Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

through 36 hrs the 06z gfs is def a bit further west

Knabb has a good reputation as a tropical forecaster doesn't he? He just said he doesn't think there's been any trend east with the models, that they are just wobbling back and forth a bit and will continue to do so.

Maybe a slight tad, but it might just be slower more than anything.

Also, something to note, I'm pretty sure where the model places the "L" is not always the true center.

Well, it seems like the slower it is, the further west the landfall and the faster it is the further east the landfall.

Also, note what Knabb just said:

He just said he doesn't think there's been any trend east with the models, that they are just wobbling back and forth a bit and will continue to do so.

Maybe it's more like 15 miles south of Long Beach, lol. When I zoomed in again, it did look like it was about 10 miles or slightly more than that based on the scale of miles. (it's 20 in the image I posted, and 10 when you zoom in once more)

But it still makes landfall in Freeport at hour 60, Doug?

Maybe it's more like 15 miles south of Long Beach, lol. When I zoomed in again, it did look like it was about 10 miles or slightly more than that based on the scale of miles. (it's 20 in the image I posted, and 10 when you zoom in once more)

Judging by that map, you could just say Sandy Hook, Long Beach, and the eye of Irene form a right triangle :P

Bill Read was just talking on ch 5. He said that there is no way that NYC can escape this storm. The big story he said will be the very heavy rain with this storm. He said hurricane force winds will expand 90 miles from the center and tropical storm winds will expand 300 miles.

Bill Read was just talking on ch 5. He said that there is no way that NYC can escape this storm. The big story he said will be the very heavy rain with this storm. He said hurricane force winds will expand 90 miles from the center and tropical storm winds will expand 300 miles.

90 miles from the center..wow..up here?

90 miles from the center..wow..up here?

Yeah man, this is more like a severe noreaster-- think 1944, Donna, Ike...... in Donna, for example, LGA had 93 mph wind gusts and the center was in eastern Suffolk County. We're going to get December 1992 type effects across two high tide cycles.

Judging by that map, you could just say Sandy Hook, Long Beach, and the eye of Irene form a right triangle :P

Here is a hideous map that I drew. :P The black box represents where the center is at 60 hours, and I drew a crude black line approximating what would happen between frames. (This is how I arrived at a Freeport landfall) It's hard to draw lines on Paint!

post-73-0-19353700-1314355183.jpg

This a scary track and anybody just east of where the center/eye will have the worse conditions including the strongest damaging winds. I was wrong very little chance of NYC and LI escaping this storm unless it takes an expected track out to sea after hitting eastern NC.

There are 3 scenarios whereby this could still work out relatively good...the most likely and the one I still think may happen is the center comes in a good 50-60 miles east of most of the consensus right now. This would produce 50-60 mph wind gusts across alot of NYC and western LI but would likely minimize tree damage and power outages. The 2nd possibility is the storm weakens either due to NC land interaction or simply continues to slowly weaken from now until it reaches NC, gets there as maybe only a 100 mph storm and is a 65-75 mph system upon reaching LI. The least likely is this takes a harder right turn than anyone expects and misses.

Archived