Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured with La Nina we were going to get some of them :devilsmiley:..... when the pattern sends troughs into the west. But it does seem to reload the cold after that... Though I haven't looked at 12Z much past this coming week yet so that is based on what I saw at 0Z.

I know its the last thing on many of your minds, but as a WNYer....I'm far more concerned about the insane torch later this week into next weekend. 60 degrees on NYE is not out of the question....YUCK. This is going to destroy the local resorts base!!

Merry Christmas to you and the family Andy.I may be going in myself as the supervisor called and asked "if" we get snow, can I go in and get the repairs done that were left undone because this storm was not going to hit us at all.I am torn between going now just for the extra o/t or waiting to get a better idea to see if it is going to hit,how much ECT(stall in other words LOL!!)

I'm going in. No eve newscasts just an 11pm. I'll set the table. GFS is ominous for all of ENY and can't be discounted but it also loves to "over do" QP to the north and nw of lows in the colder air. Love the snow ratios though. CAP and I are thinking close to 15:1 show even an inch of liquid. Banding isuses also huge with this system what type, how many and where all of concern but probably not answerable 'til Sunday 12z/18z runs come in.

Andy,

THANK YOU for posting here. Being called in to work on a holiday I know is part of your gig, but I'm sure there are other things you could be doing right now rolleyes.gif

I'm hopeful things continue to move NW, just as they last systems did... for once that would work out in our favor Snowman.gif

Merry Christmas to all!

Andy,

THANK YOU for posting here. Being called in to work on a holiday I know is part of your gig, but I'm sure there are other things you could be doing right now rolleyes.gif

I'm hopeful things continue to move NW, just as they last systems did... for once that would work out in our favor Snowman.gif

Merry Christmas to all!

You're welcome couch...yes I would like to be hitting the egg nog but won't. ;-). I've worked holidays before so its no big deal, even came in on vacation, its part of the gig.

Storm being a bit further West is more important than QPF at this point. We want Andy's banding to make it further west.

Banding is going to be huge and will also wreak havoc on the totals.

Storm being a bit further West is more important than QPF at this point. We want Andy's banding to make it further west.

yeah looking at the suny mm5 you can see some intense banding on the northwest side of this thing. If it bombs out as advertised someone could get a nice suprise.

I know its the last thing on many of your minds, but as a WNYer....I'm far more concerned about the insane torch later this week into next weekend. 60 degrees on NYE is not out of the question....YUCK. This is going to destroy the local resorts base!!

agreed - been following the longer range pattern and all NWP indicates a major warm-up w/ significant rainfall late next week, prob on weekend. Suspect that most of the eastern seaboard will be bare ground after next weekend. Some of the long range GFS runs have indicated a slow moving heavy rain event with temps well into the 50s for a couple/few days. Hopefully, this won't be a winter where there's 2 weeks of fun and the rest is relatively uneventful, but I could see that playing out, or at least January being a relative dud. We've certainly been in the doldrums for over a week now w/ really no endpoint in sight, excepting the coastal low which is of no consequence out this way.

Okay after looking at GFS and Hires NAM (12km) data in WINGRIDDS I find both of their QPF a bit odd to me. NAM very dry across ENY actually shafting areas just to the west thru north of Albany while the GFS is too wet perhaps.

For now leaning on UK QP output for starters as it appears to be a decent compromise between the 2 models AND it actually looks more reasonable wrt the system's structure as is forecast by all models. EC (to me actually) looks similar to UK in terms of track and superimposing the RH maps on e-wall with UK's QPF maps one gets a pretty good idea on first guess for amounts and orientation of expected snow fall contours.

Using "Wx-type" movement analogs from my "shiprouting" days for "maritime" lows I am also thinking this will be more west and towards the coast. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it tracks west of the BM.

Okay after looking at GFS and Hires NAM (12km) data in WINGRIDDS I find both of their QPF a bit odd to me. NAM very dry across ENY actually shafting areas just to the west thru north of Albany while the GFS is too wet perhaps.

For now leaning on UK QP output for starters as it appears to be a decent compromise between the 2 models AND it actually looks more reasonable wrt the system's structure as is forecast by all models. EC (to me actually) looks similar to UK in terms of track and superimposing the RH maps on e-wall with UK's QPF maps one gets a pretty good idea on first guess for amounts and orientation of expected snow fall contours.

Using "Wx-type" movement analogs from my "shiprouting" days for "maritime" lows I am also thinking this will be more west and towards the coast. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it tracks west of the BM.

18z nam has come well west from 12z hits the capital district and points southeast real hard.

What's it show for northeast oneida county?

The North Country won't see much more than a few light flurries if that. There is just not enough moisture for anything more than that. I would be surprised if more than a half inch fell by Monday morning...After that, the costal low moves away so fast that the chance for LES is marginal at best.

What's it show for northeast oneida county?

around .10 maybe less theres a real sharp cutoff just northwest of albany so even northwest fulton and montgomery counties get under .75" while ALB gets 1.25. Logan11 should like this run as it jackpots right near his house with near 1.75"

18z nam has come well west from 12z hits the capital district and points southeast real hard.

GEFS 12z mean looks to be west of the BM too. The plot thickens.

The North Country won't see much more than a few light flurries if that. There is just not enough moisture for anything more than that. I would be surprised if more than a half inch fell by Monday morning...After that, the costal low moves away so fast that the chance for LES is marginal at best.

You just couldn't stay away from the weather for a day! ;-) :whistle:

Well I should talk..heading in to work now. Hope the 11pm isn't too late in going on as ABC is running a NBA triple-header today.

Merry Christmas EVERYONE!

Depends where you define as North Country. Southern Dacks around GFL and the lower part of Lk. George look to do well to me :snowman:

Well I should talk..heading in to work now. Hope the 11pm isn't too late in going on as ABC is running a NBA triple-header today.

Likewise Andy, and good luck with the forecast and the feets of snow in your viewing area!!!

Merry Christmas to all.....may Jan. provide us all insane snows!

I know....But what can I say, when you're addicted your addicted :rolleyes: ...Anyway enjoy the snow. Merry Christmas to you and everyone on the board.

so your saying there's a chance

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

AN INTENSIFYING AREA OF LOW PRESSURE MOVING NEAR THE ATLANTIC

SEABOARD ON SUNDAY...HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE A MODERATE TO

HEAVY SNOWFALL SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING DEPENDING ON THE

EXACT TRACK OF THE SYSTEM. STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER UPDATES FROM YOUR

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ038&warncounty=NYC043&firewxzone=NYZ038&local_place1=Herkimer+NY&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

I gotta ask another dumb question. I went out got some work done,came home put the plow on the truck, came in turned the heat in the garage on to get some last minute work done on some other vehicles, and I noticed the ALB NWS pulled the HWO highlight down for our area...did it change again away from us??? I am tired of putting this plow on my truck to take it off again...

I gotta ask another dumb question. I went out got some work done,came home put the plow on the truck, came in turned the heat in the garage on to get some last minute work done on some other vehicles, and I noticed the ALB NWS pulled the HWO highlight down for our area...did it change again away from us??? I am tired of putting this plow on my truck to take it off again...

Not sure....I haven't checked, but the new 18z GFS ensemble means throw much more qpf back toward CNY....around .4 or .5 to SYR....and progressively more to the east.

Not sure....I haven't checked, but the new 18z GFS ensemble means throw much more qpf back toward CNY....around .4 or .5 to SYR....and progressively more to the east.

the GFS ensembles are really bullish on a decent snow all the way back into central ny. i guess we wont know until 00z tonight. If the canadian models come west thats a good sign because they seem to be the eastern outliers.

You ENY'ers deserve this!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :snowman:

.SHORT TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --...MAJOR NOR`EASTER TO IMPACT THE REGION SUNDAY INTO MONDAY...

AT THIS TIME YESTERDAY...EXPECTATIONS WERE FOR THIS STORM TO TRACK

EAST TO LIMIT ITS IMPACT ACROSS THE REGION DUE TO CONCERNS OF

MODEL INITIALIZATIONS. MODEL PERFORMANCE AND ASSOCIATED ENSEMBLES

LEADING UP TO THIS EVENT WERE LESS THAN IDEAL. TO BE SURE...THERE

WILL BE SOME RESEARCH AND CASE EXERCISES IN THE FUTURE ON THIS

EVENT.

WITH THE ARRIVAL OF YESTERDAYS 18Z DATA /INCLUDING THE 12Z 12/24 GFS

THAT WAS THE MOST WEST SOLUTION/...THE TRENDS WERE WEST. ALL

AVAILABLE GUIDANCE TODAY...LIKELY DUE TO POSITIVE CONTRIBUTIONS

FROM AIRCRAFT COMPLETING DROPSONDES ACROSS THE GULF LAST

NIGHT...NOW SUPPORTS A SIGNIFICANT EAST COAST STORM WITH ITS

IMPACTS BEING FELT ACROSS MOST OF OUR CWA. THE GUIDANCE TRACK

ENVELOPE CONTINUES TO SHRINK WITH METEOROLOGICAL BOMB EVOLVING

JUST EAST OF NJ AND SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND SUNDAY NIGHT. THIS IS

WITHIN THE BENCHMARK AND PREVIOUS CSTAR RESEARCH OF MESOSCALE

EFFECTS SUPPORT A RATHER IMPRESSIVE 2D-FGEN FIELD TO BE ACROSS OR

EAST OF THE HUDSON RIVER. IN ADDITION...WITH THE EXPLOSIVE NATURE

OF THIS STORM...GRAVITY WAVE PROPAGATION COULD ALSO ENHANCE

SNOWFALL RATES /PER THE DUCT FUNCTION...MAINLY SOUTH AND EAST OF

THE CAPITAL REGION/.

AS THE IMPRESSIVE UPPER JET COMES OVERHEAD SUNDAY MORNING...LIGHT

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS THE

SOUTHERN HALF OF THE CWA. THIS SNOW WILL REACH THE CAPITAL

DISTRICT BY SUNSET SUNDAY. SNOW SHOULD BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES WITH

THE POTENTIAL OF THE AFOREMENTIONED MESOSCALE BANDS COMING INTO

PLAY OVERNIGHT SUNDAY. SNOWFALL RATES COULD EXCEED 1 INCH PER HOUR AT

TIMES...ESPECIALLY FROM THE CAPITAL DISTRICT AND POINTS SOUTH AND

EAST. THE COMMA HEAD SHOULD WRAP BACK ACROSS MOST OF OUR REGION

DURING THE OVERNIGHT WITH DEFORMATION AXIS FURTHER ENHANCING THE

POTENTIAL FOR MESOSCALE INFLUENCES.

FOR PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHERN DACKS...THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR

LITTLE PRECIP AS EXPECTATIONS ARE THEIR WILL BE A SHARP CUTOFF

WITH THE PRECIP SHIELD. IN THESE RAPIDLY DEEPENING

SYSTEMS...PRECIP SHIELDS TEND TO CONTRACT IN WHICH COULD BE THE

CASE SUNDAY-MONDAY.

THE NEXT CONCERN WILL BE THE WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM.

50-60KTS AT AND ABOVE 925MBS ARE EXPECTED TO BE OVER THE ENTIRE

REGION LATE SUNDAY THROUGH MOST OF MONDAY. MIXING POTENTIAL PER

BUFKIT MOMENTUM TRANSFER SUGGESTS WE TAP TO NEAR 40KTS. SO THE

POSSIBILITY FOR NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS COULD DEVELOP AND WILL

CONTINUE TO MENTION IN THE WSW. THE STORM BECOMES NEARLY

VERTICALLY STACKED OVERNIGHT SUNDAY WHICH SHOULD RESULT IN A

SLOWER MOVEMENT TO THE NORTHEAST THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

DEFORMATION AXIS SNOW SHOULD PERSIST ALONG AND EAST OF THE HUDSON

RIVER THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...THEN ANOTHER LAST PIECE OF JET

ENERGY DIVES SOUTHWARD FROM EAST CENTRAL CANADA TO TAKE THIS STORM

RATHER QUICKLY OUT INTO THE OPEN ATLANTIC MONDAY AFTERNOON.

EXPECTATIONS ARE FOR A RATHER QUICK ENDING OF THE SNOW FROM WEST

TO EAST MONDAY AFTERNOON WITH LINGERING STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS.

THIS WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THE SNOW

THROUGHOUT MONDAY.

AS FOR ACCUMULATIONS...VERY CHALLENGING FORECAST AS THE

COMBINATION OF MESOSCALE EFFECTS AND LIQUID TO SNOW RATIOS WILL

HUGE IMPLICATIONS. CURRENT THOUGHTS ARE FOR AROUND 1 FOOT OF SNOW

SOUTH AND EAST OF THE CAPITAL DISTRICT...12 TO 18 INCHES FOR THE

HIGHER TERRAIN OF OUR ADJACENT NEW ENGLAND COUNTIES WITH 7 TO 12

INCHES FOR THE CAPITAL DISTRICT. AVERAGE SNOW RATIOS OF AROUND

15:1. AGAIN...ANY SLIGHT DEVIATION IN THE TRACK AND THOSE

MESOSCALE PROCESSES WILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPLICATIONS TO SNOW

AMOUNTS.

You will have enough to plow................Still a good possibility of warning criteria accumulation. One thing it looks like we have going for us is the -8 isotherm will be in our neck of the woods (a la the 18z GFS) which can lead to really enhanced amounts :snowman:

OK, so the last 3 sets of GFS ensembles have had considerably more qpf back down (westward) the MHV. That's a signal in the model that some trough feature MAY establish itself (and they typically do during our near "misses"). Coupled with higher ratios, I could see places west of the capital region (as far as the Utica/Rome area) to out perform others, with lower ratios near the coast (in terms of snow accumulation)....IF those ensemble members are indeed hinting at that potential.

18zgfsensemblep24048.gif

Archived