joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the latest CFS for Feb or what are the euro weeklies implying?

Both the Euro Weeklies (from Thursday) and the 06z CFS have a warmup mid-month due to the GOA low. The weeklies eventually retrograde it NW and bring the ridge back over the Pacific so towards the end of the month and into March, we may get cooler again. The issue being that if the GOA low develops and sits there, it may not move out until winter is basically over. Hence, why I'm hoping we can get some decent snowfall during the next week or so.

Well, if the northward trend verifies, I guess we can pencil in another week-long metro OKC shutdown, given the mainly sub-freezing highs expected next week. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I'm trying not to get sucked into the last minute northerly bump, but it has definitely caught my eye. This week could be sloppy, closings wise. 

Assuming there is a snowpack down this way after tomorrow does this help much for the temp profiles on Tuesday?  I know the track will matter a lot but I wonder how much the snowpack would help to keep us away from ice.  

It'll keep the surface temps lower, but I don't think it will matter much since this is an open wave, the dry slot will be wherever the 500 mb low goes. 

OUN has upgraded us to WWAs so they are buying into the slight northward trend for tomorrow as am I. Oddly enough, they are still only calling for a 30% chance of snow. Mind you, I still think like a Jersey boy so the issue may be in my poor understanding of local weather, but it seems odd to be under a WWA with only a 30% chance of anything measurable even falling from the sky.

Here's the 00z NAM for both systems. I'm not sure I'm buying into the warmup with the second system. There should be a snow pack from Sunday's system still around, and I'm not sure if temps will rise as much as the NAM thinks. (which probably turns some of the precip to rain, so it won't be plotted on this map)

nam414.png

Here's the 00z NAM for both systems. I'm not sure I'm buying into the warmup with the second system. There should be a snow pack from Sunday's system still around, and I'm not sure if temps will rise as much as the NAM thinks. (which probably turns some of the precip to rain, so it won't be plotted on this map)

nam414.png

And the 00z GFS for both. (darn dryslot)

gfsdryslot.png

Archived