amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part V

Chicago Storm

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably snow grains and snow. Indicates that there's barely enough ice crystals to get the snow formation (Bergeron) process going. Snow grains are essentially a tiny ice crystal surrounded by rime.

I've seen some observers put GS instead of SG. Not really a big difference either way.

Yeah, like I told Chicago, some ASOS don't allow certain precip types. At KGFK SG is not allowed, nor is SH for any precip (very annoying).

Agree about Dec 8 and 9 from last year, but I thought the snowstorm in Feb 2007 was fruitful for everyone in SE Wisconsin. Then again, I happened to be at a retreat near Hartland at the time. Was that the one that had two phases: a smaller snowfall on a Friday night, and a larger blizzard for many that next Saturday night and Sunday morning?

Yep, phase 1 did ok here. Was all snow. Phase 2 was a mix of slop by the lake and even changed to rain for a time before changing back to an inch or two of slop the next day. Basically made all the previous snow from phase 1 into mush that froze into a brick.

Just got back from running all over the place :) Did some Christmas shopping with the kids. Something on the radio about advising people to stay off the roads... didn't really catch all of it :)

Its BAD out there! We were going around 28mph down I-90. The roads that were plowed were """good""" but slick and non plowed roads are barely doable in my Focus. Almost seems like it was coming down harder now then it has all day, but it could be the strong winds.

Just got back from running all over the place :) Did some Christmas shopping with the kids. Something on the radio about advising people to stay off the roads... didn't really catch all of it :)

Its BAD out there! We were going around 28mph down I-90. The roads that were plowed were """good""" but slick and non plowed roads are barely doable in my Focus. Almost seems like it was coming down harder now then it has all day, but it could be the strong winds.

No pics? Loved your highway pics from yrs past.

Holy crap, just read the actual warning text and LOT is saying occasional waves of 25-30 feet at the southern end of the lake

.A STRONG AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE EAST ACROSS CHICAGO TONIGHT AND TO THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES SUNDAY. IN THE WAKE OF THIS LOW...VERY STRONG WINDS WILL BLOW DOWN THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF LAKE MICHIGAN. STRONG NORTH WINDS AND LARGE WAVES WILL POUND THE LAKE MICHIGAN SHORELINE OF LAKE AND PORTER COUNTIES IN NORTHWEST INDIANA.

WAVES OF 15 TO 20 FEET...WITH OCCASIONAL WAVES OF 25 TO 30 FEET ARE EXPECTED.

Holy crap, just read the actual warning text and LOT is saying occasional waves of 25-30 feet at the southern end of the lake

.A STRONG AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE EAST ACROSS CHICAGO TONIGHT AND TO THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES SUNDAY. IN THE WAKE OF THIS LOW...VERY STRONG WINDS WILL BLOW DOWN THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF LAKE MICHIGAN. STRONG NORTH WINDS AND LARGE WAVES WILL POUND THE LAKE MICHIGAN SHORELINE OF LAKE AND PORTER COUNTIES IN NORTHWEST INDIANA.

WAVES OF 15 TO 20 FEET...WITH OCCASIONAL WAVES OF 25 TO 30 FEET ARE EXPECTED.

Holy crap! This is an almost ideal setup for very large waves on the southern shores, given the very strong winds aligned north/south over the lake.

It will hit and MKE now says the dry slot will bring a "temporary" break in the snow.

I just saw that, but the arrow doesn't indicate how far the dry slot will go until the curve southeast. We have a lengthy time before the dry slot hits compared to Madison, so they will have a longer period of no precip than we will. I'm still thinking relatively low snow amounts as well, but the dry slot is still uncertain at this point for MKE, imo.

I just saw that, but the arrow doesn't indicate how far the dry slot will go until the curve southeast. We have a lengthy time before the dry slot hits compared to Madison, so they will have a longer period of no precip than we will. I'm still thinking relatively low snow amounts as well, but the dry slot is still uncertain at this point for MKE, imo.

I think temps are the bigger question mark for Milwaukee.

Archived