Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Heavy rain 5 - 9 September OBS

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-105-0-85773400-1315477769.png

Props to those who played up the Agnes card...it's probably the most overused card when it comes to floods in this part of the world but this time it's going to come close to verifying.

kinda like JB calling for a blizzard all the time. Eventually you'll be right. It's hard for me to give credit to anyone using the Agnes card when their comments came without ANY analysis whatsoever for the claim being made. No one saw the eventual evolution of this rainmaker until yesterday.

kinda like JB calling for a blizzard all the time. Eventually you'll be right. It's hard for me to give credit to anyone using the Agnes card when their comments came without ANY analysis whatsoever for the claim being made. No one saw the eventual evolution of this rainmaker until yesterday.

The nasty flooding card was pretty likely somewhere in the region but nobody knew who was going to get hit exactly. I was thinking it would be further west (out by Altoona and Johnstown) and not along 81...I kinda agree with what you are saying but blind squirrel theory sometimes wins. Even the JMA and NOGAPS get one right once in a while.

The nasty flooding card was pretty likely somewhere in the region but nobody knew who was going to get hit exactly. I was thinking it would be further west (out by Altoona and Johnstown) and not along 81...I kinda agree with what you are saying but blind squirrel theory sometimes wins. Even the JMA and NOGAPS get one right once in a while.

Now you're going too far!! :guitar:

speaking of which, I have to travel back south later today, and I've heard I78 is shut down between mile markers 6 and 10. I81 is obviously 6-10 miles away from there. I drove through that area around noon yesterday, and it was raining heavily then. Can't imagine what 18 hours more of that did. The central PA forum is heartbreaking for those poeple and animals.

Yup, exactly, you can only scream disaster so many times. One of these times, you're going to be right. I give major props to Tombo though, he sniffed this out 2 weeks ago, way before the Agnes cries.

Yup, exactly, you can only scream disaster so many times. One of these times, you're going to be right. I give major props to Tombo though, he sniffed this out 2 weeks ago, way before the Agnes cries.

yeah I remember Tom discussing this as Irene rains were still coming down. Props for that, and R'ville from the central PA forum has insightful posts as well.

I believe that a few of you posters are incorrect. I sniffed this out even before Tombo and I did not post my results because of your hideous comments over three weeks ago, You were reminded by parsley but you chose to ignore Parsleys post two weeks ago right after Irene. Well here are your reminders:

snapback.pngptb127, on 03 September 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

You really think that this will be as bad as Agnes? Or was it more sensationalizing the situation?

I say this because NWS in BGM, CTP, and PHL don't really talk about the type of catastrophic flooding you are talking about.

First of all, I do not think this storm is the day after tomorrow event. I believe this storm mimics Agnes for several reasons

1. The month of August and Irene have brought record amounts of rain to the watersheds that I have mentioned. This happened in May and June for Agnes. The ground continues to be saturated, plain and simple.

2. The current projected storm path of Lee will bring it right over central PA setting up the same type of storm flooding as with Agnes

3. Even though the Qpf indicates less than 7 inches, the soil is much more saturated than with Agnes and the rivers and streams are currently running high. With these conditions, the likelihood of a flood at 7 inches is just as strong at 15 inches as was evident in Agnes in the Pottsville area

4. Lastly, there is one hell of a lot more impervious surface now than was evident in the 1970's. This is a big difference that is not looked at by the hydrologists in our area. They look at the soil conditions and the height of the rivers and streams when determining flood warnings.

5. Storm water control has been lax in all the counties except Lehigh Northampton, Chester, Bucks and Montgomery in PA. The storm water laws and regulations were initiated because of Agnes. The same areas that were affected by Agnes are subjected again to disaster if the floods occur.

I am not crier of all doom, just warning the posters that weather history plays a big part in determining what will actually happen. I was around when Agnes hit and believe me it was not pretty. I have seen many disasters in this country and want to use my personal experience to enable those who read my posts to better predict the weather.

This map is more realistic. Again, can you say Agnes Redux? Parsley I was hoping to be wrong this time but this map is not good news for us. I hope PEMA is watching this storm carefully and I would be considering a state of emergency if I was the Governor early next week. Wilkes Barre and Harrisburg may experience severe damage from flooding along with the smaller boroughs along the Susquehanna. The poor Chesapeake Bay will get another shot of fresh water intrusion and the fishing industry will take another hit. For us, SOS as before. The Perky, Schuylkill, Neshaminy, Delaware, Passaic, and Raritan and all their tribs will be flooding again. Just plain nasty. Federal Disaster should be declared if this indeed comes to light

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

snapback.pngVoyager, on 03 September 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

Getting wetter. HPC's newest qpf map shows Central and Eastern PA getting 3-7 inches over the next 5 days.

attachicon.gifp120i12.jpg

This map is more realistic. Again, can you say Agnes Redux? Parsley I was hoping to be wrong this time but this map is not good news for us. I hope PEMA is watching this storm carefully and I would be considering a state of emergency if I was the Governor early next week. Wilkes Barre and Harrisburg may experience severe damage from flooding along with the smaller boroughs along the Susquehanna. The poor Chesapeake Bay will get another shot of fresh water intrusion and the fishing industry will take another hit. For us, SOS as before. The Perky, Schuylkill, Neshaminy, Delaware, Passaic, and Raritan and all their tribs will be flooding again. Just plain nasty. Federal Disaster should be declared if this indeed comes to light

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

snapback.pngmessenger, on 02 September 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

Ridge nosing west a bit more than the 0z but at the same time the remnants of the GOM TS is further along. Losing the weak ridging 87 to 90 hours on the GFS to the NNW of Katia.

I see the ts running up the apps then up to NE with Katia in tow. A long duration rainfall for someone- Susquehanna Valley? Can anyone say Agnes redux here?

snapback.pngParsley, on 28 August 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

Thanks. Looks like I'll be getting my exercise elsewhere for a little while. Good call on this mess way in advance! :thumbsup:

Grothar-Sent 17 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

I really dread whats coming in the end of August, first week of September. I am seeing tropical systems coming our way during this time period. Get your waders ready and camera ready for some flooding pictures.

Thanks. We are not done yet.

Does it really matter who sniffed it out first? a good # of folks made good calls of late regarding the potential for flooding. It's not like we're having a pissing contest on the internet but if you feel like peeing on your computer to make yourself sound good feel free. :scooter:

I try to avoid the petty BS that is sometimes posted on here, but geez some of you need to look past your dislike for others and give people some credit. While some people were crying "agnes" others were saying the exact opposite posting HPC maps saying all the flooding rain would stay out in central PA. That was incorrect.

0.32" overnight

6.09" since the weekened

Its getting really bad in Upper Darby now.

"delcome to 79-xx( our cop car designation)... See the conplaintant on Wiltshire road for the WIlD LOBSTER in the street "!!!!!

Hahahahahahaha

:lmao: :lmao: Now that's funny. Heard that call earlier when I was at work, sounded like it got a little dicey when UD-11 called for everybody to get out and get PAR. Gotta be a rude awakening when you go to get a knock on the fire in the basement and are met with 3-4 feet of water.

Yea. Basement fire. Basement had 5' of water with the oil from the burner caught on fire. Couldn't force the rear alley/basement inward swinging door cause of the pressure. So they cut a hole

In the 1st floor and attacked it that way.

Did not think that band would fire up like it did last night. Almost 4" here, 3.77".

Other than the SPC -WRF ( and maybe the hrrr), most models shat the bed for the immediate 1-95 corridor.

I try to avoid the petty BS that is sometimes posted on here, but geez some of you need to look past your dislike for others and give people some credit. While some people were crying "agnes" others were saying the exact opposite posting HPC maps saying all the flooding rain would stay out in central PA. That was incorrect.

I think it's pretty fair to say that there was potential for significant flooding but the models weren't certain...the HPC was right for potential of "how much" but was 75 miles too far west when they made the call a few days ago. Honestly, not a bad call from them that far out given modeling errors that far out and the inability of the computer models to pick up on QPF with a tropical moisture plume.

With that said, there's been some good analysis from a # of folks the last several days.

Archived