joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like today's "event" might actually be semi-decent for some in Southern OK and Central/Southern Ark.  By "semi-decent", I mean they might get an inch or two of fluffy, high-ratio snow, which is enough to make the scenery look pretty and given the recent cold could well be more than enough to make roads pretty awful, too.  Unfortunately, at least based on eyeballing radars, it does not look like the I-44 corridor will even get in on the whole "it's cool to look out the window see a few snowflakes flying" thing.   

Are the latest weeklies still showing a colder end of month?

Yep, yesterday's does but sometimes it changes patterns too quickly so you kind of have to build in a few days or a week before the actual change happens. I'm still worried that it won't happen and the storminess is going to want to stay locked into the GOA but both the CFS v2 and Euro weeklies say it doesn't. The 12z Euro operational had some decent storms in the Day 6-10 range but they look to impact northern KS, NE, S IA, and the northern 1/2 of Missouri while we may be just warm enough to see rain. 12z Euro ensembles are running now. 

What's the latest thoughts on Monday thru Wednesday? The NAM/GFS both still have it but not as impressive. And the 12z Canadian lost it today but had it last night.

12z Euro says Monday night will be the best shot at some light snow across your area. 

That's a pretty cool website/tool.  Thanks!  

The 00z runs of both the GFS/NAM seem to lose the snow they were showing before.  Not sure what that's about.  JoMo, (or anyone else) what do you think about this?  NWS Little Rock already bit hard by issuing a WSW.   Are they going to end up having to eat crow?  Seems like the models are all over the place with each run.  

That's a pretty cool website/tool.  Thanks!  

The 00z runs of both the GFS/NAM seem to lose the snow they were showing before.  Not sure what that's about.  JoMo, (or anyone else) what do you think about this?  NWS Little Rock already bit hard by issuing a WSW.   Are they going to end up having to eat crow?  Seems like the models are all over the place with each run.  

They might. 00z Euro has very little snow. 0.2" at Fayetteville. 0.8" up here. 

00z Euro says 50's-60's for highs next week though. Major GOA low with a torch into the US.

Do any of our Kansas and/or Missouri folks have reports on last night's minor snow event?  Just eyeballing radars, it looked like, for those in the path (in Southern Kansas and Southwest MO), it might have been good for a quick 1" to 3" of high-ratio powder.   

In Central Oklahoma, we had just a bit of freezing drizzle overnight and the occasional super-light snow flurry this morning.  I am cautiously optimistic that tonight we will get one last snowfall that will be sufficient to cover the grass.  It sure looks like tomorrow is going to be the last day of the winter of 2013/14 in these parts so I've got my fingers crossed that we get something. 

Do any of our Kansas and/or Missouri folks have reports on last night's minor snow event?  Just eyeballing radars, it looked like, for those in the path (in Southern Kansas and Southwest MO), it might have been good for a quick 1" to 3" of high-ratio powder.   

In Central Oklahoma, we had just a bit of freezing drizzle overnight and the occasional super-light snow flurry this morning.  I am cautiously optimistic that tonight we will get one last snowfall that will be sufficient to cover the grass.  It sure looks like tomorrow is going to be the last day of the winter of 2013/14 in these parts so I've got my fingers crossed that we get something. 

Generally 1-2" amounts with an isolated amount up to 3". I saw a 5" report in southern Kansas under one of the bands. Probably got around 1/2-1" here. It's possible the cold does return in March, but that time of year you need a storm tracking really far south to take advantage of it and I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Not a fan of spring severe season, so I'm already looking ahead to next winter. 

It's been a very active winter this year. Next year is looking like an El Nino from all available guidance. Assuming the warm NE Pacific pool stays put, that may make things really interesting.

Hey NJ_Ken...we had just over 4" here in Wichita...and .19" liquid equivalent...which is about 21:1 snow. Have roughly 7" on the ground here, though there has been some compaction due to sun angle and melting processes.

I think what I've learned this winter more than anything is that I'm a big fan of the -EPO. I don't even really know what that means but it seems to be our friend. Although we didn't get the monster storm this year at least the snow has stuck around for a while. I enjoy the ground being white for a few days vs snow melting the very next day when temps warm back up quickly. If we have a March storm that's likely how it will be based on my previous experience.

Hopefully March can bring us at least one more surprise. If not, I'm mildly satisfied. Beats the crap out of the last two winters for sure!!!

I think what I've learned this winter more than anything is that I'm a big fan of the -EPO. I don't even really know what that means but it seems to be our friend. Although we didn't get the monster storm this year at least the snow has stuck around for a while. I enjoy the ground being white for a few days vs snow melting the very next day when temps warm back up quickly. If we have a March storm that's likely how it will be based on my previous experience.

Hopefully March can bring us at least one more surprise. If not, I'm mildly satisfied. Beats the crap out of the last two winters for sure!!!

Ridging in the Pacific. It's a cold look for the central and eastern US because it buckles the jet stream. A positive EPO favors more of a zonal pattern which means cold air typically stays locked up in Canada. 

The Euro ensemble control from last night and today does bring a snowstorm across KS/MO on Feb 22nd or so but you never know that far out what will happen.

Just eyeballing radars again, but it sure looks like Tulsa is in the crosshairs tonight... well, at least to the extent that a 1 to 3-inch snowstorm can put anybody in the crosshairs.  Unless something starts popping soon, the Oklahoma City metro is looking like a coating at best. 

Just got the Euro Weeklies from last night. They have a western US trough with a ridge SW of Alaska. That is going to promote another cold air dump as we go into the last week of Feb into early-mid March. The control run shows a variable pattern though. 

I'll take a surprise 2-3 inches anyday!! But seriously, I went to bed and they said a few flurries or up to 1 inch, lol:)

I pointed out yesterday afternoon that, just by eyeballing the radar, it was apparent that the band of snow was heading straight for Tulsa and was almost certainly going to miss OKC altogether.... and that is exactly what happened.  I am not claiming to have any meteorological skill, but, when temps are not an issue and the precip can be readily tracked on radar, one doesn't need a PhD in climatology to figure out where the snow is going.  With all due respect, I think in the winter the TV mets in these  parts sometimes spend too much time staring at model output and not enough time checking conditions upstream.    

Archived