• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12Z Models Analysis - 12/8

GFS ensemble mean tracks the low from W NC/E TN to Chesapeake Bay to S of LI to E of BOS. It looks like it would be a pretty big snow for interior PA and NY State...big spread it looks like though based on the bagginess of the isobars.

I see that, it looks like 3 of the members, technically 1/4th of them, track the low well S of the others. They also just happen to be a good 8hr or so "slower" than the operational, and the other members. Why? I can only see a few hundred mile sector of the US, but those three members seem to really slow things down as the low exits eastern TN from there they head ENE to near ORF rather the NE like the OP. Not sure why, and I can't necessarily see if it it's due to better blocking based on the maps I have available. Those three would be big snowfalls even for DC. But....

The GFS isn't exactly our most skillful 96hr - 120hr model. It's second best. Still, though, it's usually pretty decent at this time range. Seeing our typically "pretty decent, but not best" model with so much scatter at 108hr isn't encouraging. Seeing a few members showing something that, frankly, I genuinely can't remember the last time it actually verified (this type of scenario) and especially can't remember outside the context of deeply entrenched arctic air...well, not encouraging either. The much more likely, and certainly seen a number of times, OP scenario just "makes more sense".

Ha, was just gonna ask you that.

The UKMET has been consistently east of the other models.

that it has...though the other models have shifted east in the last few runs also. The 00s run was a bit further northwest...but this run is slower and southeast due to a weaker shortwave and less interaction from the PV. Weaker shortwave and later phase with the PV=better chance of measurable snow for I-95.

that it has...though the other models have shifted east in the last few runs also. The 00s run was a bit further northwest...but this run is slower and southeast due to a weaker shortwave and less interaction from the PV. Weaker shortwave and later phase with the PV=better chance of measurable snow for I-95.

I assume this is the reasoning for my question above (regarding the three EGFS outliers).

I see that, it looks like 3 of the members, technically 1/4th of them, track the low well S of the others. They also just happen to be a good 8hr or so "slower" than the operational, and the other members. Why? I can only see a few hundred mile sector of the US, but those three members seem to really slow things down as the low exits eastern TN from there they head ENE to near ORF rather the NE like the OP. Not sure why, and I can't necessarily see if it it's due to better blocking based on the maps I have available. Those three would be big snowfalls even for DC. But....

The GFS isn't exactly our most skillful 96hr - 120hr model. It's second best. Still, though, it's usually pretty decent at this time range. Seeing our typically "pretty decent, but not best" model with so much scatter at 108hr isn't encouraging. Seeing a few members showing something that, frankly, I genuinely can't remember the last time it actually verified (this type of scenario) and especially can't remember outside the context of deeply entrenched arctic air...well, not encouraging either. The much more likely, and certainly seen a number of times, OP scenario just "makes more sense".

But, encouragingly, none of the members track the low west of the Apps. Only a couple take it on or just east of the Apps.

yes, but to my eyes, and their untrained, its east based. and look at the almost zonal flow across the us. That appears to be a warm view. All the real cold seems to be on the other side of the globe. Someone correct me if I,m wrong.

Warm? Surface temps in the 30s in Southern NC is not warm.

I agree but the ukmet solution does make one a little hesitant even though I think its solution is not one that I can remember offhand. I'm a little perplexed at the models drifting back apart when the seemed to be converging on a solution. However, usually if a model is wrong with an upper low when there is not that great of blocking, it is to have the upper low too far south.

Wouldn't go that far. Ukie is on the GFS side. Maybe the euro is wrong.

Interesting quote from Buffalo AFD. Still don't know if it would have that much of a "white effect" in cities, I still thought their position of EURO/GFS interesting ....."IT APPEARS VERY LIKELY THAT A STRONG SURFACE LOW WILL

DEVELOP AS A DEEP AND INCREASINGLY NEGATIVE TILTED UPPER TROF ENTERS

APPROACHES THE EAST COAST. THE PART THE MODELS ARE STRUGGLING WITH

IS IF/WHEN/WHERE A COASTAL LOW WILL DEVELOP. STILL FEEL THAT FROM A

CLIMATOLOGICAL STANDPOINT...A COASTAL DEVELOPMENT IS FAVORED GIVEN

THE FAVORABLE BAROCLINIC ZONE ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD. WHILE NOT

TOO MUCH IS READ IN THE SPECIFICS...THE OPERATIONAL GFS APPEARS MUCH

MORE PLAUSIBLE THAN THE EUROPEAN/GGEM...AND IS MUCH MORE IN LINE

WITH OUR GOING FORECAST.

Archived