Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Wednesday Soaking

tmagan

From ohleary in the main forum thread i started:

"The NAM (like the other major models) has a warm start with data assimilation, which should pretty much wipe out any spin up issues. Spin up is mainly an issue with a model that has a cold start, i.e. initialized with another more coarse model run with no data assimilation. From the MetEd site (need a login to access the "How Mesoscale Models Work" module):

"The spin-up problem depends on whether the model had a “warm start” or “cold start.” In a warm start, the model uses a data assimilation system to incorporate data, such as surface observations and soundings, over a long time to help create the analysis. The data assimilation system merges observations with the model run in such a way as to preserve the ongoing circulation. This way, the resulting analysis will not exactly match surface observations, but will reflect an ongoing evolution of conditions just prior to the analysis."

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of a storm we had right around this time 2 years ago. Was supposed to rain all day Saturday and essentially we had some early rain and then just scattered showers on and off all day. At night however we got pummeled with heavy rain and storms but all in a fairly short period of time.

are you thinking more than 1-3? Do you see the storm as being disjoiinted?

12z NAM has a 2"-4" areawide rainfall while the 12z GFS keeps the heavy rain well east of the city. Only .50"-.75" for the city.

Euro has been on the wet camp for days, so GFS is most likely dead wrong.

This thing is moving pretty fast-my gut feeling says no one gets 3 or 4 inches....and I can see it missing east, not by as much as the GFS has it, but somewhere in between.

We know you will be the first to post bust when the amounts don't verify.

maybe!:arrowhead: I'm sure we'll all get a soaking but 3-4 inches from something that is rocketing north and east? Doubtful. Heaviest rains would be in a 6 hr stretch--a given location would have to average .75 an hr for that period to get those amounts...just don't see it happening for most spots in our area in this setup.

Also, The GFS should be a warning that the big rains may escape east.....

0.36 so far, probably end up with around .75

so much for the Nam totals...a inch will likely do it for the highest amts...no big deal

you two should try a new show, this one is getting old. It's still raining with embedded heavier bands. Also, let's see what happens later with the second part.

Archived