Newest Member
    CHSVol
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part V

Chicago Storm

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my, this is just a hot mess. :facepalm:

I just saw my forecast,and it calls for 5-9". Yet somehow I'm still under a winter weather advisory. :arrowhead:

Worse yet, the forecast on the NW side of Toledo (per NWS Cleveland) is 8-14" under a winter weather advisory. :lmao:

BTW, Ann Arbor is reporting snow right now...

http://forecast.weat...n&FcstType=text

I don't know where you are, but I know under some circumstances NWS, if the forecast is not a sure bet, will issue warning total snow without throwing a warning out until it is a sure deal.

Yeah it was a jokeSnowman.gif

HRRR/RUC is not the best guidance in the world. Has some uses though. SPC meso graphics are from RUC for instance. Interested to see if the new NCEP WRF-RUC variant will be better when it comes online.

ok, wasn't sure cause i often hear other pro mets refernce them as guidance in short term situations

Hey Andy,

Just NW of Random Lake, we started changing over @4:30. Now it's all mod snow (about 3/4 mile vis.) We've also dropped to 32.1, which is 2.5 degrees since 4pm.

Looks like we have between 1/2 and 3/4" accumulation on the deck. Not hearing/feeling much wind yet.

Sweet - yeah, we just started mixing about 15 min ago. Temp at 34.8F and starting to drop pretty quickly now. Here's to a nice dumping!

ok, wasn't sure cause i often hear other pro mets refernce them as guidance in short term situations

Yeah it is good to pick out short-term dynamic forcings, for instance. I like the SPC meso graphics for upper air jet circulations, frontogenesis, and other various dynamic forcings. Good to catch on to where there is potential for heavy snow, etc. and to line up radar trends with potential forcing mechanisms. Where it stinks is its actual QPF. It also has a weird high CAPE bias in the summer....sometimes comically ridiculous values.

Hey Andy,

Just NW of Random Lake, we started changing over @4:30. Now it's all mod snow (about 3/4 mile vis.) We've also dropped to 32.1, which is 2.5 degrees since 4pm.

Looks like we have between 1/2 and 3/4" accumulation on the deck. Not hearing/feeling much wind yet.

Also, looks like you may be in the sweet spot for accumulations - will be interested to see how you make out.

Archived