• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Heavy rain 5 - 9 September OBS

NortheastPAWx

I know this is a newbie-type question, but why is the rain training over the same area all day? I'm sure glad its not over us, but I feel bad for central pa.

Squeeze play in the upper levels from the closed upper level low in the Ohio Valley and the ridge of high pressure in the Atlantic. Add into that tropical moisture getting thrown between those 2 features and you get the firehose of rain. The upper level features aren't budging much so its raining in the same location non-stop.

nam_namer_006_500_vort_ht.gif

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is a newbie-type question, but why is the rain training over the same area all day? I'm sure glad its not over us, but I feel bad for central pa.

high in Atlantic has built in and is forcing Katia around its western side. Katia is essentially "freezing" the pattern overhead thanks to the high. That's why the front responsible for the heavy rain has stalled literally overhead.

Squeeze play in the upper levels from the closed upper level low in the Ohio Valley and the ridge of high pressure in the Atlantic. Add into that tropical moisture getting thrown between those 2 features and you get the firehose of rain. The upper level features aren't budging much so its raining in the same location non-stop.

This too. :)

http://water.weather...,1,1,1,1,1,1%22

4th highest crest on record for the Susq @ Harrisburg.

Scary stuff.

Its going to be a long night for those folks. Reminds me of the night (Sept. 30th, 2010). when the remnants of Tropical Storm Nicole dumped 10+ inches around here. I was up every hour making sure water sloping down from my backyard wasn't rushing in through my back patio doors.

http://water.weather...,1,1,1,1,1,1%22

4th highest crest on record for the Susq @ Harrisburg.

I think folks along Schuylkill river in Berks, Montco and Phila will be also be surprised in the am.

Predicted levels approaching historical levels....and to boot, they may wake up to very little rain.

If the training continues in Berks, could levels go higher?

time sensitive:

herp1_hg.png

record:16.1, currently (10:15pm) 18.3, forecast 20.0 at noonish thursday

sister-in-law at hummelstown said kids held at school because of the flooding. pizza hut apparently collapsed. 2 bison at zooamerica had to be euthanized.

http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-hershey-zoo-america-bison,0,4944221.story

http://unews27.whtm.com/MediaItemView.aspx?id=1471183

New "firehose" setting up over Delaware, W NJ, Philly area.

It sure is coming down in buckets in Delco and woke up to multiple flashes of lightning and thunder.The way that stuff is lining up....it is not looking good for SE PA and SJ. Line stretches all the way down to NC. Not to mention it looks like the southern edge of the main line is starting to edge ever so slightly eastward in the last couple of frames.

New "firehose" setting up over Delaware, W NJ, Philly area.

Luckily it is not nearly as ferocious looking as whats been training over parts of PA much of the night. 0.45" here in past hour. Total up to 4.41".Though I should add it does have some very heavy showers with in it just not nearly the size of the PA "firehose".

Luckily it is not nearly as ferocious looking as whats been training over parts of PA much of the night. 0.45" here in past hour. Total up to 4.41".Though I should add it does have some very heavy showers with in it just not nearly the size of the PA "firehose".

I don't think it matters at this point. I get a 30 dbz shower over me, and it's an incredible monsoon. Granted it's not as bad as what PA is getting, but bad enough. Actually, this eastern line is actually getting stronger then the western one, just not as wide. It's almost all thunderstorms now. My paper route tonight goes right through where the FFW is in SJ, joy.

I don't think it matters at this point. I get a 30 dbz shower over me, and it's an incredible monsoon. Granted it's not as bad as what PA is getting, but bad enough. Actually, this eastern line is actually getting stronger then the western one, just not as wide. It's almost all thunderstorms now. My paper route tonight goes right through where the FFW is in SJ, joy.

Be careful out there roads are flooding out quickly. But also seems like the little breaks are allowing the waters to recede just as quickly.Up to 4 calls for water rescues doesn't sound like anything to serious yet.

Good point. Guess that is what I was trying to say myself. Now just have to see how it develops with regards to size, alignment and intensity. Not as bad as what PA has been experiencing at this point but still not good for those getting it either.

Be careful out there roads are flooding out quickly. But also seems like the little breaks are allowing the waters to recede just as quickly.Up to 4 calls for water rescues doesn't sound like anything to serious yet.

I think I should be all right, but if it gets bad enough I'm heading home, lol.

Archived