Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z EC actually trended toward GFS :thumbsup: Looks like a slightly sharper precip cutoff than the GFS though with ALB around .4 to .5 and much less northwest. POU gets hit real hard..

00z Euro QPF courtesy of member Tombo82685...

euro2.jpg

yellow 2-2.5

pinkis purple 1.75-2

dark purple 1.5-1.75

purple 1.25-1.5

lgt pink 1-1.25

turqouise .75-1

lgt blue .5-.75

green .25-.5

lgt green .25 or less

Thanks logan, much better view...Looks close to the0z GEFS QPF..

Kbgm

AFTER ANALYZING VARIOUS ENSEMBLE SUITES

INCLUDING SREF/GEFS AND CIPS ANALOGS...WE DO HAVE TO BE CONCERNED

ABOUT THE MODEL BIASES OF NOT PULLING ENOUGH FORCING AND THUS

PRECIPITATION BACK TO THE WEST IN THESE STRONG COASTAL STORM

EVENTS.

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

Merry Christmas everyone!

This storm is why you wait on watch data before writing things off.

If it bombs a la EC it COULD even pull another 50 miles or so to the NW and coast).

Banding potential is unbelievably incredible for this system. Wouldn't be surprised if a gravity wave also formed during the time of bombogenesis..

For me vacation cancel work calls....

Merry Christmas everyone!

This storm is why you wait on watch data before writing things off.

If it bombs a la EC it COULD even pull another 50 miles or so to the NW and coast).

Banding potential is unbelievably incredible for this system. Wouldn't be surprised if a gravity wave also formed during the time of bombogenesis..

For me vacation cancel work calls....

Merry Christmas Andy............

given the trends, i wouldnt be surprised if the best snows in this system fall N and W of boston.

i think eastern NY is under the gun, but moreso than i mentioned yesterday.

the interesting development on the first 12z model, the NAM..... was the earlier involvement of the energy in northern quebec, acting to pull the 500mb low further N and W at hr 48. correct me if im wrong, but i think that would be a true triple phase! lets see if the other models follow.

Merrry Christmas!

Morning update from BGM...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1006 AM EST SAT DEC 25 2010

SHORT TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...

UPDATED AS OF 10 AM...ISSUED WINTER STORM WATCH FOR PIKE COUNTY PA AND SULLIVAN COUNTY NY FROM SUN PM TO MON PM. MAIN CONCERN HERE IS THE MAJORITY OF THE MODEL SOLTNS AND ENSEMBLES SUGGEST SIGNIFICANT SNOWS FOR THE PARTS OF THE POCONOS AND CATSKILLS. THE 06Z GFS/00Z GFS ENSEMBLE/00Z EURO AND EURO ENSEMBLE MEAN/00Z UKMET/NCEPS EXPERIMENTAL FIM MODEL AND THE 03Z SREF ALL SHOW A LOW TRACK CLOSE ENUF TO THE NJ COAST TO BRING WARNING CRITERIA SNOWS TO PIKE AND SULLIVAN COUNTIES AND POSSIBLY FARTHER W ACRS MORE OF NE PA AND SC NY.

THE MOST WESTWARD SOLTN IS THE 06Z GFS ATTM WHICH WUD CRUSH NE PA AND THE CATSKILLS AND BRING WRNG CRITERIA SNOWS TO SC NY AS FAR W AS BGM/UCA AND TOWANDA. THIS SOLTN DOES SEEM TO BE THE OUTLIER SO DID NOT ISSUE WATCHES THAT FAR W. THE ONLY MODELS THAT KEEP THE LO FAR ENUF TO THE EAST TO PRECLUDE ANY SIG SNOWS FOR THE BGM CWA IS THE NAM...GGEM/GGEM ENSEMBLES AND THE NAVY NOGAPS. LOOKING AT THE DERIVED FIELDS FROM THE VARIOUS SOLTNS...IT COMES DOWN TO HOW QUICKLY CYCLOGENESIS TAKES PLACE AS THE LO TRACKS FROM THE NC COAST NORTHWARD SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT. SINCE CYCLOGENESIS IS A HIGHLY NON-LINEAR PROCESS THE MODELS WILL STRUGGLE WITH THE PLACEMENT OF THE SPECIFIC MASS FIELDS AND ASSCTD QPF. THE GFS BOMBS THE LOW OUT VERY QUICKLY AND HENCE TRACKS IT FARTHER W. THE FIM IS SIMILAR TO THE GFS WHICH IS INTERESTING BECAUSE THE FIM USES THE GFS PHYSICS PACKAGE AND INITIALIZATION.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A TOUGH ONE FOLKS SINCE IT COMES DOWN TO MODEL PHYSICS AND PARAMETERIZATIONS. WHICH PHYSICS PACKAGE HAS THE BEST HANDLE? ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY AT THIS POINT. BEST FORECAST FOR NOW IS TO GO WITH CONSENSUS OF THE MODELS AND HENCE THIS PUTS THE FAR SE PART OF THE BGM CWA IN THE 6-8 INCH RANGE BASED ON 12-1 SNOW:LIQUID RATIO AND QPF FIELDS. ADVY SNOWS WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE ACRS THE SCRANTON/WILKE BARRE AREAS TO DELAWARE COUNTY NY.

Merry Christmas to you and the family Andy.I may be going in myself as the supervisor called and asked "if" we get snow, can I go in and get the repairs done that were left undone because this storm was not going to hit us at all.I am torn between going now just for the extra o/t or waiting to get a better idea to see if it is going to hit,how much ECT(stall in other words LOL!!)

Its amazing how much confidence is still lacking in this forecast.. it would be really nice for the 12z EC to hold serve or come west a little more. If it goes east that would really suck considering we're already on the fringe. I wouldn't be confident in throwing out amounts until at least after 00z tonight LOL

The 12Z GFS was just a shade later in bombing and capturing the low...thereby it knocked the heaviest about 50 miles east in areas from DC up to around AVP. It didn't 't make much difference in NY State N/E of BGM because it wrapped back in under LI by then.

I still see some models that let it escape a bit more east before capture such as NAM (although it has trended west from 6Z) and RGEM (only about .45" to ALB). SO we have to see if the GFS is slightly too amped and be cautious I'd say about areas from ALB north and west getting into the best snows.

If I was doing a " forecast now I'd go 6-10" immediately n/w of ALB such as Cobleskill to Schenectady, Amsterdam, Saratoga. 4-6" from Central MV to GFL. 10-15" from ALB down to Hudson and northern Catskills. Then 15"+ southern Catskills across to Berkshires. But of course I don't forecast so its all for fun. ;)

If the best banding gets to this area then all bets are off on some snowfall maxes ...

12z gfs precip, looks like i just squeek out about 1/2" of liquid..Just 30-50miles west please..

Well we are looking at 15-1 ratios I think so if the more conservative .5" of qpf verifies in ALB that is 7.5". So barring some last minute models busts I think its a

significant snowfall anyway.

Its amazing how much confidence is still lacking in this forecast.. it would be really nice for the 12z EC to hold serve or come west a little more. If it goes east that would really suck considering we're already on the fringe. I wouldn't be confident in throwing out amounts until at least after 00z tonight LOL

Well we are looking at 15-1 ratios I think so if the more conservative .5" of qpf verifies in ALB that is 7.5". So barring some last minute models busts I think its a

significant snowfall anyway.

Yeah and most likely ALY will be very conservative considering the GGEM, NAM and possibly the euro are still east of the GFS. I would be thrilled with 6" right now though thats for sure.

ALY just extended winter storm watches

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGHMONDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAYMORNING.* LOCATIONS: SCHOHARIE COUNTY...CAPITAL REGION OF NEW YORK...RENSSELAER COUNTY AND ALL OF SOUTHERN VERMONT.* HAZARDS: MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW...AND GUSTY WINDS.* ACCUMULATIONS: 7 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE.* TIMING: LIGHT SNOW MOVES IN SUNDAY AFTERNOON...TRANSITIONING TO MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.* IMPACTS: HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW ON ROADS. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED IN THE SNOW. STRONG WINDS WILL MAKE DRIVING TREACHEROUS DUE TO BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.* WINDS: NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS AT 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 35 MPH SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

Archived