12bet1 net
Heavy rain 5 - 9 September OBS

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From KPHL

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

-- Changed Discussion --UPDATE TO TIGHTEN THE POPS GRADIENT FROM WEST TO EAST ACROSS OUR

CWA. MODELS ARE SUGGESTING THE SYNOPTIC SCALE FORCING WILL

CONTINUE TO WEAKEN AS THE DAY PROGRESSES, BUT THE TROPICAL

CONNECTION WITH THE BULLSEYE IN THE SUSQ VALLEY HAS NOT WAVERED.

QUITE A PLUME OF MOISTURE ON THE WATER VAPOR IMAGERY EAST OF THE

SPINNING MID LEVEL VORTEX AND ACROSS OUR AREA EARLY THIS MORNING,

AND ENERGY CONTINUES TO LIFT UP THE EAST SIDE OF THE VORTEX AS THE

UPPER JET MAKES SLOW PROGRESS FROM THE APPALACHIANS TOWARD THE

COAST. WE ALSO SEE THE FLOW FROM H8 TO THE SURFACE SUGGESTING

UPSLOPING OVER AREAS NEAR AND NORTHWEST OF THE FALL LINE. FINALLY,

THERE IS A WARM FRONT LIFTING SLOWLY TOWARD SAID FALL LINE. WITH ALL

THAT, WE BASICALLY MAINTAIN THE RATHER DIRE FORECAST AND THE FLOOD

WATCH. THE ONLY CHANCE POPS WE CARRY ARE OVER PARTS OF THE OCEAN AND

THE FAR SOUTHEASTERN ZONES TODAY. WE GO CATEGORICAL MOST EVERYPLACE

ELSE WITH A BUFFERING AREA OF LIKELY POPS. TEMPERATURES NORTH OF THE

WARM FRONT ARE ON THE COOLER SIDE OF GUIDANCE. TEMPERATURES SOUTH

ARE ON THE WARMER SIDE OF GUIDANCE. WINDS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO BE OF

CONCERN IN THE NEAR TERM.-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 AM FRIDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --BECAUSE THE MODELS ARE FORECASTING INSTABILITY ALOFT INTO THE

EVENING AND THERE HAS YET TO BE A SEVERING OF THE TROP CONNECTION,

WE EXTENDED THE FLOOD WATCH THROUGH THE EVENING.

THE UPPER JET IS FORECAST TO PASS TO THE EAST TONIGHT, AND WE HOPE

THAT, WITH THAT, WE WILL SEE LESS ENERGY MOVING INTO OUR AREA TO ACT

ON THE STILL RATHER PLENTIFUL MOISTURE. TEMPERATURES ARE MAINLY

CONTINUITY WITH A LITTLE NUDGE UP SOUTH AND DOWN NORTH.-- End Changed Discussion --

From KPHL

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

-- Changed Discussion --UPDATE TO TIGHTEN THE POPS GRADIENT FROM WEST TO EAST ACROSS OUR

CWA. MODELS ARE SUGGESTING THE SYNOPTIC SCALE FORCING WILL

CONTINUE TO WEAKEN AS THE DAY PROGRESSES, BUT THE TROPICAL

CONNECTION WITH THE BULLSEYE IN THE SUSQ VALLEY HAS NOT WAVERED.

QUITE A PLUME OF MOISTURE ON THE WATER VAPOR IMAGERY EAST OF THE

SPINNING MID LEVEL VORTEX AND ACROSS OUR AREA EARLY THIS MORNING,

AND ENERGY CONTINUES TO LIFT UP THE EAST SIDE OF THE VORTEX AS THE

UPPER JET MAKES SLOW PROGRESS FROM THE APPALACHIANS TOWARD THE

COAST. WE ALSO SEE THE FLOW FROM H8 TO THE SURFACE SUGGESTING

UPSLOPING OVER AREAS NEAR AND NORTHWEST OF THE FALL LINE. FINALLY,

THERE IS A WARM FRONT LIFTING SLOWLY TOWARD SAID FALL LINE. WITH ALL

THAT, WE BASICALLY MAINTAIN THE RATHER DIRE FORECAST AND THE FLOOD

WATCH. THE ONLY CHANCE POPS WE CARRY ARE OVER PARTS OF THE OCEAN AND

THE FAR SOUTHEASTERN ZONES TODAY. WE GO CATEGORICAL MOST EVERYPLACE

ELSE WITH A BUFFERING AREA OF LIKELY POPS. TEMPERATURES NORTH OF THE

WARM FRONT ARE ON THE COOLER SIDE OF GUIDANCE. TEMPERATURES SOUTH

ARE ON THE WARMER SIDE OF GUIDANCE. WINDS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO BE OF

CONCERN IN THE NEAR TERM.-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 AM FRIDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --BECAUSE THE MODELS ARE FORECASTING INSTABILITY ALOFT INTO THE

EVENING AND THERE HAS YET TO BE A SEVERING OF THE TROP CONNECTION,

WE EXTENDED THE FLOOD WATCH THROUGH THE EVENING.

THE UPPER JET IS FORECAST TO PASS TO THE EAST TONIGHT, AND WE HOPE

THAT, WITH THAT, WE WILL SEE LESS ENERGY MOVING INTO OUR AREA TO ACT

ON THE STILL RATHER PLENTIFUL MOISTURE. TEMPERATURES ARE MAINLY

CONTINUITY WITH A LITTLE NUDGE UP SOUTH AND DOWN NORTH.-- End Changed Discussion --

Sadly I read "Dire" as "Drier" I became a little relieved for that split second.

If you look at the IR loop on Katia, it is indeed moving due north

True. But 10 hours from now NHC has it more NNE. The longer it goes north the quicker precip cuts off in PHL. The HRRR has obviously way outperfromed the NAM and GFS but I'm hesitant to trust it's take on synoptic features over the globals. Lee will eventually die and the firehose will shut off, I just think it might be optimistic on the timing - if you saw my basement, you'd know I'm rooting for it to be correct! Shorter term, radars filling back in over Jersey.

I looked at the predictor radar on weather.com and looks to end things around 3:00pm in the Berks county area....Is that an accurate prediction or will the band be continuing. According to the predictor...things split to the east and the west and eventually fizzle.

I would argue it's good that there's no trigger. But like I said above, the trigger not being there may be because of how it handles upper air Lee and Katia, which might be wrong.

Your point is good, I am talking more along the lines of my filming, but enough is enough for those getting smashed so it good it's gonna break down.

Here is a list of road closings in NJ

Bergen

NJ 17 Southbound, North of US 46, (MM8.7) , Hasbrouck Heights, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

NJ 208 Northbound, Russell Av, (MM6.9) , Wyckoff, right lane closed - Downed tree

Burlington

NJ 73 Both Directions, CR 537/Main St, (MM29.7) , Maple Shade Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

Camden

US 130 Both Directions, CR 551, (MM25.6) , Brooklawn, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

Essex

I-280 Both Directions, East of Exit 10 - Northfield Ave/CR 508, (MM10.1) , Orange City Twp, left lane closed - Accident

Gloucester

NJ 44 Both Directions, CR 656/Paradise Rd, (MM7.0) , West Deptford Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

US 130 Both Directions, South of US 322, (MM11.0) , Logan Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

US 322 Westbound, East of CR 551/Kings Highway, (MM7.1) , Woolwich Twp, right lane closed - Emergency construction

Hudson

I-280 Both Directions, CR 508, (MM16.7) , Kearny, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

NJ 7 Northbound, North of CR 508, (MM1.4) , Kearny, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

US 1&9 Truck Route Both Directions, NJ 440, (MM2.3) , Jersey City, partial ramp blocked - Flooding

Hunterdon

NJ 179 Both Directions, South of NJ 29, (MM0.3) , Lambertville, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

NJ 29 Both Directions, North of Brookville Hollow Rd, (MM22.0) , Stockton, all lanes closed and detoured - Downed tree

NJ 29 Both Directions, South of Paulmier Rd, (MM24.0) , Delaware Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

US 22 Westbound, East of CR 523/Oldwick Rd, (MM25.7) , Readington Twp, all lanes closed - Flooding

Mercer

NJ 29 Southbound, CR 579/Sullivan Way, (MM6.2) , Trenton, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

NJ 29 Northbound, NJ 129, (MM1.3) , Hamilton Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

NJ 29 Both Directions, Warren St, (MM4.0) , Trenton, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

NJ 29 Both Directions, Bernard Dr, (MM9.5) , Ewing Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Road Collapse

NJ 29 Southbound, CR 653/Calhoun St, (MM4.3) , Trenton, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

NJ 29 Southbound, Lalor St, (MM2.6) , Trenton, ramp closed - Flooding

NJ 29 Southbound, Market St, (MM3.6) , Trenton, ramp closed - Flooding

Middlesex

US 1 Northbound, Ridge Rd, (MM14.6) , South Brunswick Twp, jughandle closed - Flooding

Monmouth

NJ 35 Both Directions, County Rd, (MM45.2) , Aberdeen Twp, right lane closed - Flooding

Morris

I-287 Southbound, North of Exit 30 - North Maple Ave, (MM30.7) , Harding Twp, right shoulder remains closed - Overturned Dump Truck

I-287 Southbound, North of Exit 30 - North Maple Ave, (MM31.2) , Harding Twp, left lane closed - Downed tree

NJ 23 Northbound, Alexander Av, (MM9.9) , Pequannock Twp, ramp closed - Flooding

NJ 23 Southbound, North of I-287, (MM13.3) , Riverdale, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

Passaic

NJ 20 Northbound, 33rd St, (MM2.6) , Paterson, right lane closed - Flooding

NJ 20 Northbound, Broadway, (MM1.9) , Paterson, right lane closed - Flooding

NJ 23 Northbound, Willowbrook Blvd, (MM4.7) , Wayne Twp, ramp closed - Flooding

Sussex

NJ 15 Both Directions, NJ 94, (MM16.9) , Lafayette Twp, all lanes closed - Flooding

NJ 23 Both Directions, South of Blair Rd, (MM36.1) , Hardyston Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

Warren

NJ 57 Both Directions, CR 643/Asbury Broadway Rd, (MM6.5) , Franklin Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

US 46 Both Directions, West of NJ 31, (MM9.7) , White Twp, all lanes closed and detoured - Flooding

Up to 7.85" here in Tamaqua for the event since midnight Sunday night/Monday morning.

I took a ride out west to try and get to the Susquehanna at Bloomsburg and couldn't get on I-80 west as it was closed. I ended up going up PA 93 to Berwick and got a couple of pics there that I will be posting later. There was talk of closing the Nescopeck/Berwick bridge so I got back across and gave up the notion of getting to Bloomsburg as I'd intended.

Can I ask 2 dumb questions? 1. If these are the remnants of Lee (a tropical storm), why all the thunder and lightning. I heard nothing during Irene. 2 If we have low pressure in place, what is preventing Katia from just coming onshore?

My understanding without having examined much is that although this is tropical moisture from Lee, it isn't still a tropical system. A lot of this rain is being caused by overrunning along the front, during which the lift associated with this process could probably create some convection and lightning/thunder.

I really don't know what to think, the NAM looks too dry, the HRRR looks too wet, the radar seems to be falling apart over PA but filling in a bit over NJ. Overall the QPF axis doesn't seem to be making much eastward progress, instead its just expanding a bit to the east. IR shows cooling cloud tops over the Delmarva but warming tops elswhere. The sun has been out in Ramsey for about the past two hours and I think most people here think the rain is done with.

Archived