• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
12/7-12/8 Potential Event Discussion Part II

earthlight

6z NAM and GFS bufkit, showing the potential max wind gusts 40- 45mph early tomorrow morning at LGA.

We'll see if the low can bomb out faster than forecast. Maybe some spots especially as you

go out across Long Island can pick up higher gusts. The vort is really intense with a

coupled upper jet.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're (NYC and east) probably going to be slotted for much of the storm as the banding and SN/RA get going to the west. I wonder is a rumble or two of thunder is possible with the low as it moves past? Definitely looks like a lot of lift and instability with the vort. And wind as the CAA mixes down post-fropa.

We're (NYC and east) probably going to be slotted for much of the storm as the banding and SN/RA get going to the west. I wonder is a rumble or two of thunder is possible with the low as it moves past? Definitely looks like a lot of lift and instability with the vort. And wind as the CAA mixes down post-fropa.

Looking forward to it...also on 880 craig allen was a little bullish with his snowfall, said up to 6 for NW jersey and coating to an inch suburbs nearby city, but nothing sticking in city...while noaa has lows around 39 and rain...

NAM pushes the dryslot right up to LI and NYC at 8pm tonight and keeps NYC and LI out of the heaviest rains.

Very similar to the October storm, in regards to the dry push in the 700 level.

Total QPF for LI is only .25"-.50" and for NYC only .50" from 8pm tonight until end of storm.

12znamp24_NE036.gif

Looking forward to it...also on 880 craig allen was a little bullish with his snowfall, said up to 6 for NW jersey and coating to an inch suburbs nearby city, but nothing sticking in city...while noaa has lows around 39 and rain...

NAM soundings show NYC at 34 degrees, tomorrow morning at 7am.

Not even. Wind maps barely show a weak gust into NYC or CT. Only eastern LI has some wind as the storm departs.

Maybe there could be a "squall line" and some heavy rain/thunder as the low passes by. I agree, given the low track and heavy precip west of the track, we're going to be in the dryslot for most of it. Maybe a very quick 0.5" of rain or so with the passage of the front east of the city, and whatever wind comes after. The action for this will very much be well west of the city.

Damn.... @ hr18 we are getting smoked up this way... Gonna be fun watching this unfold tonight

Looking at soundings for your area:

-Through hour 15 you are all rain. At hour 15, you are 39 degrees with 850's at +1.9. With 1.38" of rain fallen already.

-By Hour 18, surface is down to 33 degrees and 850's are -1.7.

So according to the NAM you flip to snow around hour 17 or 18.

Problem is that there isnt much precip left after this. Only .26"-.30"

1"-3" likely for you according to the NAM.

http://68.226.77.253...NAM212_KMGJ.txt

ok..

Woops, I was using Stewart for you, didn't realize Montgomery airport had soudings.

They look better for you, but still sticking with the 1-3, jackpot of 4. Problem further west, as pointed out by the other poster, is there is less precip than there would be east of you.

This is why I love living west of I-287, we get in on all the extra snowfall that the city misses out on. I seem to be in almost the perfect location the last few years, just far enough west to get mostly snow yet close enough to the coast to not miss out on the big noreasters. :thumbsup:

Anybody from Butler north up through Ringwood, Vernon, West Milford and into Orange County should easily see 4"+

Bottomline is anyone with some good longitude up this way and above 500' should get 4"+.. Pretty much as I expected..

Not seeing it, but I hope you do get 4+, i never root against fellow nyc metro people to get snow, except for mount earthlight, he has had enough.

Woops, I was using Stewart for you, didn't realize Montgomery airport had soudings.

They look better for you, but still sticking with the 1-3, jackpot of 4. Problem further west, as pointed out by the other poster, is there is less precip than there would be east of you.

And im still a good amount west of MGJ..

Hr 15 on the 12z GFS the low center is right off the NJ coast, just east of ACY and then it's over the eastern tip of LI three hours later with still some decent QPF over the region. I can't tell when exactly the surface temps bomb out but the 850 temps look to drop fast enough to allow for at least 3-4hrs of moderate snow west of the city. The GFS also gives us between 2 and 3" of total QPF.

850's are below zero at hour 21. 925mb temps fall below zero between 18-21 hrs. RH is ~70% for both 700mb and 850mb, but 500 dries out. Most likely either a mix of light rain/snow or some light snow at the end if cold enough.

It has less than .1 falling after 06z tonight when temps are still in the upper 30s/low 40s....by the time any decent cold air works in the precip has ended. Not saying it can't snow for a bit on the backside but it certainly won't stick to anything.

GFS looks interesting . Maybe ending as a few hours ofsnow for Philly and NYC?

Archived