Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Holiday week storm(s) discussion

earthlight

Disco here, banter in the other thread.

Craptastic pattern but we happen to have a marginally supportive cold air source present over the N Tier of the US this coming weekend.

I suppose we could see some flakes fly if we time things well. But again, walking a fine line...any amplification in the height field without blocking always introduces ptype concerns.

Something to track, nevertheless. Get talking dudes! And think snow.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uptons take

THE NEXT WAVE COMES ABOUT LATE THURSDAY EVENING INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

FEEL RATHER CONFIDENT IN THIS SYSTEM BASED ON ENSEMBLE SUPPORT...BUT

FOR NOW HAVE HELD POPS TO 50% BASED ON COLLABORATION FROM

SURROUNDING OFFICES. TEMPS ARE MARGINAL AT BEST...BUT INLAND AREAS

DO LOOK LIKE A P-TYPE OF MAINLY SN. SNOW AMOUNTS OF AROUND 2 INCHES

ARE SUPPORTED (INLAND)...THOUGH TEMPS MAY SUPPORT MORE OF A

GRASSY...SECONDARY ROAD TYPE OF ACCUMULATION.

MAJOR UNCERTAINTY ARISES OVER THE WEEKEND WITH A PLETHORA OF

SOLUTIONS. THE GEFS DOES NOT SUPPORT THE 12Z GFS OPERATIONAL

RUN...BUT ALSO DOES NOT TRULY SUPPORT THE 12Z ECMWF EITHER. THE CMC

IS DRY. THE GEFS SEEMS TO BE LEANING MORE TOWARDS A SUNDAY INTO

EARLY MONDAY EVENT. THUS FOR NOW...HAVE GONE WITH THE LOW CHC POPS

SATURDAY AFTN INTO MONDAY WITH 40 POP CENTERED FOR SUNDAY. P TYPE IS

MAINLY LIQUID FOR THE COAST...BUT MAINLY SNOW NW...THOUGH WITH THE

HIGH UNCERTAINTY...HAVE NO CONFIDENCE FOR ANY POSSIBLE WINTER

WEATHER OUTLOOK AT THIS TIME.

-- End Changed Discussion --

My hopes are pretty low for all of these storms. Either it will rain with temps in the 40s/50 or we won't see anything. Usually if the models show marginal solutions several days out, they get worse as we get closer, especially in a La Nina with no blocking. It's absolutely going to suck if we get rain for Xmas eve and Xmas, I would have been happy with what the models showed a few days ago, a nice seasonally cold and dry xmas.

Definitely add me to the pessimistic camp on this. No blocking, not much of a cold air source. What cold air there is will easily be shunted out, and the storm could well ride well west of us, or well out to sea as a weak wave. Literally zero margin for error and nothing to lock cold air or a good track in. Count me out, until the horrendous pattern in the Arctic changes. And if that vortex redevelops over AK like some recent Euro runs have suggested, :axe: for us for at least a couple or few more weeks.

Can already see the 18z gfs going for a more amplified solution on the storm for xmas, probably a wetter euro solution. I think if we continue to see this trend of the second wave being the main player, we are pretty much up a boat without a paddle., save the mid-hudson valley. Even our northern burbs can't survive a coastal hugger since the deep cold just doesn't make it down here till after that storm passes.

Can already see the 18z gfs going for a more amplified solution on the storm for xmas, probably a wetter euro solution. I think if we continue to see this trend of the second wave being the main player, we are pretty much up a boat without a paddle., save the mid-hudson valley. Even our northern burbs can't survive a coastal hugger since the deep cold just doesn't make it down here till after that storm passes.

Pretty shocking with a 1032 high up north.

not really, because its not an arctic high and there is no block to keep the hp anchored and to kill the SE ridge.

This is why I wanted the major wave to be AFTER xmas when the cold was better anchored.

that's still a possibility--models will flip flop all over the place next few days--I would not put much stock into any one solution at this juncture especially from the horrid GFS

Compare the differences with the 12z GFS. This particular solution of the 18z GFS for the post-Christmas storm is one of the most amped runs that the GFS has produced for this storm thus far, because the northern and southern pieces of energy phase more, producing a stronger storm.

18zgfs850mbTSLPp06174.gif

18z GFS at 174 hours. Note the 1000 mb low pressure.

12zgfs850mbTSLPp06174.gif

The 12z GFS was weaker and less amplified, and was much further east than the 18z GFS was.

Not a bad look there for the third wave. I'm guessing we want the 2nd wave to be a tad flatter?

we want it to blow up over the gulf of maine up into the 50/50 area and not a second before then

we would get a better baroclynic zone that way and save some energy back into the midwest for future trough amplificaiton

Dougie and I were talking about the amplification yesterday and how we would be lacking it with the third wave and the 18z almost does it with stronger northern stream energy thus more digging and more phasing.

Yeah, the ridge is still a little flat, but it's certainly more amplified, which one, helps lead to stronger, more potent northern stream energy, and allows for a bit more cold air to filter down into our area.

the way this comes about has changed. Yesterday this was pieces of the vort in the sw, now its brand new energy in both steams. Same result, different way.

The energy in the sw completely ejects on the 23rd but gets sheered out thus the weaker xmas storm

then new energy comes in and phases but we get saved as the ridge moves east

sadly its all fantasy but this is our best shot for something, its not the xmas storm

How far up north? These surface highs when south enough seem to lock or stall and do not move fast enough. Not sure that would be the case without blocking. Have seen that happening.

It looks like it's in a perfect spot for us but like Trials said before, it's not an arctic high.

It looks like it's in a perfect spot for us but like Trials said before, it's not an arctic high.

wouldnt change much for us if it was, its transient and slide ots with zero confluence to shunt the vort to the south

but this is a good thing for the storm behind it, per my above posts

unfortunately, just like the euro suffers with energy out of the sw region, the gfs loves to sheer vorts into lettuce, so it could easily be mishandling the xmas storm

the way this comes about has changed. Yesterday this was pieces of the vort in the sw, now its brand new energy in both steams. Same result, different way.

The energy in the sw completely ejects on the 23rd but gets sheered out thus the weaker xmas storm

then new energy comes in and phases but we get saved as the ridge moves east

sadly its all fantasy but this is our best shot for something, its not the xmas storm

It's great that the ridge moves east, but I wish it wouldn't flatten out as it moves eastward. I know the ridge isn't "bad", but considering how horrible the Atlantic pattern is, I'm not sure we can really "ask" for anything out of our basin.

It's great that the ridge moves east, but I wish it wouldn't flatten out as it moves eastward. I know the ridge isn't "bad", but considering how horrible the Atlantic pattern is, I'm not sure we can really "ask" for anything out of our basin.

the most we can get is that xmas wave to blow up into a 50/50, that will help a little

the rest depends on what comes out of the two streams. Cross ur fingers.

Archived