STREAMS TOO EASILY IN THE LONGER RANGE...SO SOMEWHAT SKEPTICAL OF

THESE SOLUTIONS AT THIS POINT.

FOR NOW...PLANNING ON ADDING CHANCE POPS FOR RAIN ON THURSDAY...AND

MIXED PRECIPITATION THURSDAY NIGHT TO COVER THE SOUTHERN STREAM

POTENTIAL...ESPECIALLY OVER THE SOUTH. WILL ALSO EXPAND THE CHANCE

POPS IN TIME TO COVER THE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT

PERIODS TO COVER THE BEST PROBABLE TIMING OF THE UPPER TROUGH

PASSAGE. THICKNESS PATTERNS AT THIS RANGE POINT TO MAINLY A SNOW

THREAT IN THE NORTH...AND A MIXED THREAT SOUTH.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry about to much...its only January. :wacko:

If we have started looking at what each 6z ensemble member shows at day 15-16 and picking out the worst case scenarios shown, paranoia is starting to set in :lol:. Although I do expect to hit 60F+ at some point in Jan/Feb, as well as below zero (ie: classic Nina). But the decided trend towards colder/snowier than normal weather will rule from mid-winter on (see Deedlers outlook).

wrt the storm, still lots of disagreement but with a storm now on many of the models, potential is there for a postcard Christmas, and it is in fact a likelihood for someone. Who? That is the mystery.

I know its the long range NAM but the end of the run looks mighty interesting...

nam_namer_084_500_vort_ht.gif

nam_namer_084_1000_500_thick_s.gif

Here's the 12z, continues the same idea, but remember the NAM has been NOGAPS bad this year. Worth pointing out that the phase is pretty late, gulf connection won't be great no matter what. Anytime i start seeing that kind of east/west orientated convection across the southern states, red flags go up.

nam_namer_084_500_vort_ht.gif

nam_namer_084_1000_500_thick.gif

If we have started looking at what each 6z ensemble member shows at day 15-16 and picking out the worst case scenarios shown, paranoia is starting to set in :lol:. Although I do expect to hit 60F+ at some point in Jan/Feb, as well as below zero (ie: classic Nina). But the decided trend towards colder/snowier than normal weather will rule from mid-winter on (see Deedlers outlook).

wrt the storm, still lots of disagreement but with a storm now on many of the models, potential is there for a postcard Christmas, and it is in fact a likelihood for someone. Who? That is the mystery.

Toronto hit close to 60F in January 1950, as did Ottawa. I have a feeling that we may be in for a similar winter due to the lack of blocking, as well as the La nina. December 1949 experienced similar conditions according to Don Sutherland. February 1950 turned out well though!

Toronto hit close to 60F in January 1950, as did Ottawa. I have a feeling that we may be in for a similar winter due to the lack of blocking, as well as the La nina. December 1949 experienced similar conditions according to Don Sutherland. February 1950 turned out well though!

Detroits warmest January temp on record was 67F on Jan 25, 1950. Ann Arbor hit 72F that day, just beyond incredible. That winter saw probably one of the most extreme temp roller coasters ever.

Temps near 60 on Dec 11-12, then on Dec 15 the high was 20F. Back into the mid-upper 50s on Dec 20-22. Temps spiked to the 55-60F range once again on Jan 3-4 before plunging to 4F on Jan 8th but nearing 60F again on the 10th. On the 11th lows were already back into the teens with highs below freezing, then back into the low 60s on the 13th! Lows in the single digits were once again felt Jan 18-20 before temps soared to the upper 50s on the 24th and the aforementioned 67 on Jan 25th. It was back in the low teens by morning of the 27th. Though there were some days in the 40s in Feb, overall it was much more wintry. Detroit still saw 42.8" of snow that winter.

I think that's how its going to be the rest of the winter..bunch of 1-2" events with a couple 4"+ events.

I'm just baffled with the majority of these predictions. Your a smart guy and in fact the majority of the patrons on this forum are..but in a hobby or craft where 2 weeks is la la land, it makes no sense to bank everything you got on a hunch. Climo is your crystal ball not the fooking GFS.

Very few of the 12z GFS ensemble members support the OP model with regards to that Christmas Eve wave. They're either more robust with that lead wave (but still a miss for virtually all of us, except for some of the OH posters) or they hold energy back and create a post-Christmas storm, but still, a miss to our east verbatim.

Very few of the 12z GFS ensemble members support the OP model with regards to that Christmas Eve wave. They're either more robust with that lead wave (but still a miss for virtually all of us, except for some of the OH posters) or they hold energy back and create a post-Christmas storm, but still, a miss to our east verbatim.

Geez, you dont have to shout :lol: j/k

GFS just caught onto this at 18z, if its going to happen, ensembles will catchup.

Archived