12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Heavy rain 5 - 9 September OBS

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they are heartbreaking. I was just there like a month ago. I have faith that they will recover though...they've been through bad floods in the past and have always bounced back.

Certainly the amusement business should have a good insurance rider for flooding. They probably pay heavy for that premium. That's the cost of doing business though. They sure do have an awesome park, when you're there, ya get a feeling of stepping back in time. Great Family fun!

I have faith that they will recover though...they've been through bad floods in the past and have always bounced back.

That area where knobels is at floods relatively easily. Not sure how close it got there in comparison to '72 but they got through that one and also floods in '04, '05, and '06 in tact.

There is a very interesting low level flow showing up on radar moving towards the southwest through Philadelphia. Kind of weird seeing that with the showers moving to the north from Baltimore!

Very odd. I was wondering why it was spritzing out when I woke up. Just a little more dampness to add to the muck.

Yeah they are heartbreaking. I was just there like a month ago. I have faith that they will recover though...they've been through bad floods in the past and have always bounced back.

They always do. Good people.

I would love to help...have someone looking into it.

I went on the Sky Slide, Hand Cars and Flyer as a kid. To see my kids do the same was special.....

I don't know how common this knowledge is about river gauges, but what a gauge upstream reaches isn't necessarily reflective of what it will get to downstream. Differences in the river channel's width tend to mean that one gauge can reach 40 feet and be catastrophic, while another downstream can reach 25 feet and be just as catastrophic.

But is it still fair/accurate to reference a flood by its gauge even if the gauge isn't nearby?

For instance, the Neshaminy gauge at Langhorne is at PA 213. A few miles downstream in Hulmeville there's a camp where a friend of mine worked, and we had a discussion about the creek. I said that it might hit 17 feet, he said it's always like 15 feet to begin with. So is a 17-foot flood at the gauge where flood stage is 9ft still a fair reference? In other words, if 17 feet is considered catastrophic at the Langhorne gauge, is it still considered catastrophic at Hulmeville regardless of the actual height of the water?

(I hope I made my question clear - but I'm pretty sure I didn't)

I don't know how common this knowledge is about river gauges, but what a gauge upstream reaches isn't necessarily reflective of what it will get to downstream. Differences in the river channel's width tend to mean that one gauge can reach 40 feet and be catastrophic, while another downstream can reach 25 feet and be just as catastrophic.

well, guess what.. WNEP & Citizen Voice just reported that the actual crest was over 42 feet.

http://citizensvoice.com/official-river-crested-at-record-42-4-feet-earlier-figure-wrong-1.1199785

WNEP currently seems to be in chaos mode as their reporting several breaches on TV ..

this initial pic seems to have started the chaos -

http://www.facebook....d=2394162177230

amazing how the major news outlets (CNN / Foxnews) only seem to care about catostrophic flooding if it occurs in a major city.

Anyone have an Idea of what tomorrow will be like for the area. Seems like where you do get a storm it will be heavy rain other wise fairly dry? Only asking cause there is a baby shower at my house tomorrow and my mom keeps asking me about the weather lol. Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's eventually a squabble between the NWS & 'others' over the actual height the river reached.

There are sides to support that it never reached 42.66. The top of the levee was suppose to protect up to 41 feet. Yet, even at it's highest level it was still a couple feet below that.

Some say the top of the levee protects up to 43 feet. Still, it was a couple feet below it.

Just seems like on the news their blaming the NWS for all this..that it took 12 hours to find out the actual height reached was 4 feet higher than everyone thought beforehand. .

Wouldn't be surprised if there's eventually a squabble between the NWS & 'others' over the actual height the river reached.

There are sides to support that it never reached 42.66. The top of the levee was suppose to protect up to 41 feet. Yet, even at it's highest level it was still a couple feet below that.

Some say the top of the levee protects up to 43 feet. Still, it was a couple feet below it.

Just seems like on the news their blaming the NWS for all this..that it took 12 hours to find out the actual height reached was 4 feet higher than everyone thought beforehand. .

The gauge failed on them on Thursday night based on what the gauge readings were indicating (no continuous readings after 11 PM)...can't blame them for that.

Archived