joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How this gets a thumbs down is beyond me.....the apparent weakening of the storm is a *very* good thing....

Depends on one's situation. I am working Midnights till Sunday and am single-handedly responsible for a 40,000 sq ft federal facility. That part of me is wishing for a hard right about an hour from now. If I was off and sitting at home I'd be disappointed to a certain extant. I have no trees near my house, I have a back up generator and enough food and water for a week+. It all deoends on personal situations.

I think you misunderstood her. Shes saying they were generous lowering it to 90mph because the flights have picked up some higher winds.

No, the discussion says this:

"HOWEVER...THE HIGHEST SURFACE WIND ESTIMATES FROM THE SFMR HAVE ONLY BEEN 70-75 KT. THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS REDUCED TO 80 KT...AND THIS COULD BE A LITTLE GENEROUS."

Guest Pamela

How this gets a thumbs down is beyond me.....the apparent weakening of the storm is a *very* good thing....

Depends on one's situation. I am working Midnights till Sunday and am single-handedly responsible for a 40,000 sq ft federal facility. That part of me is wishing for a hard right about an hour from now. If I was off and sitting at home I'd be disappointed to a certain extant. I have no trees near my house, I have a back up generator and enough food and water for a week+. It all deoends on personal situations.

I don't think anyone here roots for potential destruction of life and property...*especially* their own....but I do think that some get caught up in the excitement of witnessing nature at it's fiercest....while momentarily forgetting the potential consequences....

"HOWEVER...THE HIGHEST SURFACE WIND ESTIMATES FROM THE SFMR HAVE ONLY BEEN 70-75 KT. THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS REDUCED TO 80 KT...AND THIS COULD BE A LITTLE GENEROUS."

We're talking about what the meteorologist on CNN said. Not what the discussion reads. She worded it completely different.

I bought a box kite and does anyone understand the instructions i wanted to use it tomorrow man these things are complicated .All kidding aside history in the the NYC metro area unless theirs divine intervention oh yeah i can't wait to read about all the 20yr roof leaks that get claimed after this gig all our insurance goes up hah no one thought of that side of the storm.

Highest surface winds (on land anyway) that I could find were sustained 80 mph gusts 93 mph

What was that 93 mph gust Phil reported, SG? Maybe an overestimate?

Also, in that thread someone reported sustained 67 gust 76

Well the 67 mph wind gusting to 76 mph is confirmed from Cape Lookout.

The 93 mph gust is unconfirmed from Carteret County.

NWS trained spotter is reporting sustained wind of 80 mph, gusts to 93 mph at Stacy, NC.

Reported by Wunderground on twitter

It was confirmed by the NHC when the issued the 5am public advisory.

THE NOAA AUTOMATED STATION AT CAPE LOOKOUTRECENTLY REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 61 MPH...98 KM/H...AND A WINDGUST OF 78 MPH...126 KM/H. A STORM SPOTTER IN STACY NORTH CAROLINARECENTLY REPORTED A WIND GUST OF 93 MPH...150 KM/H.

It was confirmed by the NHC when the issued the 5am public advisory.

THE NOAA AUTOMATED STATION AT CAPE LOOKOUTRECENTLY REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 61 MPH...98 KM/H...AND A WINDGUST OF 78 MPH...126 KM/H. A STORM SPOTTER IN STACY NORTH CAROLINARECENTLY REPORTED A WIND GUST OF 93 MPH...150 KM/H.

Thanks! So those are the two highest gust reports from the storm so far?

I'm wondering if I can break my gust and min baro pressure site records..... my max gust recorded at my site is 56 mph and my min baro pressure is 968 mb 28.58" from April 16, 2007.

Actually starting to look pretty decent on IR and holding itself together. NHC still calling for a hurricane landfall in LI

I still feel very confident from queens east starting late this evening sustained 45-60 mph winds with gusts to 85+ through tommorow afternoon. This is besides the rain that could reach a foot in some places, its still a damaging storm that's gonna hit us. As touched on yesterday our decidous trees are already in very moist and unstable ground causing trees to uproot fairly easily in those higher gusts

Archived