• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What do you consider the best consecutive winter stretch since 1950?

gymengineer

I did this topic before at Eastern, which generated good discussion, so thought I would revive it here.

What do you consider the best consecutive winter stretch since 1950? I didn't go back before 1950 since none on this board would really remember them first-hand.

Here are options I picked out, but feel free to add your own:

'59/'60 and '60/'61

Rationale: Snow season '59/'60 didn't get going until February, but then was one of the best late seasons ever for DC. 2/60-3/60 accounted for the whole season's 24.3" at DCA. Then, winter picked right back up in one of the all-time great winters of '60/'61-- by far the most 1"+ snow cover days in one winter ever at DCA.

'65/'66 and '66/'67

Rationale: Super late January for RIC and DC in '66, capped off by the iconic blizzard for the DC area. Then, '66/'67 had four separate 6"+ snowstorms at DCA, which DCA has seen only two other times ('60/'61 and '09/'10 season).

'77/'78 through '79/'80

Rationale: Three consecutive seasons over 20" at DCA! '77/'78 had a great January through March, even if no single storm went over 6" at DCA- ice storms, snow/sleet/rain messes, clippers, and a great March. 2/79 is still one of DC's best snow months ever. 1/80 and 3/80 both featured 6"+ storms in the area.

'81/'82 and '82/'83

Rationale: Classic cold, wintry, frequent snow month in 1/82. Then, underrated '82/'83 snow season with three substantial snowstorms in December and February. Of course, 2/10-11/83 is still at the top of widespread thundersnow events for the area.

'86/'87 and '87/'88

Rationale: Late 1/87 through early 1/88 will probably never be repeated: Five separate 8" snowstorms.

I did this topic before at Eastern, which generated good discussion, so thought I would revive it here.

What do you consider the best consecutive winter stretch since 1950? I didn't go back before 1950 since none on this board would really remember them first-hand.

'59/'60 and '60/'61

Rationale: Snow season '59/'60 didn't get going until February, but then was one of the best late seasons ever for DC. 2/60-3/60 accounted for the whole season's 24.3" at DCA. Then, winter picked right back up in one of the all-time great winters of '60/'61-- by far the most 1"+ snow cover days in one winter ever at DCA.

'65/'66 and '66/'67

Rationale: Super late January for RIC and DC in '66, capped off by the iconic blizzard for the DC area. Then, '66/'67 had four separate 6"+ snowstorms at DCA, which DCA has seen only two other times ('60/'61 and '09/'10 season).

'77/'78 through '79/'80

Rationale: Three consecutive seasons over 20" at DCA! '77/'78 had a great January through March, even if no single storm went over 6" at DCA- ice storms, snow/sleet/rain messes, clippers, and a great March. 2/79 is still one of DC's best snow months ever. 1/80 and 3/80 both featured 6"+ storms in the area.

'81/'82 and '82/'83

Rationale: Classic cold, wintry, frequent snow month in 1/82. Then, underrated '82/'83 snow season with three substantial snowstorms in December and February. Of course, 2/10-11/83 is still at the top of widespread thundersnow events for the area.

'86/'87 and '87/'88

Rationale: Late 1/87 through early 1/88 will probably never be repeated: Five separate 8" snowstorms.

For BWI:

March 2009 to February 2010 was the best stretch ever and will never be topped.

Also the winters from 92/93 to 95/96 had it all too: 93 was the superstorm (and above average snow), 94 was the iciest winter ever and the coldest of my lifetime, and 95/96 was the blizzard of 96 and second snowiest winter ever. Although its not technically "consecutive" because we had the lame 95 winter in between.

'59/'60 and '60/'61

'65/'66 and '66/'67

'77/'78 through '79/'80

'81/'82 and '82/'83

'86/'87 and '87/'88

great list....

I think

02-03 and 03-04 deserves runner up status....03-04 probably keeps it from making the top cut, but it had 2 decent multi-day event storms.....with 12/4-6 and1/25-27 continuing the trend set in FEB 2003 with PD2 and then 2/25-28...plus the extremely cold January...still the coldest since 1994

It will probably be the 77-80 stretch for me. Some of my fondest childhood memories. Especially the blizzard. Got up early to open the garage and start shoveling. I couldn't believe how deep the snow was. Plus, no school for a week.

I'm too serious about everything nowadays. Best winters will always be the ones when I was a child.

not to belittle any of the others listed because they are all great, but I would hone in on Norestercane's period and say 1/30/10-2/10/10 will be the best 12 days of my winter life, hands down

runner ups would be 1/25/79-2/19/79, 2/5/03-3/10/03 and 1/5/96-1/13/96

as for multi-month stretches, I would go with Noreastercane again, except cut it back to end on 2/10/11 only because we got screwed at the end of Feb., 2010 which, as I stated before, began last year's pattern and the horrid stretch that continues (arguably) through today

consecutive winters would be those of my early childhood of 63/64-67/68

EDIT: since the 60's, we haven't been able to put together decent back-to-back winters of note

not to belittle any of the others listed because they are all great, but I would hone in on Norestercane's period and say 1/30/10-2/10/10 will be the best 12 days of my winter life, hands down

That had nearly 60" in that 12 day period alone, which is absolutely ungodly for our region, let alone any major city in the world.

Feb 5-20, 2003 doesn't even come close.

That had nearly 60" in that 12 day period alone, which is absolutely ungodly for our region, let alone any major city in the world.

Feb 5-20, 2003 doesn't even come close.

I believe we did better those 12 days than any 12 day stretch for anyone in NE last year (outside the mts, of course, and possibly Maine because I don't really follow their wx)

I believe we did better those 12 days than any 12 day stretch for anyone in NE last year (outside the mts, of course, and possibly Maine because I don't really follow their wx)

Not surprising, since it's a ridiculous amount of snow in that span of time for pretty much anywhere outside of mountainous terrain.

runner ups would be 1/25/79-2/19/79, 2/5/03-3/10/03 and 1/5/96-1/13/96

as for multi-month stretches, I would go with Noreastercane again, except cut it back to end on 2/10/11 only because we got screwed at the end of Feb., 2010 which, as I stated before, began last year's pattern and the horrid stretch that continues (arguably) through today

consecutive winters would be those of my early childhood of 63/64-67/68

EDIT: since the 60's, we haven't been able to put together decent back-to-back winters of note

I agree if we are talking about a few weeks. That was the most impressive of my lifetime too. I think the OP is talking about consecutive years though.

great list....

I think

02-03 and 03-04 deserves runner up status....03-04 probably keeps it from making the top cut, but it had 2 decent multi-day event storms.....with 12/4-6 and1/25-27 continuing the trend set in FEB 2003 with PD2 and then 2/25-28...plus the extremely cold January...still the coldest since 1994

Yeah, 12/03 was a special month for anybody N and W of city. The early month storm is that last one we've had where we had a 12/69-type gradient in our immediate metro area. (12/5/09 maxed out as moderate, not major, for the area). From DCA to Damascus was a 3" to 14" span.

I think if the late January storm had been into the 10" category, more people would remember that winter fondly. It was another classic DC-style winter with a gloppy snowstorm, snow to rain, decent 6" powder storm, freezing drizzle for more than a day, and topped off with two freezing rain storms in early February that did nothing in the city.

Yeah, 12/03 was a special month for anybody N and W of city. The early month storm is that last one we've had where we had a 12/69-type gradient in our immediate metro area. (12/5/09 maxed out as moderate, not major, for the area). From DCA to Damascus was a 3" to 14" span.

I think if the late January storm had been into the 10" category, more people would remember that winter fondly. It was another classic DC-style winter with a gloppy snowstorm, snow to rain, decent 6" powder storm, freezing drizzle for more than a day, and topped off with two freezing rain storms in early February that did nothing in the city.

yes...i think there would have had to be a moderate change to that winter to push it into the list with the rest....

It wasn't an awful winter...but it wasn't great either.....I ended up with below average snow for the season...around 13-14" in dupont circle......I think if 12/14/03 hadn't gotten washed away and we didn't go kind of mild it may have changed things...3-4" would have stuck around easily for much of the rest of the month in even a half decent air mass...it was already raining when I woke up....it rained again mid-week I think and then the 2nd half of DEC was uneventful and warmish....the final 3 weeks of January were incredible in terms of the persistent cold, but I think we needed another decent snow event in there...I had 2 cartop events I don't remember well and then 1/26-27.....that was before we/I really knew that events with a decent southern stream trend north....it looked iffy for a while on models and then there was a ton of virga.....but it had no problem getting up here...so yes...it was missing something substantial....even a couple 3" storms in February could have salvaged it a bit more

I choose the late 70's period. Some really cold stretches, especially (I think) January, '77, and then all culminating with the '79 blizzard. As a side note, that first blizzard was touted as "once in a lifetime" and I remember feeling a little sad that at 16 years old I had experienced the biggest snowstorm of my life. Who knew?

Not listed but I also enjoyed the stretch from Thanksgiving to Christmas, 1989, for relentless cold and seemingly weekly clippers that gave us snow cover for the entire holiday season.

Archived