wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Solar Blast

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solar-Blast cancel.

Actually not-the storm occurred as predicted (in fact stronger than so) but the fast moving CME cleared the near Earth Space environment before it could impact it more directly. Have to realize that not all G4 and 5 Gemag storms cause the strong impacts indicated in the description-in fact few of them do. Although we've had perhaps a dozen G5 events since March 1989, only the 1989 event and possibly the 2003 one resulted in a large number of G5 impacts and that was because they were sustained at G5 for some time whereas the others were short duration. I have actually direstly experienced effects from big Gemags in my work and even hobby so I know what they can do and what it takes to do it.

Steve

The geomagnetic field is expected to be predominantly quiet to unsettled for the next three days (10-12 August). Unsettled conditions are expected on Day 1 (10 August) as a weak remnant of the 08 August CME arrives. Currently, a return to mostly quiet conditions is expected on Days 2 and 3 (11-12 August).
Analysis of the 09/0906Z CME is presently underway to determine its potential geoeffectiveness.

surprising that it's taking so long.

The geomagnetic field is expected to be predominantly quiet to unsettled for the next three days (10-12 August). Unsettled conditions are expected on Day 1 (10 August) as a weak remnant of the 08 August CME arrives. Currently, a return to mostly quiet conditions is expected on Days 2 and 3 (11-12 August).
Analysis of the 09/0906Z CME is presently underway to determine its potential geoeffectiveness.

Thinking back to threads of old where low solar activity was blamed for certain weather patterns, in ways far beyond what a reasonably educated guy who did not have a met or related science degree could understand, how will this solar blast effect our sensible weather, if any, beyond brighter aurora activity.

I'm surprised how anemic the CME looks considering the strength of the flare.

I was looking at some videos of previous CME's... beautiful full halos that propagated out of the lasco C3 field of view in only 4-5 frames.

post-18-0-17145300-1312929312.gif

Archived