Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Solar Blast

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't we have an X28 in 2003? I recall some amazing northern lights but even then the power grid managed to do ok.

November 4 2003-it was initially rated as X28 but a later study indicates that it may have reached X44. Iy was a limb flare so no direct hit occurred from the CME. It was a wonder to observed through a telescope. The same region produced a X17 in late October that resulted in the 5th most intense Gemag storm on record on October 29-30 with Aurbo seen in FL and the upper Tropics.

Steve

Given the speed of propagation (1900 km/sec) plus the fact that the CME has swept up two others and we have a fairly hefty proton event in progress, assuming the polaity of the magnetic fields of the CME are favorable and strong, the intial impact could be stronger than G3 (Kp=7) especially in the initial phase of the storm. Unfotunately, the forecast arrival time is after sunrise in the US and still daylight in Europe so any show is likely to be an Asian and Southern one. However, the 7 hour period of opportunity prior to 1300Z is during the favorable midnight to dawn period in the US so an early impact could bring a show to the US and to latitudes further south than indicated. One important thing to note-aurorae respond to short period changes in the field so monitoring either the USAF hourly Gemag reports or actual magnetometer traces (such as those on the HAARP site) is a must. When you see the values rise rapidly it's time to look. The Bz values plus the Bt on Spaceweather .com are also useful you want to see strong negative values on the former and strong values in the latter.

Steve

November 4 2003-it was initially rated as X28 but a later study indicates that it may have reached X44. Iy was a limb flare so no direct hit occurred from the CME. It was a wonder to observed through a telescope. The same region produced a X17 in late October that resulted in the 5th most intense Gemag storm on record on October 29-30 with Aurbo seen in FL and the upper Tropics.

Steve

If that would have hit earth we would have been in trouble.

Steve

Yeah I saw the northern lights on Long Island on October 30th of that year. I have seen them once in NC too. Ironically all this after taking a trip to Alaska to see the aurora in 2000.

Yeah I saw the northern lights on Long Island on October 30th of that year. I have seen them once in NC too. Ironically all this after taking a trip to Alaska to see the aurora in 2000.

I saw the northern lights here in SC back in March of 1989. Was scared until I realized what I was seeing.

Didn't we have an X28 in 2003? I recall some amazing northern lights but even then the power grid managed to do ok.

I know there was a fairly impressive event in the winter of 04-05, I remember a great Northern Light show that lit the entire Northern sky up one night back in Mount Pleasant. I want to say it was in November of 2004.

Unlike pretty much every other solar "event" over the past few years, this one actually looks pretty promising. Thankfully the CME is running late... the later the better. Camera batteries are on the charger. It's been so long that I needed to check the manual to find the long exposure settings on my camera. :arrowhead:

It will be interesting to track the northern lights. Mabye they will be visible @ 40N and below.

Unlike pretty much every other solar "event" over the past few years, this one actually looks pretty promising. Thankfully the CME is running late... the later the better. Camera batteries are on the charger. It's been so long that I needed to check the manual to find the long exposure settings on my camera. :arrowhead:

i'm concerned about clouds and fog in our area...hopefully there is enough of a break to see something good.

Archived