Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Poughkeepsie area is closing on on a foot. Only a wind whipped half inch here. I'm holding to my expected 3-6". I'd much rather see the lower hudson valley jackpot than SNE.

"

Yeah they are just sitting under that band as it pivots.. awesome. the band is over columbia county now so if it pushes northwest 15 miles we might be able to see > 6". light snow and .8" here so far.

The northwest edge of the snow reaches like walls and cannot move for an hour or two at a time ...then another push gets it west another 10 miles etc. It has been stuck about five miles west of me for an hour. I think this next band will push it west more, but someone around western Schoharie County or the Central Mohawk Valley may never see a flake, while Albany does quite well.

Not quite here yet in Slingerlands.

I'm still thinking this thing will finally be able to push just a bit further west and get us into some good snow...moderate anyway. It has been incredibly frustrating. The edge of the snow has been from 2 to 5 miles from me since 7:30 pm and stationary. Every now and then I get a burst of moderate but mostly light snow. Radar shows me on the edge of the 20 dbz, but it must be drying up here on the nw fringe. Lets hope that very intense band in North Greenbush etc. can pivot the snow maybe 15 miles further west.

The heavy band that pivoted into Albany died rather quickly as it headed west...the western edge of the snow hasn't moved any further west in a couple hours...except in the northcountry. Looks like the Berkshires are going to be the place to be tonight.

Yep, LES is just that. You open your door and the woosh of doing that clears your path. (Apologies in advance from LEK, TG, Delta, etc.)

Coastal low snow well you have to do some work to move and remove it. SE CT will probably mix. Don't know about what is being forecast for there but I'll tell you what, in the Catskills, HV, not too far away from Albany, as well as WNE will get creamed tonight/early Monday AM thanks to CSI.

While the coastal low may be out of play for MOST of you most of YOU also have a LES thread too. :popcorn:^_^

apology excepted :P

HAH thats 3.2" more than we have a mere 20 miles wnw of you. But recently it's starting to look more like a decent moderate snow.

Just went for a walk with the kids. Was surprised to find 3.5". Still snowing moderate with mostly small flakes but some bigger ones starting to mix in. Keep moving west bands.:thumbsup::snowman::snowman::snowman:

someone just reported 23 inches in NJ as well wow someone will end up with 3 feet in that band. moderate snow here will do a midnight measurement but it looks like 3 inches so far.

Yea where my gf is in monmouth county has close to 20" with 2-4" hr rates..I really wish i went down there lol Darn models with that OTS solution ..

Yea where my gf is in monmouth county has close to 20" with 2-4" hr rates..I really wish i went down there lol Darn models with that OTS solution ..

LOL nice I was gonna head down to my buddies house in Putnam county but decided to stay here as of yesterday when it looked like we might jackpot.. oh well. Albany airport is reporting +SN and since i'm only 3 miles away i'll go ahead and say +SN with some decent gusts. that band might push west over the next couple of hours and if it does we might be able to make it to the high end of the estimates.

I have to agree with ENYsnow - every time I see a good band on radar off to my east I get all excited, then it gets nearly overhead and just disappears. Don't get me wrong, it is still snowing but nothing epic at my location. Then there's a big, expanding hole on the radar in central MA and CT that doesn't look promising. We'll see what the morning brings.

Setup on this radar reminds me of the Dec 2003 storm...long duration storm with a band setting up over Rensselaer CTY, and sitting there for much of a day. I was living just to the east of Schodack at the time and picked up close to 30" total, still my largest storm total ever. Granted, the rest of ENY did well too in that one, but this imagry reminded me of it.

Here in Rotterdam, its been a struggle to get much snow this far west. Looks like a windswept 2 inches perhaps. Just 20 miles to my SE in Albany was a report of 5", with even more to the south and east. Mid-Hudson area near POU looks like its been getting crushed all evening.

Looks like we're up to about 5" here in southern Rensselaer county, and about to get into the heaviest snow associated with the entire storm system!!! (Currently higher dbz than either eastern MA or NJ).

post-378-0-31124300-1293420803.png

Archived