Newest Member
    12bet1 net
TS Irene - potential impacts to the region

SACRUS

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS says buy candles

Hey downstate brethren! LI and the bight of NY really need to keep ears perked with this, 2-4 days of increasing onshore wind, along with the waves that certainly will be generated when Irene is very likely to be much stronger off the coast of the Carolina's would create probably some of the worst coastal beach erosion/flooding in quite some time. Not to mention the coupious rains. And if this maintains a decent TC core...ouch!

Hey downstate brethren! LI and the bight of NY really need to keep ears perked with this, 2-4 days of increasing onshore wind, along with the waves that certainly will be generated when Irene is very likely to be much stronger off the coast of the Carolina's would create probably some of the worst coastal beach erosion/flooding in quite some time. Not to mention the coupious rains. And if this maintains a decent TC core...ouch!

and the astro high tides with the new moon on monday...highest tides of the month.

I like the idea of a sharper recurve given the mid level ridge and active pattern over the northern half of the CONUS. The system is going to have to go inland over the Carolinas to get near our area. If that occurs it stands very little chance of being a hurricane when it reaches this latitude. Even so, the 18z trop guidance went east and also likes the sharper recurve idea after about 33 N.

storm1_18_ms1.png

I like the idea of a sharper recurve given the mid level ridge and active pattern over the northern half of the CONUS. The system is going to have to go inland over the Carolinas to get near our area. If that occurs it stands very little chance of being a hurricane when it reaches this latitude. Even so, the 18z trop guidance went east and also likes the sharper recurve idea after about 33 N.

The BAM models are pretty worthless.

so your discounting the 00z and 12z EC, and the 00z, 06z and 18z GFS runs?

No, I am saying that the synoptic set up favors a sharper recurve.

Also, we are 168 hours from the event. I really hope you aren't taken these solutions too seriously.

Nobody should take any solution verbatim this far out, but I would much rather have the GFS and ECMWF on my side than the NOGAPS and BAM models.

Those were just something to draw an idea upon. The main idea of my post didn't involve that graphic.

I still have some concern for coastal flooding, we don't need a direct hit to have a pretty high impact given the slowing down of the storm and the astro high tides. We could have multiple cycles of tidal piling.

Also, we are 168 hours from the event. I really hope you aren't taken these solutions too seriously.

I'm not taking any particular model or run verbatim, but its clear now that the trough interaction means everything, we miss it and checkmate

Any solution is on the table but what earthlight is saying is that he believes the trough will be a player and a sharper recurve is in store.

That's probably the most likely solution at this point.

Hurricane forecasting in this range, is unstable.

Wednesday night into Thursday is when we can start taking this seriously.

I had said something similar earlier today. The setup looks like one where the system either goes into NC/SC or recurves pretty hard and maybe hits far eastern LI but that might even be too far west.

I still have some concern for coastal flooding, we don't need a direct hit to have a pretty high impact given the slowing down of the storm and the astro high tides. We could have multiple cycles of tidal piling.

Weird. You told us yesterday to expect hispanola to kill this, as "all indications" pointed to the destruction of the storm.

Any solution is on the table but what earthlight is saying is that he believes the trough will be a player and a sharper recurve is in store.

That's probably the most likely solution at this point.

Hurricane forecasting in this range, is unstable.

Wednesday night into Thursday is when we can start taking this seriously.

I don't know why a stronger trough is more likely though, after a trend that direction earlier the GFS has trended towards the EC.

I had said something similar earlier today. The setup looks like one where the system either goes into NC/SC or recurves pretty hard and maybe hits far eastern LI but that might even be too far west.

Agree. It's also as much of a steering/mid level ridge issue as it is a active troughing pattern over the northern 1/3 of the conus.

Agree. It's also as much of a steering/mid level ridge issue as it is a active troughing pattern over the northern 1/3 of the conus.

I'm a little mad at the models today for teasing us and requiring us to learn meterology and make some pattern favored adjustments, luckily it's still 6 days out and it will probably come to it's senses within 100hrs.

Archived