Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July 21-? Severe Weather

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL 916 PM CDT WED JUL 27 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN THE QUAD CITIES HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EASTERN JACKSON COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL IOWA...

CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTHWEST ILLINOIS... SOUTHERN JO DAVIESS COUNTY IN NORTHWEST ILLINOIS...UNTIL 1000 PM CDT.

AT 911 PM CDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A TORNADO NEAR WHITTON...OR 15 MILES SOUTH OF GALENA...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH. SPOTTERS HAVE REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD IN NORTHEAST JACKSON COUNTY WITH THIS STORM.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...

WHITTON AND HANOVER AROUND 915 PM CDT...

GREEN ISLAND AND REECEVILLE AROUND 920 PM CDT...

MISSISSIPPI PALISADES AROUND 935 PM CDT... SABULA AROUND 940 PM CDT...

SAVANNA AROUND 945 PM CDT...

CENTER HILL AND WACKER AROUND 955 PM CDT...

THIS WARNING REPLACES THE EARLIER TORNADO WARNING FOR JACKSON COUNTY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE IN A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT OR INTERIOR ROOM OR HALLWAY ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A BUILDING.

One hell of a light show to the north here right now.

It''ll be interesting to see how the couplet north of Savanna reacts over the next few scans. That area has been outflowed so we may see it weaken in the lower layers.

Regardless DVN will be busy with surveys tomorrow in JD/Stephenson Counties. And to think I missed out on tagging along by 2 days. :thumbsdown:

Also it is important to note that cell spun up even tighter as it crossed the remnant outflow from the earlier storms.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

930 PM CDT WED JUL 27 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0928 PM TSTM WND GST 4 NE ROCKFORD 42.31N 89.01W

07/27/2011 E80 MPH WINNEBAGO IL TRAINED SPOTTER

NORTHEAST SIDE OF ROCKFORD NEAR NORTH ALPINE ROAD AND

SPRING CREEK ROAD.

This is from in between Lena and Stockton just under one mile north of Rt. 20 in far western Stephenson County. Just before this time, there were three couplets lined up along the Rt. 20 corridor extending back west toward Galena. This was the easternmost, and hence the one that made the most sense to position for, as I was approaching from the east.

I grabbed this frame later off KMKX. It shows my approximate location on Sunnyside Rd as the couplet passed just to the north.

post-855-0-31331400-1311826254.png

The first photo shows the cell approaching. There was excellent inflow at this point. Incidentally, this type of view was a rare find on my short chase today in terms of the road surface being higher than the corn for a short stretch! I would remain parked here for about fifteen minutes, until I finally headed back down to 20 and then east to try and stay ahead of things.

post-855-0-03360200-1311826430.jpg

As the wall cloud approached with visible rotation, and some rough appendages, I watched until finally a funnel dropped and remained for maybe thirty seconds. I have a nice video of this as well. With a short series of frames, the rotation is actually a bit evident, even without video.

post-855-0-14768700-1311826578.jpg

post-855-0-69105200-1311826595.jpg

post-855-0-47742400-1311826616.jpg

post-855-0-62973400-1311826644.jpg

Nice pics Kevlon! Definitely looks like a funnel to me.

Surprised Matt Petkovic didn't call in a wedge at some point this evening.

Speaking of him, it was interesting to watch his SN icon jump around long distances in a short amount of time.

I already read a topic about this on SN...

Nearly stationary supercells doing the splits just to my south, I should go chase them.

Do it! We expect pics/vid by 03z lol. There are some nice looking sups down there. Moving nice and slow too, which would be excellent for chasing.

Storms are beginning to grow and fester in western Iowa. These things will probably continue to organize and grow upscale, and end up impacting eastern Iowa and northern Illinois later this evening.

Do it! We expect pics/vid by 03z lol. There are some nice looking sups down there. Moving nice and slow too, which would be excellent for chasing.

Storms are beginning to grow and fester in western Iowa. These things will probably continue to organize and grow upscale, and end up impacting eastern Iowa and northern Illinois later this evening.

I am thinking about it...only thing stopping me is I need to get my tires changed...my left front is literally about to blow. I don't want to go flying down the interstate with that tire, lol. We will see, if development spreads N a little more I may have to go.

Archived