joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Heavy rain 5 - 9 September OBS

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.31" thus far as latest batch has now pulled off to the north.

Looks like NJ, especially western / NW NJ will be riding the line between excessive rainfal and just a good drenching between now and Thursday while central and much of eastern PA are in the qpf bullseye. At least that is what most model data and current sat and radar suggest. Of course when dealing with a stalling front and possibly even a retrograding one its always tricky to pinpoint those cut off areas exactly. Also the secondary effects of Katia passing well east off us but perhaps beiing in or near a western subsidence zone need to be considered. Obviously flood risk is extremely elevated per past months rains so going to be dicy for many.

I'll tell you what, these little blips on the radar in central MontCo. are overperforming. Pouring outside here. Huge raindrops. Sounds like hail.

Some of that has been rolling up into the Easton area as well. Usually while I've been standing outside the minivan buckling the kids in. :/

Cold front just came through. down to 61 and almost chilly. tropical humidity = gone.

Props to mount holly's overnight discussion last night. (once again) They seemed to hit it on the money with the main QPF lining up east of where indicated on last night's models. Great call and looks like it'll verify. Tonight's heaviest stuff should be in Eastern PA / Western Jersey.

pwats ftw

pwtr.gif?1315258800745

Just look where the 2.0"+ area is point. Up into eastern / NE PA and north western NJ. At least in the near term this and radar supports scattered heavy rains intermixed with lighter areas of rain. Still to be seen for sure how far east or west the heaviest axis sets-up beyond tonight / early tomorrow.

0.69" as of 7PM

Just look where the 2.0"+ area is point. Up into eastern / NE PA and north western NJ. At least in the near term this and radar supports scattered heavy rains intermixed with lighter areas of rain. Still to be seen for sure how far east or west the heaviest axis sets-up beyond tonight / early tomorrow.

0.69" as of 7PM

Unless ALL of the models are wrong, the axis of heaviest rain is through central PA after early tomorrow. PHLWX poster maybe has it right with the rt 220 axis line. I can see that as a good point for the heavy rain either side.

Can the models be wrong? Absolutely. But I tend to lean in that direction ATTM.

Unless ALL of the models are wrong, the axis of heaviest rain is through central PA after early tomorrow. PHLWX poster maybe has it right with the rt 220 axis line. I can see that as a good point for the heavy rain either side.

only thing that maybe can move it further east or west is the track of katia. The sooner that curves out to sea i believe the better chance that area shifts east and the other way around also.

only thing that maybe can move it further east or west is the track of katia. The sooner that curves out to sea i believe the better chance that area shifts east and the other way around also.

The high ridge in Central Atlantic would need to backbuild a bit to push Katia west. The high in Atlantic really drives everything at this point. Katia is following path of least resistance...and yeah, if it is nudged further west the heavy rain axis would be nudged a bit west (or east if track of Katia were east) as well. Just giving credit where credit is due.

I will not argue that point. Perhaps I meant to allude more to more minor adjustments of say west central vs central vs east central PA as the main axis along with either and expansion or reduction of total qpf extending east and west of that axis. A good drenching for most and for some a possibly very excessive event with moderate to serious flooding issues.

Archived