• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29th Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

Thanks. I can imagine places with a lot of leaves getting ot pretty bad if they got a good accumulation of cement-type snow.

Simply amazing - it's just wanted to snow up there for the last 18-20 months.

New England is a weather paradise

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well it was not stellar but it at least stuck to the idea of an amped up system. i was definitely initially on the side that thought it was too amped though i also sort of expected a general nw shift into the end as almost always happens. euro mainly ended up bouncing around while other models went its direction. it's hard to believe 4-8" here unless every model shows it regardless of the month.... and then there are still caveats.

i just hope it warms up a bit again--way too early for this crap.

The euro is good but last year it led us astray on occasion so it's not prefect. I do wish we saw the euro ensemble members instead of the mean. That makes it harder to assess whether the Euro is a huge outlier or not.

yes...the Euro was excellent at that range....I think the CWG forecast was a good one from what I read....It is hard to commit on such an anomalous event, but it ended up being pretty textbook here for many November/Early December events and even some late season ones, so a climo/elevation forecast ended up being a good one given the model inconsistency.....I tried to caution those in the eastern parts of the warning areas to keep their expectations flexible and I think most did....I am happy with my backyard as well....got in a good band and recorded 0.25" with a nice covering on the cars, decks and grass....even Philly who scores in every event recently only got 0.3"....I am a bit more fearful of the winter outlook given the abundance of K/U events the last few years, but I don't think this storm means a whole lot for winter in terms of being a persistent storm track.....plus as you have mentioned, early season events don't usually mean great winters....

IAD has recorded snow 4 times in October....2 above normal winters followed 1 slightly below and 1 dud

And just for chits and giggles the last 4 times October has recorded more than 5" of rain at IAD 09, 05, 02 and 95...I'll take the average winter of all 4 of those winters :snowman::scooter:

IAD has recorded snow 4 times in October....2 above normal winters followed 1 slightly below and 1 dud

And just for chits and giggles the last 4 times October has recorded more than 5" of rain at IAD 09, 05, 02 and 95...I'll take the average winter of all 4 of those winters :snowman::scooter:

Did the 5" Octobers get us back to normal for annual precip? Seems dry of late and I'll pass on those winters.

1319995016[/url]' post='1084119']

Its 43 here, but with no wind and clear skies it feels warmer. Like a typical late October day with some leaves still green, and the rest falling. The snow cover, which has compacted down to a 2" solid covering, looks so out of place. Very cool storm.

Off to agood start. While you guys were getting snow it was sunny here. Cutting grass today.

It was an interesting drive back from State College, PA, today.

From State College to York, PA, there seemed to be 3-5".

Just south of York, it seemed to go to 6-8", lots of trees down.

Yet by the time you got to the MD border, it seemed to be 1-2", much of it melted already.

Just south of York you pass over an elevated area about 10 miles wide that runs SW to NE from central Carroll County MD up into PA south of York. THis is called Parrs Ridge in MD, not sure if it has a name in PA. Elevations run between 800 and 1100 in this area. I live at 1000 ft along that ridge just south of the PA border and measured 8" after compaction, 6" then 4" on my board so it makes sense what you observed. As you go south on 83, right before you hit the Mason Dixon line you start to get off that ridge. I observed the same thing in my area...6-8" common along Parrs ridge, but the minute I travel south on 30 more then a few miles snowfall went down dramatically. It also decreased when I drove north to Hanover PA, north of the ridge.

My inlaws are in Springfield, MA and they are in bad shape right now overall. They have no power and most of the trees in their yard that were weakened by Irene came down including a maple on the house. They can't get out of the house yet to take a look at the damage. The forecast low last night was 13 and they are worried about their pets, especially their parrot. Damage in and around Springfield and surrounding areas is pretty bad.

I recall Will in one of our threads saying with the Euro giving 4-8" 66 hrs out, it's usually a lock

well, that may be true for NE, but it ain't true around here sadly

in the end the GFS was first to kill the snow idea for us and it ended up being right (whether or not for the right reasons)

but, it's only OCT so how can anyone be too bummed

disappointed, sure, but not as devastating as say the 12/26 storm was

I still feel like a Cubs fan with a winning spring season at this point

I don't recall ever seeing the Euro giving your area 4-8" though maybe I am not remembering correctly. I do remember seeing it show 4-8" for interior N MD in the elevations. Did that verify in those spots? I haven't really had a good chance to check other areas until now with the power just coming back.

It might have had a run where it showed Baltimore and nearby suburbs getting 4-8". I'd have to go back and look...they have them archived back 10 days on WSI, so its checkable.

I don't recall ever seeing the Euro giving your area 4-8" though maybe I am not remembering correctly. I do remember seeing it show 4-8" for interior N MD in the elevations. Did that verify in those spots? I haven't really had a good chance to check other areas until now with the power just coming back.

It might have had a run where it showed Baltimore and nearby suburbs getting 4-8". I'd have to go back and look...they have them archived back 10 days on WSI, so its checkable.

yes, its was the Thursday runs

the snowfall totals were on the Wunderground Euro maps

yes, its was the Thursday runs

the snowfall totals were on the Wunderground Euro maps

Well those totals are really weeni-eish...I was wondering if I specifically said your area might get 4-8" on the Euro since you mentioned me...I might have, but I just don't remember it. I'll take a look at the WSI archives from thursday's runs. I recall saying the interior N MD hills would get that on the Euro.

Some of the Euro runs were pretty cold, so maybe it did show good snow all the way down to Baltimore.

Just south of York you pass over an elevated area about 10 miles wide that runs SW to NE from central Carroll County MD up into PA south of York. THis is called Parrs Ridge in MD, not sure if it has a name in PA. Elevations run between 800 and 1100 in this area. I live at 1000 ft along that ridge just south of the PA border and measured 8" after compaction, 6" then 4" on my board so it makes sense what you observed. As you go south on 83, right before you hit the Mason Dixon line you start to get off that ridge. I observed the same thing in my area...6-8" common along Parrs ridge, but the minute I travel south on 30 more then a few miles snowfall went down dramatically. It also decreased when I drove north to Hanover PA, north of the ridge.

I can vouch for this as I live in one of the higher hills in the area. The snowfall amounts that we receive are a good bit more than surrounding areas. In some events when temps are very marginal we cash in, such as this storm. Shrewsbury to just north of Stewartstown rest at 900 to 1100 feet, and in some events just driving south into Baltimore or Harford County for 10 minutes makes it look like another season. This is all too often common in many events. A few years back we got 4 inches of snow, York had nothing, and Hereford to our south had nothing but a wet snow shower and rain mix.

Archived