joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all, not trying to barge in on your disco but, my Mom lives in Joplin so I keep up with it for her sake. Any way the latest SREF Plumes look pretty good for Joplin. They were kind of wishy washy for last weeks SE storm up until about this time & then they did really well. Hope the storm over preforms for you guys & send some our way!

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20140203&RT=15&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=JLN&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=8&mLAT=36.582179837526056&mLON=-94.50618422851562&mTYP=roadmap

18z NAM and GFS both looked like a slight northward shift. Not expecting any significant accumulation in the south OKC metro, but the total 3-day snowfall map come tomorrow afternoon may look fairly uniform over much of this region.

Really? I only looked quickly and at Twisterdata (I usually need counties overlaid to make sense of the maps), but I thought the GFS shifted a bit south. I could easily be wrong, though. 

Yea noticed this also waterboy, they say very minor accums of everything because of the dry slot. Sounds like members on this forum think otherwise or am I confused again. Guess everyone has their choice of model though. It got alot warmer here today then forecasted, even with 5.5" inches of snow on the ground. ALot of that has compacted now from the warmth and that blazing fireball in the sky!

Really? I only looked quickly and at Twisterdata (I usually need counties overlaid to make sense of the maps), but I thought the GFS shifted a bit south. I could easily be wrong, though. 

It's not much regardless, but the QPF axis as a whole looks like a slight NW shift to me. It didn't really impact the numbers right around OKC/OUN, though.

18z: http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=02&model_dd=03&model_init_hh=18&fhour=24&parameter=PCPIN&level=12&unit=HR&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

12z: http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=02&model_dd=03&model_init_hh=12&fhour=30&parameter=PCPIN&level=12&unit=HR&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

FWIW, RAP is much stingier for C OK out to 15z. I'm leaning toward the low end of the guidance envelope based on this area's history when the dry slot is involved.

Does look like a potent storm, local weather(i dont remember what channel, go figure lol) said alot of the models are trending more wet and further south and he said he wouldn't be surprised to see some areas get much much more than anticipated right now. He was also saying it looks like more snow for NW arkansas crew here than originally thought.

PER COORDINATION WITH NEIGHBORING OFFICES AS WELL HAVING A LOOK AT THE LATEST GUIDANCE...HAVE MADE SOME NOTABLE CHANGES TO THE FORECAST. THE MAIN CHANGE IS TO BRING THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MUCH FURTHER SOUTH TO INCLUDE MOST OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS. MODELS CONTINUE TO INDICATE A STRONG WARM NOSE ALOFT AS PRECIPITATION MOVES INTO THE STATE TOMORROW MORNING. HOWEVER SURFACE WINDS DO NOT REALLY TURN SOUTHERLY TO ADVECT WARMER AIR INTO THE FORECAST AREA...AND A SIGNIFICANT SURFACE BASED COLD LAYER WILL BE IN PLACE. IN FACT...MODELS SHOW THAT AS THE SFC LOW CROSSES THE MISS RIVER LATE TOMORROW MORNING...WINDS BACK AND BECOME MORE NORTHERLY WITH TIME THUS REINFORCING THE COLD DOME AND PROLONGING WINTRY PRECIP ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA. IN THE NORTH...AS FAR AS PRECIP TYPES AND DURATION GOES...VERY LITTLE WAS CHANGED. THE ONLY CONSIDERATION THERE IS THAT A CONVERSION TO A WINTER STORM WARNING MAY EVENTUALLY BE REQUIRED. WILL AT LEAST HOLD OFF ON THAT DECISION UNTIL LATER THIS EVENING...BUT MAY PUNT THIS TO THE MIDNIGHT SHIFT AS THEY WILL HAVE THE 00Z GUIDANCE TO LOOK AT. FURTHER SOUTH...IT WAS WELL AGREED UPON THAT A WINTRY MIX WOULD OCCUR AS PRECIPITATION MOVED IN TUE MORNING. THE IMPACT WAS NOT EXPECTED TO BE MUCH TO WRITE HOME ABOUT. HOWEVER...NEW MODEL DATA INDICATES THAT IT WILL NOT BE AS QUICK TO TRANSITION TO RAIN AND MAY LAST CONSIDERABLY LONGER THAN PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT. ADDITIONALLY THIS WILL BE MOVING IN DURING THE LATTER HALF OF THE MORNING COMMUTE AND WILL LIKELY CAUSE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. AREAS FROM NEAR WALDRON UP TO RUSSELLVILLE AND OVER TO HEBER SPRINGS AND BATESVILLE MAY NOT SEE A TRANSITION TO RAIN AT ALL TOMORROW.ittle Rock:

Now the GFS has a donut hole where SGF is calling for the most snow in our area lol.

The HRRR has had a look just like what the NAM is showing with a second band moving into SW MO... so that's good. It also has a punch of drier air, or an area of no precip, but that passes just to your SE and it isn't very big. Why does it always have to be difficult in this area?

Archived