northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Irene is an 80mph storm then we will NOT have hurricane force winds extend out 90 miles like some here saying. Since when does a tropical system extend out it's most powerful winds which are usually found right around the center and only in the NE quad 90+ miles? Never.

If Irene is an 80mph storm then we will NOT have hurricane force winds extend out 90 miles like some here saying. Since when does a tropical system extend out it's most powerful winds which are usually found right around the center and only in the NE quad 90+ miles? Never.

When it reaches 40N it almost certainly will not have that sort of radius. You can get hurricane force winds on the west side of these as they get to LI or New England but those are mostly in the form of a few gusts. Its the east side where the hurricane force winds occur and I'm not sure if its ever quite 90 miles any longer by that time.

8am advisory still has 110 mphs...I'd guess 75-80 by the time it gets up here...

If it takes the GFS track than I think thats close to what it will be. If it takes the NAM track its got a shot at being 85-95 still because it would have been less hampered by the Mid-Atlantic coast. The Euro or UKIE track and I don't think it would be a hurricane by the time it reached LI, there would have been way too much land interference, but it would probably be a very strong TS.

Models have Irene strengthening today. With such a low pressure, winds have a chance of rapidly increasing.

Irene has been having trouble getting her self organized. I'm actually surprised that she didn't pop up to a high category 3 weak 4 yesterday when it looked like she was finally forming a closed off and clearing put eye.

Me too...i know it would be dangerous to assume strengthening is done but at the same time it seems to be having trouble

Irene has been having trouble getting her self organized. I'm actually surprised that she didn't pop up to a high category 3 weak 4 yesterday when it looked like she was finally forming a closed off and clearing put eye.

I'm not expecting sustained winds over 50 kts in the city. Probably 60 kts at the shore on Long Island. The big story you guys need to be concerned about is surge. I don't think I am hyping when I say this will be the worst surge event in the last century on LI east to Narragansett.

Some of these models that have Irene strengthening when she's off our coast are very perplexing. Storms have trouble maintaining their out to sea intensity when they come ashore on the Gulf or Carolina coasts. Why would a storm pick up strength off our coast? Do we have 90 degree bathwater south of Long Island and I didn't know?

I'm not expecting sustained winds over 50 kts in the city. Probably 60 kts at the shore on Long Island. The big story you guys need to be concerned about is surge. I don't think I am hyping when I say this will be the worst surge event in the last century on LI east to Narragansett.

ok...even 40ktt sustained winds brings down a ton of trees...i dont think people realize that...an hour of 40kt sustained even, a lot of trees coming down, esp w the muddy ground...plus gusts...best case scenario...massive tree loss.

Some of these models that have Irene strengthening when she's off our coast are very perplexing. Storms have trouble maintaining their out to sea intensity when they come ashore on the Gulf or Carolina coasts. Why would a storm pick up strength off our coast? Do we have 90 degree bathwater south of Long Island and I didn't know?

The trough/jetstream to the north comes into a collision course with Irene. It gives Irene a extra shot in the arm and doesn't let her to weaken when she's coming up 40N. Cantore was talking about this yesterday.

wasn't there some talk of enhancement by some sort of jet?

60mph sustained gusts 85-90 seems plausible for the city.

Some mets have explained it as interaction with an upper level piece.

The trough/jetstream to the north comes into a collision course with Irene. It gives Irene a extra shot in the arm and doesn't let her to weaken when she's coming up 40N. Cantore was talking about this yesterday.

Is this the first time this is happening? Think back and realize that we have never seen a hurricance pick up strength right before it makes landfall at almost 41N no less.

60mph sustained gusts 85-90 seems plausible for the city.

Agreed, thinking the city should see 60-70 sustained with gusts to 90.

Winds above ground could hit 110-120 or so (gusts) as you get several hundred feet in the air, though... we could be looking at tons and tons of windows blowing out in the areas with skyscrapers. The wind tunnel effect is going to create localized street gusts to cat 3 force as well (one of the best spots for observing this that I've seen is on 60th between Time Warner and the apartment complex next door--even when it's only 30-40mph winds there is a constant barrage of 60-70mph gusts right in one spot).

Archived