• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Heavy rain 5 - 9 September OBS

NortheastPAWx

Well the Langhorne gauge is above the Fall Line, so naturally the Neshaminy gets much deeper south of US-1 and Neshaminy Falls.

That said, something looked screwy with AHPS and the USGS reporting ~10.5 feet, but the hydrograph showing a predicted crest at 17 ft. in a very short time from then. I haven't heard obs that support a 17 ft. crest, but I'm not witnessing this myself so I don't know.

Gauge is back at Langhorne, was 18.07' at 3:00, another huge crest, be either # 4 or #5 all time

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a communications problem with the Langhorne guage. We are using a backup method to get updates on the water level.

Not that it's my speciality, but watching WNEP and WBRE the officials on TV seem so confident that wilkes barre @ susquehanna won't go above 41 feet. Yet Meshoppen (just up river) has already gone over its predicted amount and continues to rise. Meanwhile Wilkes Barre is at 37.55 and still rising fast.

Seems almost like basic science that they'll get at-least a 42 foot crest.

Please excuse me if this question is in the incorrect thread... Are there any worries regarding Three Mile Island?

http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/ElectricPower/6454882

Exelon Nuclear's Three Mile Island-1, located along the Susquehanna River, 10 miles southeast of Harrisburg, began its abnormal operating procedure for river flooding early Wednesday, Sheehan said. The river peaked at 291 feet above sea level Wednesday and was at 288 feet above sea level early Thursday. It is expected to crest Thursday at about 297 feet above sea level, he said.

If the river reaches 300 feet above sea level, then the plant would have to declare an unusual event, the least significant of NRC's four emergency levels, Sheehan said. If the river reaches 302 feet above sea level, the plant would need to shut and an alert, the next highest level of emergency, would need to be declared.

"Important equipment" at Three Mile Island-1 is protected against flooding up to about 315 feet above sea level, Sheehan said.

storm total here looks to be 8.24 with the additional .08 since 11am

Wow, it is starting to really hit me about my Agnes comparisons over a week ago. Yes this storm is epic and catastrophic when evacuations have hit Harrisburg the governors mansion , Wilkes Barre and other townships and Boroughs. The ground water levels are so high that supersaturation has occurred in the Little Lehigh Creek Watershed where the level of the creek will not be down for days and Spring Creek Rd will be closed probably for another 3-5 days. My basement foundation- where there are small hairline cracks have water on the surface. My sump pump has not stopped for days. So many roads are closed, it is hard getting around. Downtown Easton is flooding, East Penn School District was closed for a second day because the buses cannot get around.

But the true realization of this being an epic event is when I read the posts and see the pictures from the Central PA/NY region. We all can all argue who was first to predict this epic storm event but frankly, I do not care, Its those who have suffered again from the severe flood damage or being evacuated. In my eyes Harrisburg is definitely taking it on the chin- first bankrupt and now this flooding. Will any business ever return? How about downtown Easton being flooded for third time in five years? The Delaware canal towpaths trail are probably destroyed for the final time. These are just some of the things that come to my mind when I carefully worded my posts as being a catastrophic storm event.

Many of the posters thought I was off my rocker, how dare he say catastrophic or what proof do I have for saying it. I firmly admit that I stated these predictions based on my historical weather patters and I normally do not make such bold statements. Believe me I would have loved to been wrong. But it happened and I do not feel good that it did.

Finally, I hope Maria or Nate do not make their way up here otherwise we maybe going though this whole thing again. I just wish I could just take all of this rain and give it to Texas.

Wow, it is starting to really hit me about my Agnes comparisons over a week ago. Yes this storm is epic and catastrophic when evacuations have hit Harrisburg the governors mansion , Wilkes Barre and other townships and Boroughs. The ground water levels are so high that supersaturation has occurred in the Little Lehigh Creek Watershed where the level of the creek will not be down for days and Spring Creek Rd will be closed probably for another 3-5 days. My basement foundation- where there are small hairline cracks have water on the surface. My sump pump has not stopped for days. So many roads are closed, it is hard getting around. Downtown Easton is flooding, East Penn School District was closed for a second day because the buses cannot get around.

But the true realization of this being an epic event is when I read the posts and see the pictures from the Central PA/NY region. We all can all argue who was first to predict this epic storm event but frankly, I do not care, Its those who have suffered again from the severe flood damage or being evacuated. In my eyes Harrisburg is definitely taking it on the chin- first bankrupt and now this flooding. Will any business ever return? How about downtown Easton being flooded for third time in five years? The Delaware canal towpaths trail are probably destroyed for the final time. These are just some of the things that come to my mind when I carefully worded my posts as being a catastrophic storm event.

Many of the posters thought I was off my rocker, how dare he say catastrophic or what proof do I have for saying it. I firmly admit that I stated these predictions based on my historical weather patters and I normally do not make such bold statements. Believe me I would have loved to been wrong. But it happened and I do not feel good that it did.

Finally, I hope Maria or Nate do not make their way up here otherwise we maybe going though this whole thing again. I just wish I could just take all of this rain and give it to Texas.

I know you are not going to like hearing it and I am not trying to troll you or be a jerk, but patting yourself on the back doesn't paint you in the best light. I am just giving you an honest reaction to reading your post. If others pointed out that you nailed the call, just say thanks and move on. The more calls you get right, the more credibility you'll have going forward and you won't need to wave it in everyone's face...Hope you take this for the constructive criticism it is and I hope your home and family are OK...

Some pics from the Tamaqua area. While the river stayed in it's banks through town, other streams in the area did not. Here at my house the total so far stands at 7.85" for the event. I shudder to think what things would have been like here had that firehose set up farther east and nailed this area with the amounts locations along the Susquehanna got.

I know you are not going to like hearing it and I am not trying to troll you or be a jerk, but patting yourself on the back doesn't paint you in the best light. I am just giving you an honest reaction to reading your post. If others pointed out that you nailed the call, just say thanks and move on. The more calls you get right, the more credibility you'll have going forward and you won't need to wave it in everyone's face...Hope you take this for the constructive criticism it is and I hope your home and family are OK...

Thanks for the review and of course I will take your advice

The pics from Knoebles amusement park are heartbreaking. Lots of devastation from the flooding. I was just there like a month ago and I remember the sign by the mini golf course which showed the water levels during previous floods they had; I bet this one rivaled Agnes's record. Some of the pics they posted on their facebook page:

304010_10150779506945551_207828210550_20617678_646146768_n.jpg

308249_10150779507245551_207828210550_20617680_2115906941_n.jpg

309374_10150779505300551_207828210550_20617668_637406518_n.jpg

314011_10150779505805551_207828210550_20617672_260516847_n.jpg

313389_10150779506225551_207828210550_20617674_240421026_n.jpg

293684_10150779506615551_207828210550_20617677_1369917898_n.jpg

The pics from Knoebles amusement park are heartbreaking. Lots of devastation from the flooding. I was just there like a month ago and I remember the sign by the mini golf course which showed the water levels during previous floods they had; I bet this one rivaled Agnes's record. Some of the pics they posted on their facebook page:

Holy cow!

jawdrop.gif

I don't know how common this knowledge is about river gauges, but what a gauge upstream reaches isn't necessarily reflective of what it will get to downstream. Differences in the river channel's width tend to mean that one gauge can reach 40 feet and be catastrophic, while another downstream can reach 25 feet and be just as catastrophic.

Link below gives water flow data for Conowingo Dam on Susquehanna in Md. Current flow is 726,000 cubic feet per second with a gage height of 31.68 ft and rising. Record during Agnes was 1,130,000 cfs with a gage height of 36.83. Its hard to visualize if you haven't been there but thats a tremendous amount of water. The river is over a half of a mile wide and must be flowing downstream at roughly 10 feet per second.

http://waterdata.usg...ite_no=01578310

Link below gives water flow data for Conowingo Dam on Susquehanna in Md. Current flow is 726,000 cubic feet per second with a gage height of 31.68 ft and rising. Record during Agnes was 1,130,000 cfs with a gage height of 36.83. Its hard to visualize if you haven't been there but thats a tremendous amount of water. The river is over a half of a mile wide and must be flowing downstream at roughly 10 feet per second.

http://waterdata.usg...ite_no=01578310

I can't even imagine what it like right now. I passed through there this past spring on the way to SC. It was an impressive sight, even without a raging river.

Archived