraded and has been a much better performer since then.

This will be its first true SWFE test.

Often times the NAM has a bit of a southerly or easterly bias in SW flow type events beyond 36-48 hours and then starts coming north and west thereafter.

Before the upgrade. We dont know after it.

And storm is only 36 hours out. At hour 36, its in Virginia, while the globals are well north of that position.

Before the upgrade. We dont know after it.

And storm is only 36 hours out. At hour 36, its in Virginia, while the globals are well north of that position.

IF the NAM is right, then there's an outside shot of a little snow to NYC given better dynamics. One problem is the Euro, GFS, and the GGEM all disagree with the NAM.

Litchfieldlibations actually has a nice sounding at 39 hours but for the last .33 miles of the atmopshere.  Probably a few mangles flakes at the end before crystalization shuts down

KBDR's sounding

111221210246.gif

Isn't it a shame that's what we're hoping for? Still think the pattern changes around New Years? I'll be losing hope if no change my mid-Jan.

So weird seeing the GFS so much wetter then the NAM.

Usually the exact opposite.

GFS has over 1" of rain for the city and LI.

While the NAM only has .50" for the City and only .25"-.35" for LI.

GFS brings the storm further north--the NAM had the maximum in far S Jersey and southern DE, GFS has it further north.

high-res NAM from e-wall basically keeps places south of I-84 all rain, except for the very end

I think thats the sort of thing were looking at here. Even a place like danbury might not get much depending on how long dynamics support good snow growth.

For the Upton CWA, I only see parts of northern fairfield, putnam, and orange counties getting winter weather.

Archived