• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowmageddon: Washington's Record-breaking Winter of 2009-10

Ian

This is D.C. centric but may be of interest elsewhere... sorry for the "ad", but it's a neat book and of course I want to share it. ;)

I've mentioned this a few times but we're finally done. We went with a print on demand company for now... it's possible we'll try to do a run of 1,000 or so to get the price down but that's a ways off if so. It did end up a little more expensive than hoped this way but we went with the cheapest/best option we could find.

120 color pages, covers all the snow last yr save the ones that dropped .1 (there were two of them)... shorter pieces on the smaller storms, with sizeable writeups on the 3 large events. Also has seasonal snow map shown here already, plus snowmaps for the large storms... and of course tons of pictures and stats. Top-10 section has NESIS-like snowmaps for the region in each event for comparo -- plus a section on how Snowmageddon ranked against 1899.

Here is a post on CWG about it from today:

http://voices.washin...-_the_book.html

Love it Ian and it's about time you got recognition for your camera skills. One question and it's kind of weird asking but does your promotion violate forum rules for promoting. I could care less but just watching your back.

ha, i guess it might... we'll see if the mods pull it. ;)

i can remove the links directly to purchase and it's just an article talking about snow... :P

Ian...is it available from places like Amazon?

not right now unfortunately. just blurb and then in pdf from kevin's web site. the process of getting it published would have meant missing out on having it avail as soon as possible.. or while there is still general interest in something like this. ;) we may try to talk to publishers soon but our initial feelers did not show too much interest. as noted it's also possible we would do a large run to be able to sell elsewhere at a lower price... the blurb prices are kinda high but we're not making a profit off it.

We're gonna be thinking and wishing a lot about last winter even as we southern Mid Atlantic'ers commiserate among the plentiful raindrops this winter and gnash our collective teeth as the Northerners frolic in deep snow measured in meters. It is already starting in McHenry MD as feet of fresh powder pile up today and tonight. They also get to relax in low teens high temperatures and enjoy lows in the single digits. Those northeasterners who were denied last winter are really gonna laugh and laugh HARD at poor little Jebman, stuck in semitropical north Virginia in the teeming rain all winter long. I dread that like no other. I've got it coming. It truly sucks huge goat balls to be me aaaarrgghh!

not right now unfortunately. just blurb and then in pdf from kevin's web site. the process of getting it published would have meant missing out on having it avail as soon as possible.. or while there is still general interest in something like this. ;) we may try to talk to publishers soon but our initial feelers did not show too much interest. as noted it's also possible we would do a large run to be able to sell elsewhere at a lower price... the blurb prices are kinda high but we're not making a profit off it.

Too bad, otherwise, I might have considered purchasing it at a cheaper price from the used book section. Just kidding.

ABC2 News just showed your book on their winter 2010 special!

Nice. :) Justin Berk let me know it would be in there somewhere. Supposedly on the web at some pt too. Will have to look for it -- and thx again Justin, if you read this!

Archived