• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
July 21-? Severe Weather

non-severe line in northern illinois starting to get a little more organized, might make a run towards ORD, lay a nice boundary out.

LOT thinks the line makes it as far south as MDW

BAND OF TSRA HAVE DEVELOPED ACROSS NW IL AND ARE MOVING TO THE

EAST INTO SLIGHTLY MORE UNSTABLE AIR. TSRA SHOULD EXIT THE RFD

AREA AROUND 14Z AND REACH DPA...ORD...AND MDW BETWEEN 15Z AND 16Z.

THE END OF THE TSRA BAND MAY STAY JUST TO THE NORTH OF GYY.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with the 12z 4km wrf comes a flood watch for just about all of Chicagoland. The slow moving and backbuilding linear line sliding south as advertised by that run would drop widespread heavy rains over already saturated soils.

MKX should probably go with one too for the southern row of counties, especially Kenosha and Walworth. I can see why they wouldn't put the MKE area under one, since we haven't had particularly excessive rainfall recently.

Tomorrow actually looks pretty decent for Maine as well.

Thanks for the shout out. ;)

As is usually the case though, what warrants a SLGT in the Midwest is not so in Maine. Typically the big days up here are once winds become more westerly, because then our convective debris clears out sooner. Once that occurs the elevated heating off the mountains takes over, and we're usually going by noon. Sort of like yesterday.

Sitting here just NW of Cedar Rapids, IA in Urbana, IA. Some good moisture convergence to my west a little bit. I would like to see the 0-1km shear pick up some though. My favorite Short Fuse Composite maps aren't all working on DMX's site :(

I'm 16 miles north of you. The fact that you are in the area makes me pay a bit more attention. How soon are you expecting some sort of initiation?

From LOT...

TONIGHT...POSITION OF THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY WILL BE KEY IN DETERMINING WHERE THUNDERSTORMS TRACK THIS EVENING THROUGH TOMORROW MORNING. MORNING MODEL GUIDANCE NOT PICKING UP ON THE DISTURBED WIND FIELD OF THIS MORNING AND THEREFORE HAVE THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY PLACED TOO FAR NORTH FOR THIS AFTERNOON. WHILE THE FRONT WILL LIKELY MOVE NORTHWARD SOMEWHAT...MODEL PLACEMENT MAY BE TOO FAR NORTH. THIS HAS BIG IMPLICATIONS ON PLACEMENT OF THUNDER CHANCES THROUGH TONIGHT. WARM ADVECTION AND LOW LEVEL JET POINTED NORTHEASTWARD INTO CENTRAL/EASTERN IOWA WILL LIKELY TRIGGER CONVECTION ACROSS THIS AREA LATE THIS AFTERNOON ON PERIPHERY OF MID LEVEL CAP. THIS CONVECTION WILL THEN MOVE EASTWARD ALONG THE INSTABILITY GRADIENT...WHICH BASED ON SPC MESOANALYSIS HAS BEEN BUILDING IN THE WARM SECTOR SOUTH OF THE FRONT AND CREEPING NORTHWARD. SCATTERED CONVECTION CONTINUES TO DEVELOP NORTH OF THE BOUNDARY ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN WITH A QUASI-ORGANIZED AREA OF SHOWERS/STORMS MOVING ACROSS SOUTH-CENTRAL WISCONSIN IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MESOSCALE VORTEX. THIS MAY ALSO INHIBIT NORTHWARD MOVEMENT OF THE FRONT. SEVERE POTENTIAL EXISTS INTO THIS EVENING ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS THANKS TO HIGH INSTABILITY AGAINST THE BOUNDARY...40-45 KT OF DEEP LAYER SHEAR...AND A GRADIENT OF HIGH SFC-3 KM CAPE ALONG THE BOUNDARY AS WELL. THREATS WILL BE DAMAGING WIND GUSTS...LARGE HAIL...THOUGH SEVERE HAIL HAS BEEN TOUGH TO GET IN THE WARM AIRMASS...AND ISOLATED TORNADOES NEAR THE BOUNDARY.

I'm 16 miles north of you. The fact that you are in the area makes me pay a bit more attention. How soon are you expecting some sort of initiation?

I'm actually headed to a McDonald's in Independence now. Ummm, maybe 22z? idk..haha

I'm now starting to question what Tony had to say. Parameters are there, and nuts! 200 0-3km CAPE, somebody pull the trigger!

I'm actually headed to a McDonald's in Independence now. Ummm, maybe 22z? idk..haha

I'm now starting to question what Tony had to say. Parameters are there, and nuts! 200 0-3km CAPE, somebody pull the trigger!

Hope you enjoyed THE McDonald's in Independence. Just spent an hour outside working - it is ridiculously humid. My weather station has us at 91/77. Don't see a tremendous amount of vertical growth in the clouds right now, but with the instability, wouldn't take much. According to mesoanalysis by SPC may be just a smidge of a cap left. More worried about rain - we had 6 inches last weekend here after 3 weeks of nothing. Big rain tonight would have nowhere to go.

Initiation...somewhat linear, but we'll see how things evolve.

Yeah, it's probably a bit elevated given the marginal CINH apparent in mesoanalysis. The storms are moving in accordance with mean flow, and not propagating SSEwawrd quite yet, suggesting that sheer is sufficient for more organized structures in anything that gets Sfc based.

Again, I think these are elevated, which will likely preclude any tornadic potential; however, the seem to be quickly developing upscale.

I'm not so sure about that...SBCINH is only about -25J/kg and that's not enough to totally preclude that this could be sfc-based...could it be elevated? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Archived