• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nzucker leaving the NYC area

Alpha5

I just want to make it clear that I AM BACK. I will be in NYC metro for Winter 12-13, getting excited as I look back at all our good conversations during the epic Winter 10-11 stretch. I accepted a teaching fellowship with NYC public schools and will probably be moving to Brooklyn as I'm working in Cypress Hills. I will be doing my Masters at City College in Manhattan. Does anyone have any recommendations for finding apartments in Brooklyn and what areas to choose? I am living in Dobbs Ferry in the meantime...back at Mt. Zucker!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to make it clear that I AM BACK. I will be in NYC metro for Winter 12-13, getting excited as I look back at all our good conversations during the epic Winter 10-11 stretch. I accepted a teaching fellowship with NYC public schools and will probably be moving to Brooklyn as I'm working in Cypress Hills. I will be doing my Masters at City College in Manhattan. Does anyone have any recommendations for finding apartments in Brooklyn and what areas to choose? I am living in Dobbs Ferry in the meantime...back at Mt. Zucker!

Are you excited as you read what you missed in 2011-2?

Are you excited as you read what you missed in 2011-2?

We had a pretty dismal winter up north too. I was almost crying though as I read through all of our wonderful discussions and our enthusiasm for Winter 10-11...those were some special moments played out late night on the boards, and seeing my hometown transformed by such an epic pattern! Can't wait to do it again as we walk into the winter looking at a weak Niño.

My mother was making 120k after 35 years of teaching in Commack, Suffolk County ny...teaching home and careers...she died in the classroom, but thats still a crap ton of money

NY State has some of the best salaries and benefits for teachers. You don't really want to do it for the money though...You won't make that much in comparison to other careers and you put up with a lot of tough times with kids, gotta love em. I'm in special education so I have to be particularly patient and understanding even when lessons don't exactly go my way. I am excited for my teaching fellowship though, lots of hard work to do a Masters and teach full time, but the program seems great so far. Living in Brooklyn promises to be fun for a 24-year-old as well.

We had a pretty dismal winter up north too. I was almost crying though as I read through all of our wonderful discussions and our enthusiasm for Winter 10-11...those were some special moments played out late night on the boards, and seeing my hometown transformed by such an epic pattern! Can't wait to do it again as we walk into the winter looking at a weak Niño.

NY State has some of the best salaries and benefits for teachers. You don't really want to do it for the money though...You won't make that much in comparison to other careers and you put up with a lot of tough times with kids, gotta love em. I'm in special education so I have to be particularly patient and understanding even when lessons don't exactly go my way. I am excited for my teaching fellowship though, lots of hard work to do a Masters and teach full time, but the program seems great so far. Living in Brooklyn promises to be fun for a 24-year-old as well.

Sounds like you have a good plan going forward. You seem to love it so that's a major plus. Good luck.

Special education certainly requires that extra level of patience. This summer I taught at two 2 week religious education programs, and had a child with special needs in both classes. One was unable to do much reading, writing, or speaking. It was difficult keeping him on task while teaching the rest of the students. Some days he ended up just doing arts and crafts while everyone else was taking a test. The other class I had a student who probably had ADHD, aspergers, and some sort of anxiety disorder. He would often disrupt class with his panic attacks. It was an eye-opening summer and I have a newfound appreciation for special education teachers. I'm still unsure whether I'll go into it or regular education for a masters. I have less than a year to decide; I may just try to find a teaching job first next fall.

Will your masters be in special education? I think I remember you saying your undergraduate major was Spanish, right? Either way I think education is pretty rewarding career choice, albeit a difficult one (moreso than many people think).

Welcome back

Sounds like you have a good plan going forward. You seem to love it so that's a major plus. Good luck.

Special education certainly requires that extra level of patience. This summer I taught at two 2 week religious education programs, and had a child with special needs in both classes. One was unable to do much reading, writing, or speaking. It was difficult keeping him on task while teaching the rest of the students. Some days he ended up just doing arts and crafts while everyone else was taking a test. The other class I had a student who probably had ADHD, aspergers, and some sort of anxiety disorder. He would often disrupt class with his panic attacks. It was an eye-opening summer and I have a newfound appreciation for special education teachers. I'm still unsure whether I'll go into it or regular education for a masters. I have less than a year to decide; I may just try to find a teaching job first next fall.

Will your masters be in special education? I think I remember you saying your undergraduate major was Spanish, right? Either way I think education is pretty rewarding career choice, albeit a difficult one (moreso than many people think).

Yeah, it is a tough job. I'll be doing my Masters in Special Ed with a bilingual extension, which is a lot of credits but I suppose I'm up for it. I just hope I don't need to stay up as late this winter as I did during Winter 10-11 looking back...though of course I do want another winter with 3 MECS/HECS. That year was when I started in education as a substitute in Westchester, school was closed so many times during that deep winter as we battled snow storms and ice storms with the County threatening to run out of salt for the roads. What a sequence of storms we had with 12/26, 1/12, and 1/27, then the ice storm on 2/3...that was the high point of this board for me.

I'm pumped to be back. It's already mid-August so fall is not so far away. We should be looking at an interesting picture with a weak Niño after a -NAO summer. I'm definitely thinking the metro area sees much more wintry conditions than during Winter 11-12, which sucked even where I lived in New Hampshire outside of the "Rocktober" storm or whatever you desire to call it. Early signals are definitely pointing towards a blocking type winter but it's early to say.

In all due respect to Nate, I thought there were a series of posts in May or June acknowledging and welcoming him back.

I was initially confused by his recent bumping of last year's thread and thought we already knew most of this.

I'll be spending the winter in southern california

Not as boring as some are saying. Go to Palm Springs and take the Cable Car ride whenever you are starved for snow, you'll get plenty of it on top of San Jacinto Mountain at Mountain Station. I was there in February of this year. The night before we went to the top a storm left 2 feet of fresh powder. They let you ski and of course take jebwalks as much as you like. Even the Southern California desert has snow! :snowing::snowman::thumbsup:

I couldn't imagine living in SoCal. Yuck!

I also bumped this thread to ask for more advice about places to live in Brooklyn. Does anyone have more suggestions for me? I'm looking for a one-bedroom that isn't ridiculously expensive, considering several places in Cypress Hills by the park but also willing to look in other areas like Crown Heights, Fort Greene, etc. I need to move by Halloween at the latest.

I also bumped this thread to ask for more advice about places to live in Brooklyn. Does anyone have more suggestions for me? I need to move by Halloween at the latest.

Anything decent in Brooklyn costs too much money. I'd suggest Queens by the BQE or the cemetaries if you want to stay close.

I also bumped this thread to ask for more advice about places to live in Brooklyn. Does anyone have more suggestions for me? I need to move by Halloween at the latest.

Live in Astoria. It is much cheaper...the cheap areas in BK are not safe, and the other areas, bk heights, williamsburg, etc are just as expensive as manhattan.

I would find yourself a girl, get her to move in and split the rent, much things much easier...

Live in Astoria. It is much cheaper...the cheap areas in BK are not safe, and the other areas, bk heights, williamsburg, etc are just as expensive as manhattan.

I would find yourself a girl, get her to move in and split the rent, much things much easier...

Do you know how much 1-bedroom small apartments in Astoria generally go for?

I saw a place just north of Cypress Hills on the border of Forest Park that was 950/mo for a one-bedroom, which seems reasonable. The New York Times had several articles about Cypress Hills saying that it is an up-and-coming area with interesting ethnic shops and a close-knit community. I'm going to be teaching in Cypress Hills at PS 89, which is on the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Warwick. Does anyone know if an apartment near Forest Park and the Jackie Robinson Parkway would be a good bet, and is this a good deal? I am going down there to take a look August 29-30 when I have professional development for school.

I am going to live in Dobbs Ferry with my parents in the meantime until I find a place, and ideally save up a little extra money. I just moved back to the area June 10th from a campus apartment in New Hampshire when I was teaching at a boarding school, and I've been doing training and Masters coursework all summer, so I haven't had the chance to look around too much. The commute from Dobbs Ferry to work is about 40 minutes, and I only want to do this for 6-8 weeks as I want to live closer to work and have my own place like I did last year and like I did when I lived in Montana during Summer 2010.

Astoria is not that cheap. $1,300 to $1,800 for a 1BR apartment, depending on age of building.

But it's a great place to live. Great nightlife, fantastic restaurants, low crime, and easy access to NYC and Brooklyn.

Much cheaper than any decent area in BK...Long island apts are usually in the same range actually, so Astoria is very well priced and definitely where i would move, the only problem is the miserable parking, but that is anywhere in BK/Queens.

950 a month is fine, but I would move to astoria...the only thing to consider is the subways from astoria to BK, might want to check out if it makes sense.

Much cheaper than any decent area in BK...Long island apts are usually in the same range actually, so Astoria is very well priced and definitely where i would move, the only problem is the miserable parking, but that is anywhere in BK/Queens.

950 a month is fine, but I would move to astoria...the only thing to consider is the subways from astoria to BK, might want to check out if it makes sense.

Parking is abundant in my part of Queens and you can find a two bedroom for 1500. Though it's not as close as he wants to be to his job.

Astoria is not that cheap. $1,300 to $1,800 for a 1BR apartment, depending on age of building.

But it's a great place to live. Great nightlife, fantastic restaurants, low crime, and easy access to NYC and Brooklyn.

$1300 - $1800/month for a 1 BR is pretty cheap by NYC standards... of course for the rest of the country, they would get a palace for that price...

Archived