amirah5
October Banter/ Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

CENTRAL ESSEX COUNTY IN EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...LYNN...BEVERLY...

EXTREME NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK COUNTY IN EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...

EAST CENTRAL MIDDLESEX COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS...

* UNTIL 745 AM EDT

* AT 548 AM EDT...SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAIN

WERE MOVING NORTHWEST ACROSS THE WARNING AREA. RAINFALL RATES OF 1

TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT URBAN FLOODING.

FLASH FLOODING OF SMALL STREAMS AND URBAN AREAS IS OCCURRING OR

IMMINENT. THOSE NEAR STREAMS AND CREEKS...OR IN AREAS PRONE TO

FLOODING SHOULD MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND IMMEDIATELY. AVOID FLOODED

ROADS. THE WATER MAY BE TOO DEEP TO ALLOW VEHICLES TO CROSS SAFELY...

OR THE ROADWAY MAY BE UNDERMINED. TURN AROUND...DONT DROWN!

I'm still jealous of their renditions of Dec 2003 and Jan 2005, respectively.

Yeah i mean 38" is hard to beat...but this has still been a memorable couple of hours for me. Scott when you hinted at the convective nature of this system, kind of hard to imagine to this degree eh?

some pretty intense cg's in this stuff too....enough to raise the heartbeat a little lol

Yeah i mean 38" is hard to beat...but this has still been a memorable couple of hours for me. Scott when you hinted at the convective nature of this system, kind of hard to imagine to this degree eh?

some pretty intense cg's in this stuff too....enough to raise the heartbeat a little lol

Yeah I thought some thunder yesterday, but this is nuts. I can see the lightning too. The HRRR had hints of this band, but no model will nail something like this.

Yeah I thought some thunder yesterday, but this is nuts. I can see the lightning too. The HRRR had hints of this band, but no model will nail something like this.

I have gotten into the habit of ignoring low qpf when we have closed lows like this...seems like there's always some way of generating localized big amounts.

I have gotten into the habit of ignoring low qpf when we have closed lows like this...seems like there's always some way of generating localized big amounts.

I've seen a few of these before where you have a narrow, but real potent band of rain forced from convergence. This seems to happen in the warm season where you have these cstl lows. There were hints of this yesterday, but 5-6" of rain...tough to predict that.

I've seen a few of these before where you have a narrow, but real potent band of rain forced from convergence. This seems to happen in the warm season where you have these cstl lows. There were hints of this yesterday, but 5-6" of rain...tough to predict that.

Obviously convergence is most focused in that one band, but isn't the majority of this rain a result of convergence, or no....

Obviously convergence is most focused in that one band, but isn't the majority of this rain a result of convergence, or no

No there are regular processes involved like any other cstl, such as WAA and isentropic lift. However it is unstable aloft, so anything that can force the air to rise will cause conv precip.

Just spent the last half hour draining water away from my basement window. I have never seen rain that heavy last for so long. It was like a 2 mile wide convergence band. Radar estimates won't be right...had to be at least 2" in that half hour, if not less than half hour. Literally white out rains for 20 minutes. First time I was ever nervous for water rising into my place from street and yard.

Congrats

extreme rain right now...extreme...no joke

Those are quite the returns--avoid the puddles!!

Just a light rain and 48* here. I guess the departures from the cold shot will be more to the east of here, however, I guess the actual temps here in GC might well still be cooler than where the highest departures are. Looking forward to the forecasted 20's (which will bust for me) and a few cool days prior to the Indian Summer.

48/45

overcast

Looking at the 7 day OKX forecast sure is nice, sunny and 70 tomorrow, a couple days in the low to mid 60s and then low to mid 70s over the weekend and early next week, which will get bumped higher with time. Finally some nice weather coming, and it just so happens to be nice and toasty too!:thumbsup:

Archived