• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Holiday week storm(s) discussion

earthlight

I think the low level cold temp profiles will improve on the models if that high is found in that position and at that strength as depicted.

The models have been suggesting at 1030 + high in that spot for days now. The models have been slowly turning colder and south with each run. Lets see if the other models continue with this.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost for white plains at 48 hours, but look between -10 and -20, its not saturated, at all

111221143052.gif

Good Morning fellas... Glad to see one of these systems has a legit threat... I like the fact that the wind direction on the soundings show almost a due northerly wind.. That is a great wind direction in funnelling cold air down the hudson valley and giving us the greatest chance to lock in enough cold air.

Good Morning fellas... Glad to see one of these systems has a legit threat... I like the fact that the wind direction on the soundings show almost a due northerly wind.. That is a great wind direction in funnelling cold air down the hudson valley and giving us the greatest chance to lock in enough cold air.

Yeah Jay, agree, but the snow will shut down very quickly after 45 hours on that run. Thankfully we are still far enough out to see more shifts. If someone can get the best lift with the right amount of cold there will be a nice surprise somewhere. Its a trade off however, because this run came way south thus getting things colder but the best lift clearly never makes it to the places where it can snow.

KNYC soundings show all levels below freezing for NYC for hour 45 and hour 48 right up to the 950 level.

Surface is still 35-38 though.

Lack of diurnal heating and a decent high depicted at that position would lower those temps pretty easily IMO. What is the wind trajectory at 10m? It's probably N or NNE on the NAM.

There will still be about half the precip to come after 45 hrs.

Yeah Jay, agree, but the snow will shut down very quickly after 45 hours on that run. Thankfully we are still far enough out to see more shifts. If someone can get the best lift with the right amount of cold there will be a nice surprise somewhere. Its a trade off however, because this run came way south thus getting things colder but the best lift clearly never makes it to the places where it can snow.

yep.. definitely agree... it's a close call... definitely don't want a big virga storm like a good part of yesterday... we'll have to thread the needle pretty well. I'm pulling for this one to happen, because it's not looking particularly promising after that storm.

The 0z GFS and it's ensembles are showing the AO being negative just in time for this event coming up. Interesting.

00zgfsao.gif

Hi Ant - I think the overall score of the AO being negative might be just a coincidence, because if you look across the Arctic, there is a bit of a void in the vortex on the other side of the world.. but if you look in our neck of the wood, you'll see that the AO still looks highly positive... I think we are getting lucky whereby a lobe of cold air from the PV up north is swinging down at just the right time. It's one of those transient shots again, but we are lucky enough to have moisture coming up at the same time...

Hi Ant - I think the overall score of the AO being negative might be just a coincidence, because if you look across the Arctic, there is a bit of a void in the vortex on the other side of the world.. but if you look in our neck of the wood, you'll see that the AO still looks highly positive... I think we are getting lucky whereby a lobe of cold air from the PV up north is swinging down at just the right time. It's one of those transient shots again, but we are lucky enough to have moisture coming up at the same time...

I agree. The models are forecasting the AO to be extremely positive in the near term. This is how we can get lucky in a terrible pattern like we are in right now. All the models have been trending colder with the storm on Friday. The GFS looks like it's the warmest out of the bunch.

Just saw the NAM trend way south over night. I think Trials hit the nail on the head though, soundings really dont support anything more than a T-1 event at the moment. We'll have to watch the evolution of the best VV's and dynamics, temps seem to be getting more favorable with each run

Thinking NAM would be a sleet/graupel type event.

The 0z GFS and it's ensembles are showing the AO being negative just in time for this event coming up. Interesting.

The dip you see is the PV moved south and east for a hot minute with some ridging on the other side of the pole nosing its way in, its not significant enough in any way to affect this event.

yeah, that first article speaks to what I am referring to. Making snow flakes is going to be the challenge.

Sadly, SNWXY got slapped two weeks ago by that, although he had warning ;)

That was an issue for the entire Northeast.. lol Not just the HV. Besides the airmass in place is almost night and day from then..

The dip you see is the PV moved south and east for a hot minute with some ridging on the other side of the pole nosing its way in, its not significant enough in any way to affect this event.

yep, exactly.. that's what I was mentioning to Ant on the previous page.. it was more of a coincidence than anything

That was an issue for the entire Northeast.. lol Not just the HV. Besides the airmass in place is almost night and day from then..

Same kind of timing though.

You can see on the NAM maps on ewall the big problem with any SWFE event south of your area, the 850's jump north real fast when the best precip moves in. It's why earthlight cries himself to sleep during these events.

Lol, what the hell is the NAM trying to pull in the Gulf at hr 84?

NAM is more of a random number generator after 60 hours than anything else, so whatever is there, I wouldnt pay much attention to it.

Inside 60 hours though since its upgrade I have been most impressed, especially under 48.

SWF isnt a good representation of the Orange county area.. Especially southern & western areas which have considerably higher elevations..

In terms of elevation SWF isn't that far off from the rest of Orange County. Using GIS data and doing a quick (not scientific) calulation of all the contour lines in Orange County you get an average Orange County elevation of 662 feet, which is only about 200 feet higher than Stewart.

In terms of elevation SWF isn't that far off from the rest of Orange County. Using GIS data and doing a quick (not scientific) calulation of all the contour lines in Orange County you get an average Orange County elevation of 662 feet, which is only about 200 feet higher than Stewart.

Most elevation dependent events in the area usually have the 600-700' level as the deciding line.

NAM is more of a random number generator after 60 hours than anything else, so whatever is there, I wouldnt pay much attention to it.

Inside 60 hours though since its upgrade I have been most impressed, especially under 48.

yea.. essentially, it is trying to develop low pressure in response to the strong and tight upper closed low at 500 mb around that time frame.

Archived