• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Mid July SNE Torch en route!

HoarfrostHubb

also, folks watch the convection over/near Lake Superior... Models have convective QPF migrating through S/SE Ontario and deflect that E of us but I have my worries... These MCS tend to ...well, ALWAYS go S of guidance as they tend to turn SE along the geopotential isopleth gradient - why the models can't physically handle that I am not sure.. Anyway, we see what it did in southern lower Michigan with MCS that punch into the ridge, and they are just now 80F in a few locations where there is Heat Warn underway.

We have a shot perhaps late Thursday night I think. Something to watch, anyways.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps ... Keep in mind though that the hottest readings in our neck of the woods are August found. Also, one thing I am noticing about that big ridge signaled is that the lower troposphere is out of phase with the mid-lvls, ...kinda of keeping with your "purest" idea. In this case, the height may balloon but the llv gradient may not be available to transport. Of course, ...could all just be depictions errors due to the long lead, too.

They are? I thought the average high temp hit is peak sometime within the next 7 days.

SST now up to 74 at ack sound....can feel that immediately when winds go south down here now as dews jump to the lower 70s

No kidding any time we switch to a southerly component DPs shoot into the 70s. Even the buoy 25 miles S of Montauk is into the mid 70s.

No kidding any time we switch to a southerly component DPs shoot into the 70s. Even the buoy 25 miles S of Montauk is into the mid 70s.

Out of curiosity, are those SSTs above normal for this time of year? I honestly have no real idea on what is normal with regards to the ocean and coastline temps.

Out of curiosity, are those SSTs above normal for this time of year? I honestly have no real idea on what is normal with regards to the ocean and coastline temps.

It's about a month ahead of normal just based off my experience. But it really depends, south coastal waters are heavily dependent (and easily warmed) on above average summers.

It's about a month ahead of normal just based off my experience. But it really depends, south coastal waters are heavily dependent (and easily warmed) on above average summers.

Cool, thanks man. Ocean temps in the 70s seemed warm to me... I seem to always remember going to Misquamicut in the summer as a kid and having the ocean temps be in like the 55-60F range or something chilly like that.

Friday sizzlefest on the Euro.

Why anyone would wish for this type of weather is beyond me... it gets too hot to even do normal outdoor activities. This is the first day I find myself sitting inside all summer long... no desire to hike or bike in this weather. Even walking the golf course gets uncomfortable. Mowing the lawn becomes a true chore and everytime you get in your car it feels like its 110F inside it.

Why anyone would wish for this type of weather is beyond me... it gets too hot to even do normal outdoor activities. This is the first day I find myself sitting inside all summer long... no desire to hike or bike in this weather. Even walking the golf course gets uncomfortable. Mowing the lawn becomes a true chore and everytime you get in your car it feels like its 110F inside it.

I don't wish it, but it's here. Might as well embrace it.

Water temps bump up and down from day to day a lot more than people expect. Here in Newport at the south coast beaches summer temps can be as low as 65 even in August on days with Northerly winds and can briefly bump up to 75-76 on really hot days with calm waves in late July and August.

Plus it's only SST. Five feet down and it's still bone chilling.

I don't wish it, but it's here. Might as well embrace it.

True enough... from a purely meteorological standpoint it is interesting. A different sort of "extreme weather event" than we are normally used to. I think its about time to suck it up and go find something to do outside. Enjoy the heat everyone. 85/63 currently, tied for my hottest July temp so far (until tomorrow).

I'm 100% with you here... It can only be the desire for extreme wx which is understandable as a wx weenie. But I find it too painful to wish for this kind of wx.

Archived