• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

well there is always the hope for 'some' snow.

but as far as the big snows go, certainly that will be east of us. the pattern supports that. .....in this pattern, we need a BIG storm to tuck in near long island and slow. thats a lot to ask for but its not to say its not impossible. we are still a good deal away from the event.

Wx4casts thoughts about wanting to see some movement west by tomorrow are good. the overnight euro was mildly encouraging.

and that was my original feeling, that i would give it till xmas eve. its not our of the realm of possibility, but it would be a christmas miracle.

And 'tis the season for miracles.

Regardless, I think we should be grateful that we have a white Christmas (up in Montreal and Ottawa at least), which has not always been the case. I was out yesterday evening and the atmosphere seemed good. A reasonable snowpack, with no grass showing, and temperatures just cold enough to ensure it won't melt.

Merry Christmas to everyone in this thread!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that may have been KALB's last above average snowfall winter too...I may be forgetting maybe one other year in-between perhaps, but the state capital has been paying for it in regards to snowfall since then. Oh, but what a winter that was! ;)

Sort of like us back in what 2002-2003 with the 20"+ Nor'easters within 8 days.

Wow, thanks for the map NorEaster...huge totals in the traditional lake effect areas around here. Binghamton sort of jumps out, but I know the city of Binghamton hasn't had nearly that much. Having their measurements done at the airport really helps!

23snow-map-popup.gif

If I was still at Cornell....wow what a snow hole.

OUtwister, any idea if the city of Binghamton has any unofficial snowfall totals? There used to be a blurb on the NWS Binghamton site that said the city averages around 60" (compared to the airport's official 80") but wasn't sure if there were any reliable co-op sites in the city.

All thanks to terrain and enhancement off the Finger Lakes. :thumbsup:

Hang in there...but for us probably not too much but this is based on current models and ensembles. Try to get some contracts down around Poughkeepsie and White Plains. ;-)

I will be ok. The gas to get down there would pretty much eat up my profits!.I am getting to old to do repairs on snow banks,Garages with heat for me please!

I will say though there are some real good deals on good plow vehicles and snow blowers.I am frustrated with the pattern, but it really is shocking and a bummer to hear of the companies not really going out, just cutting their losses and selling some overhead I.E.- trucks, tools,equipment and the worst part is the layoff's.

I have bouncing back and forth between here and the model threads.Is it always this ugly when people get a model run they don't like or aree with?The Euro sucks,no the NAM is garbage,no you need your eyes checked.not a lot of model reading just a lot of bickering,name calling and people ready to jump off a bridge to swim out to sea because the storm is there by the model they read......BON VOYAGE!!!

OUtwister, any idea if the city of Binghamton has any unofficial snowfall totals? There used to be a blurb on the NWS Binghamton site that said the city averages around 60" (compared to the airport's official 80") but wasn't sure if there were any reliable co-op sites in the city.

Not right in the city itself. We have several CoCoRaHS spotters in the Apalachin area and occasional reports from Vestal but nothing reliably reported. Would be great if we could get BU or BCC as a co-op. But with enough reports coming in from the valley area during events there is no real pressing need for a downtown BGM site as opposed to other areas. I think having an official co-op in this area would be almost more for curiosity's sake versus a real need. However, that's just my opinion and I honestly don't know why one was never sited in this area.

FWIW ...I see the 12Z GFS does bring a large area of >90 700 mb humidity over Upstate NY and perhaps some semblance of an inverted trough sets up with the Offshore low. Maybe we can squeeze an inch or two for more of a Christmas feel anyway. :) ...Xmas evening into Sunday that is.....

Rest assured the City of BGM doesn't have that much ..maybe half that.

HAH That's like why don't we move Albany Airport to around 1500' in the Town of Berne (Helderbergs) and call that the official measurement for ALB.

HAH That's like why don't we move Albany Airport to around 1500' in the Town of Berne (Helderbergs) and call that the official measurement for ALB.

True, our CoCoRaHS spotter from Endicott for the month has reported a little over 14 inches.

In a way, yes, but the elevation difference between the Helderbergs and downtown Albany is roughly double that of BGM and downtown Binghamton.

True, but the differences in average snowfall are roughly the same, for slightly different reasons. Also, not that its probably a huge difference, but I'm sure you would find differences in snowfall in downtown Albany (say the Port of Albany) vs where snowfall is measured now at the UAlbany campus on the western edge of town.

In a way, yes, but the elevation difference between the Helderbergs and downtown Albany is roughly double that of BGM and downtown Binghamton.

I have bouncing back and forth between here and the model threads.Is it always this ugly when people get a model run they don't like or aree with?The Euro sucks,no the NAM is garbage,no you need your eyes checked.not a lot of model reading just a lot of bickering,name calling and people ready to jump off a bridge to swim out to sea because the storm is there by the model they read......BON VOYAGE!!!

Those model threads are brutal sort of like a South Bronx street brawl...OUCH!

Actually I like that the models are showing some movement. While it may not be what we would like it is movement and it is still early in the game. 00z runs and later will tell a lot.

Those model threads are brutal sort of like a South Bronx street brawl...OUCH!

Actually I like that the models are showing some movement. While it may not be what we would like it is movement and it is still early in the game. 00z runs and later will tell a lot.

A definite shift west for the GFS at 00z .. just enough to tease ALB and leave us dry once again so i'd say this looks about right.

f84.gif

Nice pics. :) I'll be in your neck of the woods in early January. I'm making the annual rounds to visit relatives etc... in Naples, then Andover, then Wellsboro, PA. Let's hope we have some snowy wx when I'm there. :) The cousins in Andover live at 2250 feet.....

Shot these pics today of the freezing drizzle. All the hills above ~1600ft look like this.

A definite shift west for the GFS at 00z .. just enough to tease ALB and leave us dry once again so i'd say this looks about right.

f84.gif

The earlier runs of the NAM, GEM, GFS, and Euro had this going out to sea. But you're right, The 00z GFS shows it a little more to the west. which brings 5-12 inches for areas on the coast. we will see what the EURO has to say about this trend. My model of choice 48-24 hours out is the NAM. So, I will wait until tomorrows models run before I know where this thing will most likely go. The models did show me something I liked, The blocking in Canada looks to break down during the first week of Jan with a possible block setting up closer to Greenland...If we want storms in the Northeast this is a very good thing.

Archived