joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nzucker leaving the NYC area

Alpha5

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to realize that I enjoy summer weather way more than winter. But the move is mostly family related and not permanent.

No way. Lol. You are obsessed with snowstorms. I don't care what you say. I've heard you and talked to you too many times during 2am euro runs and every 3 hours when models come out. Classic text bombs when srefs finally come on board, etc. You are a winter weather weenie. The heat and outdoor activities have gotten to you but once the euro starts showing snowstorms, you're back.

I'll be spending the winter in southern california

I'm beginning to realize that I enjoy summer weather way more than winter. But the move is mostly family related and not permanent.

Earthlite - good luck and safe travels. I'll be between Delray FL and So Cal much of oct - feb. Where in So Cal will you be? While the summer and warmer weather has become more enjoyable to me as well, it is frustrating tracking/observing a good winter storm from out of town. Luckily it wasnt an issue last winter...

It is quite awesome, actually. :P

Good luck, John!

That's great. I actually lived in OKC for 3 years. The people were super friendly and the food was quite good - great chili, fried chicken, barbecue and Mexican. From a weather perspective, as you'll quickly observe, it is often quite windy (typical of the Great Plains), and in the winter, there's a pronounced wind chill when it gets cold, but a dry and more tolerable one than back east. Daytime temps. during the winter usually reach the upper 40's to low 50's but unfortunately, it doesn't get much snow (avg. about 10"/yr), although amounts increase fairly rapidly as you head north into Kansas. However, in the spring, the lightning displays can be quite awesome.

If you get a chance, check out the Cattlemen's Restaurant in downtown OKC in the stockyard's district. It has fantastic steak at good prices and is a tradition there.

http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com/

That's great. I actually lived in OKC for 3 years. The people were super friendly and the food was quite good - great chili, fried chicken, barbecue and Mexican. From a weather perspective, as you'll quickly observe, it is often quite windy (typical of the Great Plains), and in the winter, there's a pronounced wind chill when it gets cold, but a dry and more tolerable one than back east. Daytime temps. during the winter usually reach the upper 40's to low 50's but unfortunately, it doesn't get much snow (avg. about 10"/yr), although amounts increase fairly rapidly as you head north into Kansas. However, in the spring, the lightning displays can be quite awesome.

That is plenty of snow, honestly. Obviously I'd like more but I'll gladly take the insane thunderstorms over snow. From what I hear, ice seems to be the threat around here which I'm not a fan of, but we'll see what happens. It basically seems like everything here is more extreme: the heat, the storms, the drought, the wind, and even the cold (on occasions - a la February 10, 2011). I'm loving the open spaces, huge sky, amazingly friendly people (I can't believe how unfriendly people in NJ/NYC are in comparison), BBQ and Mexican, hot air and the seemingly constant southerly breeze. The wind truly does come sweeping down the Plain...

That is plenty of snow, honestly. Obviously I'd like more but I'll gladly take the insane thunderstorms over snow. From what I hear, ice seems to be the threat around here which I'm not a fan of, but we'll see what happens. It basically seems like everything here is more extreme: the heat, the storms, the drought, the wind, and even the cold (on occasions - a la February 10, 2011). I'm loving the open spaces, huge sky, amazingly friendly people (I can't believe how unfriendly people in NJ/NYC are in comparison), BBQ and Mexican, hot air and the seemingly constant southerly breeze. The wind truly does come sweeping down the Plain...

Sounds like you're adjusting. I'll give you about 6 months before you start longing to come back east. Lol. Even with a car, you'll realize that the distances out there are quite vast, i.e. driving to Tulsa at 150 miles is like driving from NYC to Albany. Dallas is 5 hours and Wichita 4 hours.

Point of interest, OKC seems to be on the dividing line between the true treeless prairies to the west, and deciduous eastern forest (mostly oak there). The trees are quite small where you are and disappear a few miles to the west, but build rapidly just to your east coinciding with the summer moisture line from the GOM. Also, enjoy the numerous oil wells which seem to predominate the landscape, especially to the north, south and west.

My snowfall preferrence is a minimum of 25"/yr, so I wouldn't want to live south of the NYC area on the east coast. My ideal would be around Boston's range, probably 40-45" - plenty of snow to keep you happy, but not enough to get you bored.

T-storms are awesome but are more fleeting in impact compared to winter storms. Snow can stay on the ground for weeks, months on end, an ever present reminder of its beauty. T-storms can leave impacts like downed trees and power outages, but it just doesn't compare in my mind. Plus, there's nothing like tracking a good old fashioned blizzard from days in advance.

amazingly friendly people (I can't believe how unfriendly people in NJ/NYC are in comparison), BBQ and Mexican, hot air and the seemingly constant southerly breeze. The wind truly does come sweeping down the Plain...

I never found people in our area to be unfriendly, but maybe that's because I have nothing to compare it to (we're all just blissfully unware of our own unfriendliness). I think people in the Plains/South may be friendly to your face, but as soon as you turn your back, the dagger goes in.

I never found people in our area to be unfriendly, but maybe that's because I have nothing to compare it to (we're all just blissfully unware of our own unfriendliness). I think people in the Plains/South may be friendly to your face, but as soon as you turn your back, the dagger goes in.

I didn't find people back home unfriendly until I moved here. I also don't think they're being fake. It isn't necessarily anything that even could be behind-your-back. For example, people have had conversations with me the entire time I was checking out at the grocery store, getting a haircut, and even say hello and stop to ask how you're doing while walking down through parks. They're also noticeably less angry on the road (whereas back home people peel out from behind me and cut me off left and right). Maybe there are parts of NJ that are friendly like that but Jersey City most certainly wasn't close. (A few days before I left, I bought a chapstick at a Duane Reade in NYC. The guy did the entire transaction without saying a single thing. No hello, thank you, or even how much it was. Just a dead glare.)

Outside of NY or New England, it is more superficial, and people here are a bit more direct and aggressive. But ultimately, people are the same everywhere.

My snowfall preferrence is a minimum of 25"/yr, so I wouldn't want to live south of the NYC area on the east coast. My ideal would be around Boston's range, probably 40-45" - plenty of snow to keep you happy, but not enough to get you bored.

T-storms are awesome but are more fleeting in impact compared to winter storms. Snow can stay on the ground for weeks, months on end, an ever present reminder of its beauty. T-storms can leave impacts like downed trees and power outages, but it just doesn't compare in my mind. Plus, there's nothing like tracking a good old fashioned blizzard from days in advance.

Remember though, the t-storms they get out in OK are way better than anything we get here 99% of the time, and the view is so much better too since everything is so flat and open. Still don't think I could sacrifice only getting 10'' of snow per winter with temps in the upper 40's/low 50's though; that would be pretty miserable for me. T-storms are awesome but they don't last nearly as long as blizzards and usually impact a much smaller area, plus they don't have the same widespread, long-lasting beauty that snow has. If I wanted to move somewhere in the Midwest I'd move farther north into Nebraska and South Dakota where the winters are usually much colder and snowier but they still have a good chance of seeing some great storms in the spring/summer.

So Oklahoma is basically winter of 11-12 every year. No thanks.

Storms suck too, especially the type they get out there. I'd rather keep my house intact and my electricity flowing. I enjoy roaring thunder and hail (though not if it's damaging) but despise wind/ tornadoes.

I don't want to have to drive 8 hours for mountain snows.

What the heck are you talking about? Those are pictures from Palm Springs. 2 hours at most from LA and less than that from San Diego. I was just there in February, from the LA area south all the way to the border Palm Springs is reachable in less than 3 hours easily.

filename-dsc00404-jpg.jpg

3316397793_3fa4599429_z.jpg

Cable Car ride I took (not my picture but it is the same cable car)

snow-palm-springs-tram-car-jan-22-2010.jpg

The irony of living in Oklahoma is that the chances of seeing a tornado at any given locale is still pretty small unless you're deliberately chasing them, because of their limited surface area and the spacing of them. During the 3 years I was there, I never even saw a funnel cloud, despite fairly frequent warnings, and believe me, I looked.

Outside of NY or New England, it is more superficial, and people here are a bit more direct and aggressive. But ultimately, people are the same everywhere.

Agreed. If you want to get on someone good side, the same methodology can be used no matter where you go.

I prefer the directness/honesty and tend to think people are not being genuine when they're overly nice.

Remember though, the t-storms they get out in OK are way better than anything we get here 99% of the time, and the view is so much better too since everything is so flat and open. Still don't think I could sacrifice only getting 10'' of snow per winter with temps in the upper 40's/low 50's though; that would be pretty miserable for me. T-storms are awesome but they don't last nearly as long as blizzards and usually impact a much smaller area, plus they don't have the same widespread, long-lasting beauty that snow has. If I wanted to move somewhere in the Midwest I'd move farther north into Nebraska and South Dakota where the winters are usually much colder and snowier but they still have a good chance of seeing some great storms in the spring/summer.

Yeah, the lasting impact of snowstorms make them a more interesting weather phenomenon to me. Additionally, as Diego mentioned, a severe storm is not even guaranteed living in the Plains given their narrow/limited scope. Winter storms are much more widespread.

What the heck are you talking about? Those are pictures from Palm Springs. 2 hours at most from LA and less than that from San Diego. I was just there in February, from the LA area south all the way to the border Palm Springs is reachable in less than 3 hours easily.

Cable Car ride I took (not my picture but it is the same cable car)

What you're omitting is the additional time it would take catch and take a cable car to the top of that mountain, and the reliability of having a decent snow cover there.

What you're omitting is the additional time it would take catch and take a cable car to the top of that mountain, and the reliability of having a decent snow cover there.

Lol, the cable car ride is not even 10 minutes and then you have all day to partake in winter activities. The location of the ride is right in the heart of Palm Springs. Obviously you'd have to check the weather report but that is no different than any place else. It doesn't melt much in the winter either due to a drastic temperature difference on the mountain (40 degrees colder which keeps the mountain in the low-mid 30's on average for the most part from December through February).

The irony of living in Oklahoma is that the chances of seeing a tornado at any given locale is still pretty small unless you're deliberately chasing them, because of their limited surface area and the spacing of them. During the 3 years I was there, I never even saw a funnel cloud, despite fairly frequent warnings, and believe me, I looked.

That's why you chase. :P (Though as you mentioned earlier, the lightning displays are widespread and incredible, and tornadoes aside, even the average storm is much more severe out here).

There's plenty of snow within a 2 hours' drive from NYC as well but I don't see anyone here driving that far just to see snow. And we are weenies too!

Some of you guys might do so, but how often? Once or twice a winter? Which means if you live in southern California and you're doing the equivalent there you'll see snow once or twice that year. Wow!

There's plenty of snow within a 2 hours' drive from NYC as well but I don't see anyone here driving that far just to see snow. And we are weenies too!

Some of you guys might do so, but how often? Once or twice a winter? Which means if you live in southern California and you're doing the equivalent there you'll see snow once or twice that year. Wow!

Better than we had last winter, even the "snow" we did see was more slush which melted in 8 hours.

2 hour drive equates to seeing snow once or twice a year? Look if you want snow in Southern California you have no choice. If you love snow enough and you live somewhere between the border and LA, you'd likely go to Palm Springs every weekend that you have available after just one storm in the winter and there'd be snow there for you until spring. In NYC you do not have to take a trip 2 hours to see snow, unless you have a winter like last year of course :facepalm:

All you have to do in most NYC winters is stay in the comfort of your home and you'll get the snow thirst quenched eventually.

2 hour drive equates to seeing snow once or twice a year? Look if you want snow in Southern California you have no choice. If you love snow enough and you live somewhere between the border and LA, you'd likely go to Palm Springs every weekend that you have available after just one storm in the winter and there'd be snow there for you until spring. In NYC you do not have to take a trip 2 hours to see snow, unless you have a winter like last year of course :facepalm:

All you have to do in most NYC winters is stay in the comfort of your home and you'll get the snow thirst quenched eventually.

We're actually in agreement. If earthlight is in San Diego, how often can you see him driving hours to see snow? That's the thing. Snow is pretty dependable in the Catskills more often than not but none of us drive there just to see snow, even when we have crappy stretches. In that party of California it simply does not able outside of the mountains, so every time that he'll want to see snow he will have to drive hours to see it.

Archived