EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Sunday/Monday AM storm threat

free_man

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprisingly the severe threat looks to extend through almost 6z on south coast. Little inversion, very low LCLs, and nicely curved hodographs and surface based instability. Very unusual around here and can only happen a month or two out of the year (with warm SSTs).

This is really intriguing to me as well. While nocturnal severe is rare around these parts we are in the time of year where that potential is more likely. However, the setup we have doesn't really scream nocturnal severe to me. Usually our nocturnal threats have an EML or were in a very hot and extremely humid wx pattern or we have very cold temps at 500mb...like -15C or colder.

:weenie:

Things look decent until you look at the vis sat loop lol

There is actually some buildups here. I just happened to look out, and some decent CU. There is a weak S/W moving through later on this morning and aftn.

I'm just noting those soundings. Would seem to favor things in the daytime for se PA up through NY state like every thinks anyways.

There is actually some buildups here. I just happened to look out, and some decent CU. There is a weak S/W moving through later on this morning and aftn.

I'm just noting those soundings. Would seem to favor things in the daytime for se PA up through NY state like every thinks anyways.

lol no I know... just giving you a hard time. I was sort of impressed looking at some of the lapse rates on the 12z and forecast soundings. The threat is really convoluted today. I's like to see some more sun.

Scott, 11:30 tee time, I need about 4hrs for our foursome to play the 18 holes. Still look ok or will we be killed?

I'm a little worried some storms make it in there before mid aftn. Could be some cells that try to make it into the Berks after 2pm, but not a solid line or anything.

Looks like all systems go for a decent outbreak in SNE today. Sun is out in most areas..and those storms out in NY State should die out..Looks like hours of destabilizing..dews up into the low 70's. I would think after 4:00 all hell should break loose in some spots.

It was pea soup fog from ORH down to TOL on 84 on the way home..and then the sun broke out about 10 mins ago as we pulled in

sfc winds mainly south across the region as well. You can see the stronger winds with the LLJ just back to our SW, right around 20-25 knots right now which is pretty decent, this is slowly working towards our region as well. sfc winds are about 5-10 mph right now and may increase a bit more too, especially as the LLJ max works in. Once that occurs we should see helicity values crank a bit...0-1 around 100-150 off to our SW now and 0-3 around 100 m2s2. Once the MLJ max moves into the area as well 0-3km helicity should ramp up too.

RUC hitting helicity values pretty hard later on this afternoon.

sfc winds mainly south across the region as well. You can see the stronger winds with the LLJ just back to our SW, right around 20-25 knots right now which is pretty decent, this is slowly working towards our region as well. sfc winds are about 5-10 mph right now and may increase a bit more too, especially as the LLJ max works in. Once that occurs we should see helicity values crank a bit...0-1 around 100-150 off to our SW now and 0-3 around 100 m2s2. Once the MLJ max moves into the area as well 0-3km helicity should ramp up too.

RUC hitting helicity values pretty hard later on this afternoon.

Paul--mby question. How are things shaping up for the NW corner of Mass? We've seen most activity in the SW corner so far this year.

New forecast has upped the ante on pop to 70% today/90% tonight.

Archived