joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Holiday week storm(s) discussion

earthlight

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z gfs isn't going to do anything on or after xmas. No amplification completely flat like the 6z.

Trend, or fact?

no clue.

I don't know.. it was hinting at this a few days ago and backed off.. now, it's back at it again... The Euro at least didn't look this torch like, did it? I haven't look at it in detail yet.

I don't know.. it was hinting at this a few days ago and backed off.. now, it's back at it again... The Euro at least didn't look this torch like, did it? I haven't look at it in detail yet.

the euro looks nothing like this. Its amplified.

the 00z ensembles of the gfs didn't look like this, its something the 6z gfs did.

Until i see the ensembles and the euro, i can't believe it.

I was just comparing the NH 500 maps of the Euro from last night and the GFS... It appears what is happening is that the GFS wants to completely cutoff and stretch the cutoff in the southwest and it allows ridging to build into the country more oriented in a west - east fashion rather than a more amplified north-south fashion that the Euro has... eventually the Euro merges that energy in the southwest as part of the broader wavelength.. whereas the GFS just completely loses that energy.. That orientation looks a bit weird in the GFS and the massive stretching kind of looks odd, although I don't know how possible it is.

I was just comparing the NH 500 maps of the Euro from last night and the GFS... It appears what is happening is that the GFS wants to completely cutoff and stretch the cutoff in the southwest and it allows ridging to build into the country more oriented in a west - east fashion rather than a more amplified north-south fashion that the Euro has... eventually the Euro merges that energy in the southwest as part of the broader wavelength.. whereas the GFS just completely loses that energy.. That orientation looks a bit weird in the GFS and the massive stretching kind of looks odd, although I don't know how possible it is.

yup, its a thorn in the side of all the models when we bury energy into the SW

Gfs then re-amplifies the pattern but by the time its done we lost the setup on the east coast.

The GFS has the vortex over alaska becoming an absolute beast.. we actually start getting good height anomolies over Greenland at that point, but there is absolutely no hope of amplfication in the pacific due to that overwhelming vortex. Hopefully this solution is way wrong

I'm actually a bit surprised that the surface reflection doesn't look better for us on the 28th.. that is a decent looking wave coming through.. it's too progressive, but I would have expected a bit more in the way of QPF output.

I think the GFS really fell off its rocker here. Up until hour 72 I thought it was going to be quite amplified.

Of course when the euro, ggem, and ensembles look the same way, we have issues, but until then, better to just assume the GFS laid an egg.

I think the GFS really fell off its rocker here. Up until hour 72 I thought it was going to be quite amplified.

Of course when the euro, ggem, and ensembles look the same way, we have issues, but until then, better to just assume the GFS laid an egg.

as long as a lot of the other major models are not in agreement with this at all, then it was basically a combo Giants/Jets week 15 performance... :facepalm:

JB's comments

Its Looks wrong.. again in the typical error mode.

it hands energy off to the front runner, and then flattens and destroys the system that could cause the Christmas storm. Obviously I am in no mood to change my ideas since the last one actually went too far west than what I had after its flat fiasco out to sea.

I will post later after I study everything, but for right now, the model closest to my idea is the euro"

JB's comments

Its Looks wrong.. again in the typical error mode.

it hands energy off to the front runner, and then flattens and destroys the system that could cause the Christmas storm. Obviously I am in no mood to change my ideas since the last one actually went too far west than what I had after its flat fiasco out to sea.

I will post later after I study everything, but for right now, the model closest to my idea is the euro"

I agree. The 12z GFS hands off more energy to first s/w moving across Lakes, than to the second s/w back over the Rockies. The 0z Euro and GFS was the opposite.

Archived