• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
12/7-12/8 Potential Event Discussion Part II

earthlight

did you need a model to tell you this? i guess so....

but learn your lesson for the next time we are in a hideous upper air pattern and the models spit out some snow.

and this isnt about being positive or negative for an upcoming event. its taking off the snow goggles and being objective at what it takes to get snow in nyc.

The thing is that if the storm took a more easterly track, like all models had yesterday, we would have all picked up some snow.

All it took was 50-100 miles to put us on the rain side.

A 50-100 mile shift, whether it be west or east has NOTHING to do with the pattern.

The fact that we came this close to a snow event, is pretty amazing, given the current pattern.

But this storm is all rain because of a small shift in position.

If models stayed east over the BM without tucking into LI, we would've all seen a few hours of changeover snow.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is that if the storm took a more easterly track, like all models had yesterday, we would have all picked up some snow.

All it took was 50-100 miles to put us on the rain side.

A 50-100 mile shift, whether it be west or east has NOTHING to do with the pattern.

The fact that we came this close to a snow event, is pretty amazing, given the current pattern.

But this storm is all rain because of a small shift in position.

If models stayed east over the BM without tucking into LI, we would've all seen a few hours of changeover snow.

yes we would have. I agree.

and this is my whole point really....that very small differences in a crappy pattern are magnified.

I want snow, always.

but I use the forum to learn from people that know a lot about this stuff....i guess others on here dont.

Good eye dude. Looks like a good 5-7 mile shift east.

Thanks! What I did to determine the placement of the low in relation to the low placement in the prior run was that I simply opened up two browser tabs and compared them. :lol: The 850s getting colder and the GFS ticking NE almost put my location in West North Central New Jersey back into the deformation band with heavy snow.

Small improvements on 18z models.

We have 4 more model cycles, 0z, 6z, 12z and 18z to get through before storm.

We have all seen last minute jumps west or east in the past. Jan. 10, 2011 had a big east shift, 6 hours before storm.

Not saying it will happen with this storm, but just pointing out that there are still 4 even 5, if you include 0z tomorrow night, model cycles to get through.

yes we would have. I agree.

and this is my whole point really....that very small differences in a crappy pattern are magnified.

I want snow, always.

but I use the forum to learn from people that know a lot about this stuff....i guess others on here dont.

I would argue that a low track on top of Cape May, NJ and then to eastern LI would put NYC/LI on the rain/snow line even on a good pattern on December 8th.

The 850 0c line being farther east is a hallucination on the 18z NAM...in actuality it is warmer at the 850mb level. Yes, those are 850mb temperatures of almost 8 c in Western Nassau county.

http://www.meteo.psu...APA_18z/f36.gif

The reason being is that the temperature gradient is really sharp on the 18z NAM. That run was colder for me in C NJ because it almost took the 0C 850 mb Temp east of me. I needed to take a closer look and see I'm between 0 and 1 Degree C at 850 mb. I'm just about in the deform band on the image that you just posted.

I can't remember any storm where there was much wiggle room for the NYC metro. We don't live in a good location for snow.

It is a much, much better spot than Norfolk....and much better than nearby ACY....there is wiggle room...not as much as say in Albany...but a few things can not be right and snow will still fall...take it from me...moved here 40 years ago....

It is a much, much better spot than Norfolk....and much better than nearby ACY....there is wiggle room...not as much as say in Albany...but a few things can not be right and snow will still fall...take it from me...moved here 40 years ago....

he makes it sound like we are living on the coast of South Carolina.

The surface low is actually onshore west of Ocean City, Maryland at 24 hours...god this is terrible.

All i want for Christmas is a Davis Straight block.

What were you expecting, honestly? It's just like 2007, except its worse for some, like SNE, because they were cashing in then and they are sitting up there now praying for a trend east to hopefully get into a CCB

Archived