• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The inevitable

gkrangers

The winters of 1984-85 and 1999-2000 were second year NINAS and produced colder temps than their first year counterpart.2008-09 was as close to a second year NINA as it could get.THe only winter I can think that underperformed was the second year NINA of 1974-75.1975-76 in its 3rd year did have a 0 degree temp.

The winters of 1984-85 and 1999-2000 were second year NINAS and produced colder temps than their first year counterpart.2008-09 was as close to a second year NINA as it could get.THe only winter I can think that underperformed was the second year NINA of 1974-75.1975-76 in its 3rd year did have a 0 degree temp.

those winters seem like ages ago...1984 had the warmest February on record...December 1984 and February 1985 had 70 degree temperatures..1974-75 had a two week winter...1975-76 had 70 degree temperatures in February...1999-00 didn't have a measurable snowfall until the second half of January...If we get the same kind of blocking we had the last two years again we will get a decent winter...

So, I think we need to just face facts and realize there is just no way we are going to top last winter. The sooner we deal with it, the less disappointing this upcoming winter will be.

We aren't getting mega bomb after mega bomb.

Who's with me?

141 years of statistics overwhelmingly support this.

:snowman: I'm not with you

Passion always wins out. Lol.

I'm currently leaning towards slightly below average temperatures and normal snowfall. Will seem like a snowfall drought compared to last year.

At this stage, I'd agree. Gun to the head call would be a -2 winter with 25-30" of snow. Pretty cold winter but nowhere near as snowy as the last two. Once October comes I'll start looking more seriously at the winter...right now this is a low confidence idea.

At this stage, I'd agree. Gun to the head call would be a -2 winter with 25-30" of snow. Pretty cold winter but nowhere near as snowy as the last two. Once October comes I'll start looking more seriously at the winter...right now this is a low confidence idea.

We got that in one storm last year.

We got that in one storm last year.

Yeah and I'll never forget it. Best Christmas present a wx freak could ever want. Going to bed Christmas eve with the GFS showing an all out blizzard for NJ within 48 hrs. And a couple days later, we witnessed the best storm in 15 years.

1971-2 underperformed 1970-1. The February 1972 snowstorm was a mixed bag of garbage. January 1971, its winter's coldest month was far colder than its arguable counterpart, February 1972. One could argue, I suppose, that 1971-2 was a third-year Niña (as I do) but most do not consider 1969-70 a La Niña winter.

Unquestionably, when it comes to multi-year Niñas 1955-6 outperformed 1953-4 and 1954-5.

Yeah and I'll never forget it. Best Christmas present a wx freak could ever want. Going to bed Christmas eve with the GFS showing an all out blizzard for NJ within 48 hrs. And a couple days later, we witnessed the best storm in 15 years.

Yep, that GFS run on December 24 was absolutely magical. And the WV loop to follow up was just unreal. The digging, the trough, the tilt as that thing came up the coast. Never again.

Yep, that GFS run on December 24 was absolutely magical. And the WV loop to follow up was just unreal. The digging, the trough, the tilt as that thing came up the coast. Never again.

I saved the forecast from Noaa for my area on the night of December 26th. I almost fell out of my seat when I saw this forecast.

Tonight: Snow and widespread blowing snow before 5am, then areas of blowing snow

and a chance of snow after 5am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder

is also possible. Low around 20. Wind chill values as low as -1. Very windy,

with a north wind between 33 and 40 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of

precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches

possible.

Yeah I think we both have a fair stance right now. The enso looked more promising a few weeks ago. I was hoping we'd go for the 3 winter sweep with the weak nino. Oh well.

Yeah I think we both have a fair stance right now. The enso looked more promising a few weeks ago. I was hoping we'd go for the 3 winter sweep with the weak nino. Oh well.

We've done very well with weak la ninas so we shall see :)

So, I think we need to just face facts and realize there is just no way we are going to top last winter. The sooner we deal with it, the less disappointing this upcoming winter will be.

We aren't getting mega bomb after mega bomb.

Who's with me?

I already hope this IS the case. I hope a below average snowfall + above average temp Winter isn't too much to ask for.

*waits to be attacked*

I don't even want to think about winter or fall, I'm enjoying summer. When September/October arrives I'll be annoyed until April lol.

As we witnessed last year the strong Nina couldnt dominate the favorable Atlantic pattern we had especially the first half of the winter. With a weak Nina forecast i think it's a safe bet that there will be plenty of cold air available In Canada. If we can get favorable blocking it should be another awesome winter. Only time will tell...

I'm currently leaning towards slightly below average temperatures and normal snowfall. Will seem like a snowfall drought compared to last year.

Yes, I agree.

I doubt we can get a Kocin event three straight years in a row....

In the past two years alone..... the Northeast has seen a total of: 7 Kocin events, quite remarkable.

Archived