joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the discussion of closing down the entire transit system, it was explained very well in the 6:30 pm press conference. Many of the rail yards for the MTA lie in low lying areas that would be prone to flooding in this situation. During major storms the MTA stores their trains/subways in the underground subway tunnels to protect them from getting flooded and or trapped in yards in areas that are flood prone or surrounded by lots of trees (like on metro north and LIRR lines outside of the city). This allows them to restore service as quickly as possible.

Coney Island train yard has a tidal creek near the south end of the yard and that ill flood over.THe DEC 1992 Noreaster had 4 feet of water on Surf Ave right by the nathans.

I live not far from there, I live in marine park I'm 15 min from rockaway and 5 blocks away from an inlet, coney island hospital is evacuating at 8am Tom

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the airports? I would think they stay open until conditions start to really deteriorate, maybe midnight sat night?

Trains in NYC a lot are outdoors to they can't operate in sustained winds of 39mph, my dad works for the mta in construction they have him on stand by, trees on tracks, floods, buses will be suspended I guess due to debris flying wires down, no power

What a LOT of people here seem to be missing is the fact that unike past storms which were tightly wrapped with a sharp cutoff in winds,this hurricane is Massive and will get bigger in size.Tropical storm force winds are going to be felt as far inland as East Central PA.The center could pass 100 miles East of Montauk pt and we would still get a substantial storm here with strong winds and rainfall.I dont remember seeing a East Coast hurricane of this size befor.

Bastardi says top three cane since 1800 using 1821 track which is a nuke for the tri- state area done shopping fired up generator and the supermarket was empty lol . P.S fill your bathtubs full add 1 glass of clorox just in case of extreme hit you can it for sanitary situations seen my share of canes see ya.

Archived