• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Wednesday Soaking

tmagan

I was going to state this in the 'October' thread, but thought it deserved its own thread. I am liking the signs for heavy rain late next week. Among the factors involved:

1) Good high latitude blocking near the Davis Strait.

2) Possible tropical moisture from the Caribbean.

3) Deep, negatively tilted trough at 500 mb in the eastern United States.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro showcasing big storm potential as well, huge deep trough going negative along the EC

MJO is favorable for an east coast storm as well i believe, phase 8.

12Z ECM has a substantial Miller B setup with a strong negative tilt with the newly formed LP going east of the Island. It would be a kick ass setup in winter time, although a FM.

Interesting stuff out there right now with this storm potential the euro is mighty cold despite being weaker then the canadain. GFS 18z run leaves allot of energy on the back side and has a more active southern jet the previous runs. MJO will be going through stage 7 into stage 8. most of our major Nor'easters have occurred during this to top it off we will have a negative NAO and + PNA. with the cold put out by the euro and the strong low that the canadain has. One would thing this generates it's own cold air. none the less I have liked this time frame for a few weeks now for a major storm. higher elevations of central pa and perhaps the Poconos could see there first flakes of the season. Even more interesting if the euro upper level temperatures were to verified places along I 95 would mix in with sleet as the low passes. Of course this is low confidence and everything has to be perfect but as for the mountains I really do think they will see flakes from this. just too weeks ago they had accumulation out in central pa from a much weaker system. Either way this will be a wet and windy system anyone from north Carolina to Maine need to watch this as it will ride right up the coast or I95 as a power system much like the blizzards we saw last winter just warmer.

I believe the record is 81 inches.......it will be hard to pass......

That record is very questionable. I checked the 1983 totals for six other nyc stations including my own and they were all in the 61- 67 in. range, no where close to 81 inches. If you check out the utah state climate site many daily totals are x out for cpk during that year.

The GFS has been de-amplified and farther east with this system the entire time. It's slowly trying to back to the west--the 12z NAM was far west over Central PA with extremely favorable dynamics over our area Wed 18z.

This may be a case where the primary does go west, but we have a warmfront extension with maybe a triple point forming and moving near NYC, before the whole occlusion comes through. Either way, could be a relatively quick but soaking for NYC and SNE.

This may be a case where the primary does go west, but we have a warmfront extension with maybe a triple point forming and moving near NYC, before the whole occlusion comes through. Either way, could be a relatively quick but soaking for NYC and SNE.

Is this a case where we get heavy rains from the warm front followed by a short break then a line of convection followed by rapid clearing and dropping temps?

I agree. Interestingly the NAM has the warm front pretty well defined, extending northeast from the low pressure system. The heaviest rain occurs right along that boundary which is visible in the bending isobars. You can see the main shortwave is still back over the Southeast US...and it's arrival would likely be accompanied by a mid level dry slot.

f75.gif

Archived