Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Holiday week storm(s) discussion

earthlight

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z ECMWF brings a storm on 12/28, it passes to our south and is warm. It actually wouldn't take much for this to get more interesting. I think all that would be needed is for the northern stream to dig more and phase with the energy that is being left behind in the southern stream. Instead the northern stream helps to knock down the ridge thats in place along the coast initially.

f144.gif

f168.gif

The 12Z GFS has more semblance of a Xmas event than the Euro because it does not hang back the southern stream disturbance in the SW U.S., it "phases" slightly better but the real problem is more the southern system shears out.

Any smaller? :bag:

The Euro now shows a miller B for NNE on Christmas. I think this is the 1st time any model showed this.

Are they really that closely tied to the NAM? What is interesting to me is that they are all high resolution models, so they should be performing well, but if they are tied to the NAM, they can all be crap too.

All these models have a NAM type initialization and NAM data.

Its common to see them similar to eachother.

I am not saying you are wrong, but you have a very strong opinion when we have absolutely no precip maps to tell us anything.

there is nothing about that 500mb map or the surface map to the right showing a weak 1012 low out in the middle of the ocean to suggest that there is any precip worthy of mention

also, i would imagine the surface is an unmitigated torch with no fresh high pressure and no snow cover

You are probably right, just saying that I am not sure you can be certain. Are you a lawyer by trade?

there is nothing about that 500mb map or the surface map to the right showing a weak 1012 low out in the middle of the ocean to suggest that there is any precip worthy of mention

also, i would imagine the surface is an unmitigated torch with no fresh high pressure and no snow cover

SREFS have followed the NAM in the slp placement for Friday's system but its very toasty at the surface and barely cold enough at 850 for the area. More rain. Joy.

Though I am banking on rain for just about everyone the sref ensembles have not been to great lately. though interesting to see them shift south too.

this run of the NAM is going to look like all the other models I believe. You can already see the cold push at the 850 level is not there like the last run

no, it looks pretty much like the 12z, in fact, its surface low may be s and e of where it was at 12z.

and not that it matters too much, but the old eta continues to cool.

I would let the run play out to see if you get cold, colder, or coldest rain.

Archived