• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
SE Mid-Long Range Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

I remember that March 1993 storm! Heard the word blizzard and white out associated with that storm!.. We were out of school for an entire week because of that snow! I can't remember exactly how much snow we got here but I know it was something around 12 inches, give or take a little bit.. I'd love to get another snow storm like that one! snowing3.gif

Ya that storm here in the mountains was the storm for a lifetime! Not only did we have feet of snow and drifts but there was record cold behind the system. I have never seen another storm like that here in the SE. Maybe this year with the pattern so amped. Just read an article a minute ago saying two weeks leading up to Christmas is goingt o be very stormy. With storms coming in every 3-4 days. It was an article from Accuweather.com. Don't no how credible info is but interesting non less.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be a miracle if this month doesnt end up being a top 5 warmest month in Charlotte and possibly many other locations.

The 850's aren't that high around here on any model, and with all the clouds and the tendency for northeast winds in this type of pattern, I'd say it would be a miracle if it does end up being anywhere near the top 5 warmest. We had a couple of warm days but the following days are usually very close to balancing it out. +1 to +3 is possible though.

Frank Strait is saying a pattern change is coming, but it's not in favor for the southeast snow wise. A ridge will be over the southeast and will possibly lock in.

http://www.accuweath...g-the-way/58872

Even if there is a pattern change to one minimzing the chance for wintry precip. in the SE, why is it such a big deal? Logic says it shouldn't be so tough to handle. There's no good reason for weenies to go into depression over this (then again they're weenies so I take that back lol) because the vast majority of Dec.-Mar precip. falls as nonwintry precip. At KATL, there are ~19" of total liquid equiv. rainfall Dec.-Mar. Looking back in history at winter precip. in Atlanta, I roughly estimate that 0.75" falls as S/IP/ZR. 0.75"/19" = ~4%. So, a pattern w/o wintry precip. in Atlanta is VERY normal! Wintry precip. is still pretty much a novelty and a special treat. Just enjoy life in the SE where there are always a fair number of comfy winter days (which I view as a blessing not a curse) and no need to deal with the frequent winter related problems found up north. Heating bills are much smaller and there's less bone chilling cold. I could never see myself moving up north. Visiting there is fine. Living there would get old real quickly for me.

Even if there is a pattern change to one minimzing the chance for wintry precip. in the SE, why is it such a big deal? Logic says it shouldn't be so tough to handle. There's no good reason for weenies to go into depression over this (then again they're weenies so I take that back lol) because the vast majority of Dec.-Mar qpf falls as nonwintry precip. At KATL, there are ~19" of total liquid equiv. rainfall Dec.-Mar. Looking back in history at winter precip. in Atlanta, I roughly estimate that 0.75" falls as S/IP/ZR. 0.75"/19" = ~4%. So, a pattern w/o wintry precip. in Atlanta is VERY normal! Wintry precip. is still pretty much a novelty and a special treat. Just enjoy life in the SE where there are always a fair number of comfy winter days (which I view as a blessing not a curse) and no need to deal with the frequent winter related problems found up north. Heating bills are much smaller and there's less bone chilling cold. I could never see myself moving up north. Visiting there is fine. Living there would get old real quickly for me.

Good post, Larry. I do like the anomalous winters like the last two we had but it hit me hard in the wallet with heating. I am also hoping that La Nina hits her peak this winter and relaxes before the summer months so we may get a break from weeks and weeks of 90's+ and maybe cut down on the deadly twisters in the spring. Now that I think about it, this post is full of wishful thinking too so I will put myself in timeout! LOL!

The 850's aren't that high around here on any model, and with all the clouds and the tendency for northeast winds in this type of pattern, I'd say it would be a miracle if it does end up being anywhere near the top 5 warmest. We had a couple of warm days but the following days are usually very close to balancing it out. +1 to +3 is possible though.

I dont think it's going to be the highs that get the monthly average high but the lows might. The euro is showing lows only dipping into the upper 50's late next week.

What are you smokin?? Miracle??? Not even in the running for a top 5 warmest. It would take a string of record highs and I don't see that happening. Care to show us your logic?

Raleigh is currently at 49.8 mean for the month with the record sitting just over 50...if the pattern does turn warm instead of just slightly warm as some indicators are pointing, then there is a very good chance at this happening...Interestingly, RDU's monthly average max record was set in 1984...but i guess you knew that, Jeremy...

What are you smokin?? Miracle??? Not even in the running for a top 5 warmest. It would take a string of record highs and I don't see that happening. Care to show us your logic?

As of thursday, the average temperature on the month was at the 3rd warmest since records have been kept in Charlotte. It has come down some but with the warmth coming at the end of the week, it could be right back up there quickly. If we torch at the end of the month, which is a very distinct possibility, it isnt a far stretch to see this could be the warmest December in many years.

Raleigh is currently at 49.8 mean for the month with the record sitting just over 50...if the pattern does turn warm instead of just slightly warm as some indicators are pointing, then there is a very good chance at this happening...Interestingly, RDU's monthly average max record was set in 1984...but i guess you knew that, Jeremy...

Yeah, it wont take much work at all to get on that top 5 list for Charlotte but the top 2 positions are certainly out of reach. I think 1889 was at 53.7 or 54. Crazy.

As of thursday, the average temperature on the month was at the 3rd warmest since records have been kept in Charlotte. It has come down some but with the warmth coming at the end of the week, it could be right back up there quickly. If we torch at the end of the month, which is a very distinct possibility, it isnt a far stretch to see this could be the warmest December in many years.

You said it would take a miracle to prevent it from being in the top 5 warmest. That's a pretty bold statement.

Even if there is a pattern change to one minimzing the chance for wintry precip. in the SE, why is it such a big deal? Logic says it shouldn't be so tough to handle. There's no good reason for weenies to go into depression over this (then again they're weenies so I take that back lol) because the vast majority of Dec.-Mar precip. falls as nonwintry precip. At KATL, there are ~19" of total liquid equiv. rainfall Dec.-Mar. Looking back in history at winter precip. in Atlanta, I roughly estimate that 0.75" falls as S/IP/ZR. 0.75"/19" = ~4%. So, a pattern w/o wintry precip. in Atlanta is VERY normal! Wintry precip. is still pretty much a novelty and a special treat. Just enjoy life in the SE where there are always a fair number of comfy winter days (which I view as a blessing not a curse) and no need to deal with the frequent winter related problems found up north. Heating bills are much smaller and there's less bone chilling cold. I could never see myself moving up north. Visiting there is fine. Living there would get old real quickly for me.

It's a big deal because the vast majority are primarily on here for winter storms regardless of whether there is a 4% or 1% chance of them occurring...doesn't mean that folks aren't getting out and enjoying the above normal temps when they occur. Some could care less what it does to a heating bill if a storm brings a foot of snow.

It's a big deal because the vast majority are primarily on here for winter storms regardless of whether there is a 4% or 1% chance of them occurring...doesn't mean that folks aren't getting out and enjoying the above normal temps when they occur. Some could care less what it does to a heating bill if a storm brings a foot of snow.

Yep. Preach it.

Don't take this as me jumping on you because I assure you that is not my intention.

However, that guy is a clown. I take him almost as seriously as I take analog96.

No he is correct in this instance.

Getting a -QBO,SSW,and convection around the dateline would help change the pattern.I only question if all three will be strong enough to actually do it.I also disagree with him in seeing results as close as 10 days.These things usually take 3 or 4 weeks to see any influence.

The SSW is really fascinating to observe and track if you're into that kind of stuff.

When I asked "why is it such a big deal?", I didn't mean "why are winter storms such a big deal?" They're a big deal to me, too. What I'm asking is why would it be such a big deal if much of the SE were really going into a pattern not favoring winter storms when that is more common in the winter than the contrary? Some (mainly weenies) act as if it is the end of the world and talk so negatively rather than just accepting something that happens quite frequently and looking at the positive side of it. Of course, some of them are likely just trolling/laughing behind the scenes and aren't really depressed about it.

My mention of heating bills isn't referring to the temporary surge in them when there is a winter storm. I was saying that at least our heating bills overall are not going to be nearly as high as up north...something that is good about our overall winters and that makes up for our pretty bad summers.

But Larry..it's the new paradigm....the new minimum... the new climo they'll be talking about in 130 years. Snow on the ground in June. Lanier frozen over. The only way you get that is building up a snow/ice pack during Jan, Feb. Mar. April. Snow every week, sleet every other. It has to start soon, or it'll have to be next winterr instead smile.png

When I see heavy rain returning to south Atl., then I'll start worrying about sleet and snow. If I only get a quarter inch of liquid, if won't matter how bitterly cold it is, I probably won't get a foot of snow, no matter how great the ratios, lol.

I worry you may have had to much ice cream on the beach, and might be getting soft, right when you might be on the leading edge...recording the new climo. The work that will stun researchers in 300 years.

We need to all blackmail Mother Nature by threatening to jump!! Tony

I generally agree with GaWX's points, however, an avg winter for a place like RDU is much different than ATL, and residents, at-least those into the white stuff know this and expect such. Disparity between a place like Boone and SAV in terms of annual sn fall is massive, yet both are in the SE. Folks in Boone likely tire of it, while coastal GA relishes even in a trace.

I think most of us are looking for a setup like the past couple winters where the nao and AO dominate, locking in the cold along the EC. It takes two to make a good winter storm, and sustained periods of cold are better than transient shots. Honestly, I don't see the cold happening this winter as in recent years. Memories are always fresh, that cannot be faulted, neither can a sustained period of screw, namely for areas that struggle with a seasonal avg (here), which some know is coming.

Sent from my iPhone

I was not trying to act like a "weenie". And if you want to go ahead and act like a kindergartner by name calling then go ahead. "but it's not in favor for the southeast snow wise. A ridge will be over the southeast and will possibly lock in." Those statements originally came from a degreed meteorologist. So I would not call it trolling. I would call it a observation or hypothesis.

Even though I was responding to your post, I wasn't calling you a weenie. You were merely relaying what this met had said with no commentary of your own...i.e., being a good messenger. I apologize for the misunderstanding. However, I do sometimes get so frustrated (like today) with the constant negativity of people who complain so often when most of the winter has no S/IP/ZR in any one location in the SE US outside of the high mountain areas. It isn't adressed to any one person in particular but to weeniedom in general with the nonstop complaining about something that is normal! Example: Brick is one everyone absolutely loves (me included, of course), because he is one of the best/worst well-known weenies of alltime in the SE. However, he never stops and it can sometimes get old. Then again, I suspect he is at least partially trolling and laughing behind the scenes. By the way, I likely won't hesitate voting for him next time if he decides to run for weenie of the year. I mean, how can one not love the charm of the guy??

Also, to clarify, I'm not calling the relaying of those met. statements trolling. I'm saying some bb weenies like Brick probably are complaining partially just to troll.

I generally agree with GaWX's points, however, an avg winter for a place like RDU is much different than ATL, and residents, at-least those into the white stuff know this and expect such. Disparity between a place like Boone and SAV in terms of annual sn fall is massive, yet both are in the SE. Folks in Boone likely tire of it, while coastal GA relishes even in a trace.

I think most of us are looking for a setup like the past couple winters where the nao and AO dominate, locking in the cold along the EC. It takes two to make a good winter storm, and sustained periods of cold are better than transient shots. Honestly, I don't see the cold happening this winter as in recent years. Memories are always fresh, that cannot be faulted, neither can a sustained period of screw, namely for areas that struggle with a seasonal avg (here), which some know is coming.

Sent from my iPhone

Good point about NC vs. GA. Yes, I have a GA (ATL/SAV) perspective and much of NC gets more wintry precip. most years. Also, I already admitted that the high mountain areas are an exception to the rather infrequent winter precip. locations in the SE. However, isn't it true even up at RDU that a strong majority of Dec.-Mar. precip. isn't wintry?

i see alot of talk about warmest top 5 on record.. however we are moving deeper into the cold season so my guess is that will relax some as we head into the last of december.. Not a promise but a good chance indeed!pimp.gif i saw the post that frank did last night i sure hope we dont see that

ps i love the see the people with warm biased and cold ones as well..

But Larry..it's the new paradigm....the new minimum... the new climo they'll be talking about in 130 years. Snow on the ground in June. Lanier frozen over. The only way you get that is building up a snow/ice pack during Jan, Feb. Mar. April. Snow every week, sleet every other. It has to start soon, or it'll have to be next winterr instead smile.png

When I see heavy rain returning to south Atl., then I'll start worrying about sleet and snow. If I only get a quarter inch of liquid, if won't matter how bitterly cold it is, I probably won't get a foot of snow, no matter how great the ratios, lol.

I worry you may have had to much ice cream on the beach, and might be getting soft, right when you might be on the leading edge...recording the new climo. The work that will stun researchers in 300 years.

We need to all blackmail Mother Nature by threatening to jump!! Tony

Tony, you're a hilarious mess lol. So, you think that the beach and its very inviting ice cream is poisoning my mind and turning me into a softie? Hmmm, maybe you have a point. Interesting hypothesis!

Sent from my iPhone

I don't know if I'd say winters in Atlanta and Raleigh are that different. Atlanta is higher in elevation and further inland which helps make temps almost as cold as Raleigh in an average winter. For some reason though, Raleigh gets a lot more snow despite the similarities in temps.

I don't know if I'd say winters in Atlanta and Raleigh are that different. Atlanta is higher in elevation and further inland which helps make temps almost as cold as Raleigh in an average winter. For some reason though, Raleigh gets a lot more snow despite the similarities in temps.

I'm guessing it is because RDU gets added moisture from the Atlantic to go with the moisture coming up from the GOM.

I'm guessing it is because RDU gets added moisture from the Atlantic to go with the moisture coming up from the GOM.

Hey, I'm just curious. Do you know when the last time Atlanta officially had a 6" inch or greater snowstorm ? It seems like forever. I mean I know Atlanta isn't a snowy city by any means, but you would think some random freakish snowstorm would give Atlanta a big snowstorm once in a blue moon.

Not sure wht atlanta got last year.. im about 20mins north and we has 8inches on the ground.. the only other great storm i remember was the 93 back when i was a young kid that snow seemed so deep back then

KATL got 4.4" of mainly snow, but which included ~0.5" of IP on top (for Tony), followed by a very slick glaze from ZR. What a big mess that closed down the city for the rest of the workweek...similar to what the 1982 snowjam did. Many areas from Buckhead to the Northside got 5-6", making this the biggest storm since the 3/1993 blizzard for many. This storm definitely goes down as one of the great ones.

i remember the few inches of snow and then all the freezing rain our driveway was solid ice for days. seems like we have had a handful of those since i was a kid which i hated(i always loved the snowball fights but no fun when its all ice),, one thing is for sure we have not had a good freezing rain event in some time, around my area when we do get one which i think is soon (but i thought that last year) power poles will come flying down. My dad and grand parents have told me many storys about all the ice and snow long ago. but for me (24yrold) the only ones that stick out really are last years and the 93 storm as being a great storm. i know we have had our share of ice years ago but i dont remember a epic one that put the power off for a week.. here's hoping santa.gif

Archived