wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Sunday/Monday Coastal (Aug 14/15)

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The areas that downslope like CON, ALB and much of SNE have had quite a few more very hot days this summer than Pete or my location. It puts a whole different perspective on the summer heat for you people. We cooled off and you had one more sizzling day on west winds each time. I'm not saying it's a cool summer, but I bet there were 10 days at least where downslope areas had high 80s or 90+ and the non-downslope ridges and mountains were not bad at all.

KCON had 9 days in the 90s and hit 100 one day in July.. Thats really cold

Not all of us live at 1,400'

I have used the a/c about 12 days this summer total. A couple in June, half a dozen in July and four of those mild, but nasty muggy days in early August.

I'd say I could have used it maybe 5 or 7 days more if I had wanted optimum comfort, but I put up with the house getting to around 78-80F knowing it would cool nicely those evenings. It's humidity I really can't take.

Pete seems to think that its being rainy means that it was cool. He doesn't seem to understand the difference between temperature anomalies and precipitation anomalies. Trust me: I live in the hellhole that is the NYC inner suburbs, and it has been HOT this summer, especially in July. I usually only put the bedroom A/C on when it's really necessary for sleeping, and this summer was the most I've used it (I have been spending summers here since 2006, except for last year when I got a job in Montana.) I think I only had the A/C off and the windows open 2-3 times in July...June wasn't that bad, and so far August has been fairly cool/rainy except for the first few days. Being a gardener and someone who spends a lot of time outdoors playing tennis and running, I can definitively say it's been a warm summer. I can't remember hardly any nights in July with lows much below 70F, and the average monthly minimum is 65F here in July. We usually get a few cooler nights in the 60F range when I can shut the A/C off and open the windows for sleeping, but not this time around, not in July 2011. Luckily, it's cooled down a bunch and I'm able to be comfortable in my house right now.

I have used the a/c about 12 days this summer total. A couple in June, half a dozen in July and four of those mild, but nasty muggy days in early August.

I'd say I could have used it maybe 5 or 7 days more if I had wanted optimum comfort, but I put up with the house getting to around 78-80F knowing it would cool nicely those evenings. It's humidity I really can't take.

Same here. Only a few days was it really hot...but high dews are the pits

Who the f*ck do you think you are to say what I do and don't understand? I knew the difference between temp/precip anomalies before you were born. Who gives a rat's azz about the heat in NYC's suburbs. We're talking about NE and I specifically am speaking about my location.

Running around outside in your short shorts and tube socks for an hour or two every few days hardly compares to what Joe and I do everyday so don't think you can speak with a real understanding of what it's like to face the elements. When it's hot on a construction site you can't run into mommy's a/c house for some lemonade. When it's -15 below there's nobody waiting to take your mittens off and put a nice hot chocolate down in front of you. It simply has not been a hot summer here as a number of other posters have pointed out it's been average at best.

You keep saying "It's been a cool, rainy summer" and then talking about how much precipitation New England climo sites have received. But having a lot of rain doesn't make it a cool summer, the first part of your statement; you try to make an inextricable link between these two ideas, which doesn't exist in meteorology. We've posted ORH climate data, temperature anomaly maps, as well as July climate summaries....all of them point to a hot month that overrides the fact that temperatures in June were around normal. In fact, we've been in an above normal regime for all of the late spring/summer, and there's no denying it.

Here is May 1-July 31st, looks as if you were above normal:

post-475-0-64988600-1313461756.png

Here is July only, you are greater than +2F anomaly, Pete:

post-475-0-11647700-1313461811.png

It doesn't matter whether you work outside, whether I have AC, or whatnot. Meteorological data shows it's been a warm summer relative to climate normals for that area. End of story. Your cool, rainy summer did not verify. It's been hot in Dobbs Ferry, and it's been hot in West Chesterfield. Whatever you observe from your construction site at 2000' doesn't make a difference. Your prediction was wrong...you got the above average precipitation part right, but you blew the temperatures.

Awesome pics Joe

Kids must enjoy having you build that

They do! And thats by hand, the snow that falls on the deck gets pushed into the yard, just behind that pic is the redneck pit i make every winter, its a true treat to see the kids sled and board down the small yet cliff like vertical drop LOL. I love snow, many good times last winter, then Feb and March smacked us back to reality down this way

It's all relative to elevation. There shouldn't even be a debate..it's insane.

Thank you. If it's been hot, admit it. I don't see why Pete keeps contradicting NCDC/NWS data just because he feels it hasn't been a hot summer at 2000' in the Berkshires. Of course it's not going to be as hot there as NYC, but it's still been an above normal regime for most of the United States except the West Coast. There is really nothing to discuss here.

Thank you. If it's been hot, admit it. I don't see why Pete keeps contradicting NCDC/NWS data just because he feels it hasn't been a hot summer at 2000' in the Berkshires. Of course it's not going to be as hot there as NYC, but it's still been an above normal regime for most of the United States except the West Coast. There is really nothing to discuss here.

Too bad you can not run the June 1 St to Aug 12 th numbers, most of the positive deviation is from higher nighttime temps. Only one day of record highs in my hood this summer, just seems that it's been normal. Love the Hurricane Connie on the 18Z GFS, would not surprise me if river flooding becomes an issue late month.

Too bad you can not run the June 1 St to Aug 12 th numbers, most of the positive deviation is from higher nighttime temps. Only one day of record highs in my hood this summer, just seems that it's been normal. Love the Hurricane Connie on the 18Z GFS, would not surprise me if river flooding becomes an issue late month.

Yuppers... we have a winner

Steve, it doesn't matter. Pete has not had a cool summer.

Down here we had really high maximums from July 17-23, so I'm not sure this is entirely true for my location. We did have a ton of elevated nighttime temperatures earlier in July, but we also had some truly scorching weather later in the month.

July 17: 90/71

July 18: 93/74

July 19: 89/73

July 20: 86/70

July 21: 95/72

July 22: 102/82

July 23: 96/79

Down here we had really high maximums from July 17-23, so I'm not sure this is entirely true for my location. We did have a ton of elevated nighttime temperatures earlier in July, but we also had some truly scorching weather later in the month.

July 17: 90/71

July 18: 93/74

July 19: 89/73

July 20: 86/70

July 21: 95/72

July 22: 102/82

July 23: 96/79

ugh... 82 for a low.... just kill me now.

Rindge won't be anything like that

Archived