• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nzucker leaving the NYC area

Alpha5

We're actually in agreement. If earthlight is in San Diego, how often can you see him driving hours to see snow? That's the thing. Snow is pretty dependable in the Catskills more often than not but none of us drive there just to see snow, even when we have crappy stretches. In that party of California it simply does not able outside of the mountains, so every time that he'll want to see snow he will have to drive hours to see it.

I don't know, to me driving 2 hours to enjoy snow while living in a climate that will never allow for it consistently or even at all IMBY is no big deal. I'd not live in Southern Califronia for many reasons, lack of snow IMBY is not one of those reasons. A snow lover like myself would have no issues driving the 2 hours quite regularly.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, the cable car ride is not even 10 minutes and then you have all day to partake in winter activities. The location of the ride is right in the heart of Palm Springs. Obviously you'd have to check the weather report but that is no different than any place else. It doesn't melt much in the winter either due to a drastic temperature difference on the mountain (40 degrees colder which keeps the mountain in the low-mid 30's on average for the most part from December through February).

i think the difference is more like 30 degrees - about a 6000 foot rise in elevation from base level (which roughly coincides with the moist adiabatic rate). I'll concede that the snow cover on San Jacinto mountain is fairly reliable, but as pointed out by other posters, it would be burdensome, even with the reduced travel time, to have to repeatedly make this trip.

I don't know, to me driving 2 hours to enjoy snow while living in a climate that will never allow for it consistently or even at all IMBY is no big deal. I'd not live in Southern Califronia for many reasons, lack of snow IMBY is not one of those reasons. A snow lover like myself would have no issues driving the 2 hours quite regularly.

There's definitely something about it snowing in your backyard though that makes it a lot more special. I imagine that's at least part of the reason why, even when we go through terrible winter stretches, none of us drive 2 hours north to see snow. It just isn't the same when you're driving hours out of your way just to see it falling somewhere else.

There's definitely something about it snowing in your backyard though that makes it a lot more special. I imagine that's at least part of the reason why, even when we go through terrible winter stretches, none of us drive 2 hours north to see snow. It isn't quite the same when you're driving hours out of your way just to see it falling somewhere else.

If anything driving that far to see snow when you didn't receive any can get depressing. I drove to Breezy Point, Queens with ag3 to see at least SOME snow that fell from the February 5th-6th, 2010 storm. They had a few inches there while I had literally nothing. Looking at those dark clouds out on the ocean and knowing I missed out on a bomb made me so depressed.

There's definitely something about it snowing in your backyard though that makes it a lot more special. I imagine that's at least part of the reason why, even when we go through terrible winter stretches, none of us drive 2 hours north to see snow. It isn't quite the same when you're driving hours out of your way just to see it falling somewhere else.

That's exactly it. I do enjoy driving to say Camelback ski resort in the Poconos, but when my backyard has barely seen 5" of snow for the season, it's much less fun. Tough to explain, but the whole idea of one's backyard being transformed into a winter wonderland makes it special, coupled with the tracking, seeing your town in the modelled bullseye, and the snowpack afterward of course...

If anything driving that far to see snow when you didn't receive any can get depressing. I drove to Breezy Point, Queens with ag3 to see at least SOME snow that fell from the February 5th-6th, 2010 storm. They had a few inches there while I had literally nothing. Looking at those dark clouds out on the ocean and knowing I missed out on a bomb made me so depressed.

I was thinking the same but couldn't verbalize it in my last post - it's almost a tease, depressing as you said, when you're given the painful reminder that your backyard is unlikely to see 2 ft of snow on the ground.

I was thinking the same but couldn't verbalize it in my last post - it's almost a tease, depressing as you said, when you're given the painful reminder that your backyard is unlikely to see 2 ft of snow on the ground.

I don't know...we have a vacation place in the Poconos, and I have chased several winter storms there, including the October 2009 event. I love seeing it snow there, but I guess it's a second home so it's a little different. I also went to Middlebury College in VT's Champlain Valley, and one of the reasons for going was the higher snowfall totals, and the ability to chase upslope events in the Northern Greens. I also have driven to higher elevations in Westchester north of me in order to watch marginal events. I guess I have mixed feelings regarding this subject.

Guest Pamela

I don't know...we have a vacation place in the Poconos, and I have chased several winter storms there, including the October 2009 event. I love seeing it snow there, but I guess it's a second home so it's a little different. I also went to Middlebury College in VT's Champlain Valley, and one of the reasons for going was the higher snowfall totals, and the ability to chase upslope events in the Northern Greens. I also have driven to higher elevations in Westchester north of me in order to watch marginal events. I guess I have mixed feelings regarding this subject.

The only snow that counts is the snow that falls on your property...if I had a 2nd house in the Poconos as you do...I would certainly enjoy it (assuming I was up there while it was falling)

i think the difference is more like 30 degrees - about a 6000 foot rise in elevation from base level (which roughly coincides with the moist adiabatic rate). I'll concede that the snow cover on San Jacinto mountain is fairly reliable, but as pointed out by other posters, it would be burdensome, even with the reduced travel time, to have to repeatedly make this trip.

I don't know man. Palm Springs is gorgeous. I loved it there. I know in and around LA and San Diego there is plenty of things in your own backyard to keep you occupied and to enjoy but knowing how nice Palm Springs is and knowing that I could even enjoy snow there in the winter would have me there plenty during the winter months regardless of the so called burdensome drive. I would not live there though as it is way too hot in the summer. The people who worked at the visitor center at the beginning of the cable car ride said the top of the cable car ride is consistently 30 degrees cooler than the base of the mountain. However, that is just a benchmark and in the winter it can achieve much cooler differentials. They said that they consider that an average and in winter especially that benchmark is not a reliable measure. The February day I was there it was 68 on the Palm Springs strip and 24 (not the windchill which easily must have been 0 that day with the higher gusts) at the top of the cable car ride which is not even the mountain's peak which is 10,834 feet! The elevation on the strip is just 440 feet. It was 59 at the tram start point.

There's definitely something about it snowing in your backyard though that makes it a lot more special. I imagine that's at least part of the reason why, even when we go through terrible winter stretches, none of us drive 2 hours north to see snow. It just isn't the same when you're driving hours out of your way just to see it falling somewhere else.

Oh no doubt about it if you live in an area that it can snow! If I was stuck in Southern California, there would be no one and nothing that would stop me from getting my winter snow fix and doing the drive as often as needed to get it.

I don't know man. Palm Springs is gorgeous. I loved it there. I know in and around LA and San Diego there is plenty of things in your own backyard to keep you occupied and to enjoy but knowing how nice Palm Springs is and knowing that I could even enjoy snow there in the winter would have me there plenty during the winter months regardless of the so called burdensome drive. I would not live there though as it is way too hot in the summer. The people who worked at the visitor center at the beginning of the cable car ride said the top of the cable car ride is consistently 30 degrees cooler than the base of the mountain. However, that is just a benchmark and in the winter it can achieve much cooler differentials. They said that they consider that an average and in winter especially that benchmark is not a reliable measure. The February day I was there it was 68 on the Palm Springs strip and 24 (not the windchill which easily must have been 0 that day with the higher gusts) at the top of the cable car ride which is not even the mountain's peak which is 10,834 feet! The elevation on the strip is just 440 feet. It was 59 at the tram start point.

I was in S. Cal. several times, including Palm Springs and took the San Jacinto Mountain tram when I was there. Most recently, I was in LA in Nov., 2010 and love the entire area. It's pretty, the food is great and there's a lot to do (during my last trip, I saw the Reagan Presidential Library, checked out a farmers market in Santa Barbara and LA, and revisted Malibu and Santa Monica). In fact, the notion of living in Cal. is becoming more and more appealing to me. It's far superior to Florida.

The problem is that the visits were short and snow and cold at least for part of the year is ingrained in my blood. So the notion of having to travel to it as the only way of reaching it would seem to be a barrier to livihg there for any extended period.

I was in S. Cal. several times, including Palm Springs and took the San Jacinto Mountain tram when I was there. Most recently, I was in LA in Nov., 2010 and love the entire area. It's pretty, the food is great and there's a lot to do (during my last trip, I saw the Reagan Presidential Library, checked out a farmers market in Santa Barbara and LA, and revisted Malibu and Santa Monica). In fact, the notion of living in Cal. is becoming more and more appealing to me. It's far superior to Florida.

The problem is that the visits were short and snow and cold at least for part of the year is ingrained in my blood. So the notion of having to travel to it as the only way of reaching it would seem to be a barrier to living there for any extended period.

I can understand that. I have many reasons why I would not live there, it's just that for me lack of snow is not one of them since I realize it can be accessed reasonably. I would also agree though that it is superior to Florida.

. Wanted to chime in and side with socks on this one. Snow lovers chase snow ....if u don't chase it you may like it a lot but don't love it. I know my area in sne gets 50 -54 inches a year. That's nowhere near enuf for me. I accept my areas climo and the fact I will miss storms that elevated and northern upslope areas get but why not chase them now and again. I mean...if its 36 and cold rain at my house and snowing at 1k I would rather enjoy the storm where its snow..I already know my area is getting rain wether I sit on my couch or chase..always choose snow.

. Wanted to chime in and side with socks on this one. Snow lovers chase snow ....if u don't chase it you may like it a lot but don't love it. I know my area in sne gets 50 -54 inches a year. That's nowhere near enuf for me. I accept my areas climo and the fact I will miss storms that elevated and northern upslope areas get but why not chase them now and again. I mean...if its 36 and cold rain at my house and snowing at 1k I would rather enjoy the storm where its snow..I already know my area is getting rain wether I sit on my couch or chase..always choose snow.

There's always incentive to chase, even when your own locale gets snow (and I get a rush driving into the transistion zone - the r/s line, especially seeing those first wet flakes mixing in). But it becomes a problem when chasing becomes treking.

Waaah :cry: Everyday I drive from Mahopac <> SOHO. I love leaving the city when it's raining or slushing and hitting the Westchester line where it turns to more of a slush/snow mix and then hitting reasonable elevation around Pleasantville and seeing the world turn white (and slippery.) You don't need to go two hours, just get off the coastal plain.

Waaah :cry: Everyday I drive from Mahopac <> SOHO. I love leaving the city when it's raining or slushing and hitting the Westchester line where it turns to more of a slush/snow mix and then hitting reasonable elevation around Pleasantville and seeing the world turn white (and slippery.) You don't need to go two hours, just get off the coastal plain.

I love leaving the city under any circumstances. The problem is getting out of it - the lights, traffic, and length of travel through it, especially in bad weather.

I love leaving the city under any circumstances. The problem is getting out of it - the lights, traffic, and length of travel through it, especially in bad weather.

And then do all that on the way back. I took my wife to Chelsea Piers this past Monday in between rush hours mind you and it took a solid 25 minutes to drive crosstown. I mean come on!

Archived