joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro not as strong with the Feb 2nd system and a bit farther south with the band of frozen precip taking it across southern OK and far southern areas of NW AR. 

Now the Euro has come back north with the Feb 4th storm and it would be a big storm for the area. Much of OK except the far south... Roughly the northern half of Arkansas...  all of Missouri, and all of Kansas get frozen precip with the heaviest being over Arkansas and southern Missouri although there are 6" amounts in OK as well. 

Rest of the run is kind of a mess again with all sorts of energy spinning around in the west. Probably should wait to see if that gets sorted out. 

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK
316 PM CST WED JAN 29 2014

.DISCUSSION...

FAIRLY ACTIVE FORECAST PERIOD...WITH HEIGHTENED FIRE WEATHER
CONCERNS TOMORROW BEFORE ATTENTION TURNS TO INCREASING POTENTIAL
FOR WINTER PRECIP ACCUMULATIONS.

ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES WILL MAKE A RETURN TO MOST OF EASTERN
OKLAHOMA AND NORTHWEST ARKANSAS TOMORROW AHEAD OF THE NEXT COLD
FRONT SET TO MOVE THROUGH THE REGION FRIDAY. WITH INCREASING LOW
LEVEL MOISTURE UNDER PERSISTENT SOUTHERLY FLOW...IT IS POSSIBLE
THAT SOME LOW LEVEL STRATUS MAY PROVIDE SOME HINDRANCE TO THE WARM
UP...BUT PROBABLY NOT ENOUGH TO KEEP HIGHS FROM WARMING TO ABOVE
CURRENT GUIDANCE VALUES. IT DOES NOT APPEAR THAT WE WILL REACH RED
FLAG CRITERIA...BUT ESPECIALLY THE ARKANSAS COUNTIES WILL HAVE TO
BE WATCHED CLOSELY. A FIRE DANGER STATEMENT WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED
WITH THE MID SHIFT FORECAST PACKAGE.

LOW PRECIP CHANCES CONTINUE TO LOOK POSSIBLE ALONG THE KANSAS AND
MISSOURI BORDERS DURING THE DAY FRIDAY AS THE AFOREMENTIONED COLD
FRONT APPROACHES AND LOW LEVEL MOISTURE INCREASES. TEMPERATURES
LOOK TO BE COLD ENOUGH INITIALLY TO SUPPORT SOME LIGHT FREEZING
RAIN BOTH EARLY FRIDAY MORNING AND AGAIN FRIDAY NIGHT.
ANY ICE ACCUMULATIONS AND IMPACTS DO NOT LOOK SIGNIFICANT DURING
THIS TIME FRAME.

MORE WIDESPREAD WINTRY PRECIPITATION IS ON TRACK FOR SUNDAY AND
INTO SUNDAY NIGHT...AS A STRONG SHORTWAVE SWINGS THROUGH OKLAHOMA
AND ARKANSAS. WITH COLD AIR ALREADY IN PLACE...THE TEMPERATURE
STRUCTURE CURRENTLY LOOKS TO SUPPORT SNOW IN THE NORTH...AND SOME
POTENTIAL FOR SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN FURTHER SOUTH. THE RUN TO
RUN CONSISTENCY HAS BEEN POOR WITH THIS FEATURE...SO THERE REMAINS
CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY ON WHICH PART OF THE FORECAST AREA WILL
BE MOST AFFECTED. HOWEVER...MOST MODEL DATA HAS POINTED TOWARD
NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA AND NORTHWEST ARKANSAS...SO WILL CONTINUE TO
FORECAST THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS NORTH OF INTERSTATE 40. ANY PRECIP
SHOULD MOVE OUT BEFORE MONDAY MORNING...LEAVING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS
MONDAY MOSTLY DRY.

A MORE POTENT SYSTEM CONTINUES TO BE ON TRACK FOR MONDAY NIGHT
THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...AS A MORE AMPLIFIED UPPER SHORTWAVE MOVES
OUT OF THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED STATES THROUGH THE SOUTHERN PLAINS.
COLD AIR WILL CONTINUE TO BE IN PLACE ACROSS EASTERN OKLAHOMA AND
NORTHWEST ARKANSAS. MORE MOISTURE IS LIKELY TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH
THIS SYSTEM...AND THEREFORE...THE POTENTIAL FOR HIGHER
ICE/SNOW/SLEET ACCUMULATIONS IS GREATER. AS WITH THE SUNDAY
PRECIP...UNCERTAINTY REMAINS HIGH WITH THIS SYSTEM...WITH
CONTINUED POOR MODEL CONSISTENCY. ITS WORTH NOTING THAT THE
SOUTHERN SHIFT IN THE PRECIP SEEMS TO BE A SHORT LIVED
TREND...WITH THE 12Z MODELS LOOKING MORE SIMILAR TO THEIR 12Z
COUNTERPARTS FROM YESTERDAY THAN THEIR 00Z RUNS /ESPECIALLY THE
ECMWF/. MOISTURE/TEMPERATURE STRUCTURE IN TODAYS DATA CONTINUE TO
SUPPORT THE POTENTIAL FOR ADVISORIES AND/OR WARNINGS DOWN THE ROAD
IF NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES OCCUR IN THE DATA TRENDS. DECISION
MAKERS ARE URGED TO KEEP TRACK OF THE
FORECASTS/STATEMENTS/DISCUSSIONS OVER THE COMING DAYS...NOTING
THAT ELEMENTS OF THIS FORECAST ARE LIKELY TO CHANGE BETWEEN NOW
AND TUESDAY.

Just curious...where are you getting the new GFS run from? If its quicker than InstantWeatherMaps or Weatherbell, perhaps I should be looking for a new place to get forecast data. 

I think he's talking about the 18z GFS.  The nightly GFS doesn't start until around 9:30. 

Just curious...where are you getting the new GFS run from? If its quicker than InstantWeatherMaps or Weatherbell, perhaps I should be looking for a new place to get forecast data. 

Twisterdata is super slow so I don't use it very often except for the 6z run that I look at when I wake up in the morning since it's already finished running.  I use InstantWeatherMaps most of the time.  Wxcaster has some cool maps to look at but I think you have to wait until the entire run is over.  I really miss the Raleigh (I think that's what they were called) maps.  They had pretty awesome snowfall maps but for some reason I can't find those anymore.  I've seen a few folks on the other forums post a map from there every now and then so it apparently still exists.  

Twisterdata is super slow so I don't use it very often except for the 6z run that I look at when I wake up in the morning since it's already finished running.  I use InstantWeatherMaps most of the time.  Wxcaster has some cool maps to look at but I think you have to wait until the entire run is over.  I really miss the Raleigh (I think that's what they were called) maps.  They had pretty awesome snowfall maps but for some reason I can't find those anymore.  I've seen a few folks on the other forums post a map from there every now and then so it apparently still exists.  

Raleighwx maps are the AmericanWx model center maps aren't they? They went to subscription. 

00z GFS.. Looks like a nice snowfall across Northeast Kansas and Northern Missouri on Friday Night/Saturday. 

South with the 2nd wave on Sunday... across southern OK. 

Well, that was anti-climatic... Basically the big storm is just a trough on the GFS.

00z GFS.. Looks like a nice snowfall across Northeast Kansas and Northern Missouri on Friday Night/Saturday. 

South with the 2nd wave on Sunday... across southern OK. 

Well, that was anti-climatic... Basically the big storm is just a trough on the GFS.

Yah if Euro does that we may be done. My bet is still on a strong wave by tuesday.

Still not quite there with next weeks storm per the 12z GFS, for most of us anyway.  It does look better than the 0z run last night.  Trying to come around to a Memphis low situation which normally can produce snows around here.  Still too warm according to the snow maps but changes are still evolving.  The Sunday wave looks decent for the OK/AR crowd.

It wouldn't be a bold call to say that within the next 10 days, everyone in our area will see some snow or frozen precipitation.

Speaking of out to 10 days, that Pacific ridge has got some fight in it. Last night it looked like a big trough was going to build into the Gulf of Alaska which probably would have ended winter (unless it came back at the end of the month or in March). It tries to build this run, but fails as the ridge tries to come back. 

I agree I think most on here get accum snows over the first 10 days or so of Feb.  How much remains to be seen but we are entering another active period of winter.  The Tues system looks to have a little speed with it which limits our accums.  I keep waiting on that big wrapped up storm that gives us the classic snowstorm.  Maybe a bit later on.

I agree I think most on here get accum snows over the first 10 days or so of Feb.  How much remains to be seen but we are entering another active period of winter.  The Tues system looks to have a little speed with it which limits our accums.  I keep waiting on that big wrapped up storm that gives us the classic snowstorm.  Maybe a bit later on.

Not sure it's going to happen with the dominant northern stream. La Nina/Neutral years tend to have more positive tilt troughs. Perhaps we will get an El-Nino next year... That should make things exciting coming out of 2 La Nina's and a neutral year.

Archived