The ECMWF is the model of choice, and has been extremely
consistent with it`s mass fields.

South central Missouri will have better moisture to available to
this system, therefore the heavier amounts of snow are expected
out there.

At this time, the precipitation type looks to be all snow. Snow
will exit the Ozarks early Wednesday morning. I think a dry slot
is very likely with this type of storm structure, therefore, the
snow could come to an abrupt end Tuesday night.

This system will also drag another Canadian airmass into the
Ozarks, causing overnight lows to fall back into the single digits
Thursday and Friday mornings.

Speaking of Friday morning, another winter storm will approach
from the west, with additional snow chances expected.

It`s starting to get active...stay safe this weekend !

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yah I'm looking for something different next yr like a Nino. That northern stream just seems to smash everything and moves too fast.

Yeah, years such as 2002-2003 (snowy) and back in the late 70's (all snowy years) were El Nino's after consecutive La Nina years. 

I would enjoy the upcoming winter weather in case we don't get any until next winter. 

Yeah, years such as 2002-2003 (snowy) and back in the late 70's (all snowy years) were El Nino's after consecutive La Nina years.

I would enjoy the upcoming winter weather in case we don't get any until next winter.

Yeah, I doubt us in Oklahoma and Arkansas get much more out of this winter. If it snows I will definitely make the most of it. :-) The folks in Kansas and MO still have a pretty good chance at seeing more snow by spring in my opinion. Probably a late Feb early march storm.

Yeah, I doubt us in Oklahoma and Arkansas get much more out of this winter. If it snows I will definitely make the most of it. :-) The folks in Kansas and MO still have a pretty good chance at seeing more snow by spring in my opinion. Probably a late Feb early march storm.

You all look to get nailed with the 2nd storm next Friday or so. 

The track difference between the 18z NAM and GFS on the Sunday system is over 125 miles. The NAM hits SW MO/NWA while the GFS is down around Fort Smith.

I'd take that, too bad it's the NAM, lol

A general 2-6" snowfall across our area with the Sunday system on the 18z NAM.

EDIT: (The Euro is south)

The NAM's been pretty consistent with the track except for the 18z which had it way further north.  The 00z GFS was also south and maybe even a tad further south than the NAM.  If JoMo doesn't give us good news on the Canadian or the Euro we start writing that one off.   It also looks like Tuesday's system was warmer on the GFS which had more of a rain/fz rain scenario.   I'm going to be pissed if we miss out on snow on both Sunday and Tuesday.  

But, regardless of how it's been recently I always prefer the Euro over most all other models.  The NAM is almost always overdone on QPF.  Let's hope for a little more northward push by 12z runs tomorrow or we might just have to throw in the towel.  Too early for that yet though.  

00z GGEM has the first two systems kind of meh now... The first one is south like the GFS.... The second one is a bit north but the "Friday" system next week looks good for you all down there.  Waiting on the Euro in 30 mins or so. 

00z Euro says the second system has less QPF and may just be a hair farther north. Not a lot of difference from the 12z run, although there is less precip with a general 1.5-3.5" showing up with this system. Average will be around 2" most places. 

Looks like you all are going to have some fun tracking systems for the next couple days! SGF's long term disco sounds pretty interesting.

.LONG TERM...(Saturday night through Friday)
Issued at 258 AM CST FRI JAN 31 2014

Cold Canadian airmass will settle in for the latter half of the
weekend into early next week. Have followed the ECMWF closely with
the latest trends from Sunday through the end of next week.
There
will be an upper level wave moving south of the area Sunday
afternoon. There has been a slight trend to bring some precip
northward into southern Missouri Sunday afternoon. Will mention
light snow possible for extreme southern Missouri with best
chances south of our area. A light dusting may be possible for
areas of far southern Missouri.

The potential is increasing of a significant winter storm will
move in Monday night through Tuesday night. Models are converging
on a solution but still have some minor differences on thermal
profiles and amounts. Snow will begin to develop and move in late
Monday night into Tuesday morning with Tuesday morning through
early afternoon being the prime time for snow and some of it looks
like it could be heavy at times. There maybe some a wintry mix of
sleet and snow for areas over far southern Missouri.

Will start mentioning some decent accumulating snow looks
increasing likely for the Ozarks with this system. QPF will be on
the order of half an inch to an inch. At least several inches of
snowfall if not more seem very likely. This winter storm
potential will need to be watched closely through the weekend for
forecast trends.
That storm system will move out of the area
Tuesday night.

Very cold airmass moves in for middle and end of next week with
fresh snow cover expected and high pressure overhead...temperatures
will be very cold and especially overnight lows
. Long range models are
still indicating the potential of another significant winter storm
sometime by the end of next week as well. Very active weather
pattern starting this weekend through end of next week.

12z Euro doesn't have a lot of difference from last nights run with the Sunday system, nearly identical but a bit warmer and a bit less precip overall. 

For the Tuesday system, the Euro is a bit farther south than it's 00z run, and has more precip this run, so between the two systems, a general 2-6" of 'snow' shows up across our area. 

The Euro now has a weak overrunning system on Thursday with very cold temps so probably high snow ratios with that.

Even more overrunning on Friday, but it's a little heavier, but targets SE KS and northern OK back into central Kansas. 

A weak round of precip showing up on Saturday and I think that's going to be it. 

By fun, you mean a skating rink? If that comes to fruition, thats going to be a nasty icing event.

Fun.... as in active. Looks like it stays snow in your area? It's icy in my area on the GFS.

It looks very close on the Euro for the Tuesday system. 850 MB temps hovering within a degree or two of above freezing. Areas of NW AR and NE OK and S MO may get a mix of something to snow. 

Fun.... as in active. Looks like it stays snow in your area? It's icy in my area on the GFS.

It looks very close on the Euro for the Tuesday system. 850 MB temps hovering within a degree or two of above freezing. Areas of NW AR and NE OK and S MO may get a mix of something to snow. 

Yeah it stays all snow around here. Out this way, this pattern we are getting into maybe just what the doctor ordered as far as severe weather season. Snow all the way to the front range, and a cold wave coming in to ensure it won't go anywhere fast.

Keep me posted all. I am on the go and on the road this weekend. I am in the Nevada/El Dorado Springs area. Will be heading back toward Monett tomorrow. Hope that we don't get that glaze of ice that they were talking about until we get home. Then it can do what it wants. :) 

Archived