amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 21-24 Severe Obs/Disc.

Ellinwood

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are one of the few if not the only person on here that likes our weather. ;)

I think for most normal people the weather around here is fairly ideal if not a little too cool at times in winter and a little too hot in the summer. We get a lot of sun.. most people enjoy that. As far as being a big weather event lover the region can be tough in many respects. I do think it has its advantages.. like forcing people who live here to actually learn (whether or not it sticks or they ignore... ) the process involved.

It's 100x better than Central NY... more severe and less snow! I also enjoy not needing a jacket/sweatshirt as soon as 11pm hits in June.

EDIT: 11pm makes for a better argument :P

Central NY might have some of the worst weather in the country... Boston too.. a city I could never live in.

True that. Sadly, it's been one of the better setups in the last month or so... at least there's a jetstreak this time.

if it was a few hundred miles southwest we'd have eked something out. in reality our best events, at least tornado wise, will always be ones that come up from the South. everything else is sorta random luck.

if it was a few hundred miles southwest we'd have eked something out. in reality our best events, at least tornado wise, will always be ones that come up from the South. everything else is sorta random luck.

I think it's time to hope for a tropical system.

All I wanted was a regular storm lol. Like 7 days of storm chances and nothing at all to show for it. That's pretty sad. LWX talking about multiple MCS's and what not, ugh what a whole series fail.

Hurricanes is one of the great things about this area. Rare but worth the wait.

Hurricanes is one of the great things about this area. Rare but worth the wait.

yeah tho not good days to see tornadoes i guess--but wasnt here for ivan so maybe some were vis?

generally you still need similar features at 500 mb etc which you can get from a plains low.. but it needs to be moving, not stacking/filling etc. ideally we have a 990 something or lower chugging along through Ohio or the southeast lakes during the afternoon. april 27-28 is probably about as good of a setup as we get for multiple tornadoes outside hurricane remnants.

I did see the vils they were 75-85 for a while before warned. I done arguing about it. Mute point anyways.

I think I found the problem... you using GRLevel3? The visual VIL is being miscalculated, which is why you saw such high values (something that apparently happened with a recent update). Noticed this when I pulled up GR as well. If you turn on storm attributes and hover over the cell, you get the real VIL calculation (which, at the time in question, were around 35-45).

The actual VILs, in addition to LCLs of around 1250', were the reason why the warnings weren't issued until several scans after your original post.

http://www.grlevelxstuff.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-348.html

I think I found the problem... you using GRLevel3? The visual VIL is being miscalculated, which is why you saw such high values (something that apparently happened with a recent update). Noticed this when I pulled up GR as well. If you turn on storm attributes and hover over the cell, you get the real VIL calculation (which, at the time in question, were around 35-45).

The actual VILs, in addition to LCLs of around 1250', were the reason why the warnings weren't issued until several scans after your original post.

http://www.grlevelxs....php/t-348.html

Well still storm reports were actually put up west of the warning areas so it did go severe a little early but, it's not worth really arguing over. Guess that is what happens when there is nothing else to track lol.

By looking at where the warnings were and the storm reports.

Look here the little symbol is missing but it's the one in CATLETTSBURG/CANNONSBURG. If you move your mouse to the left of the warning it will show up in text.

http://www.erh.noaa....dex.php?wfo=rlx

It's on the edge of the warning, and the report was at 3:42pm. The original warning on that cell was issued at 3:27pm, and it included Cannonsburg: http://kamala.cod.ed...927.wuus51.html

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON WV

327 PM EDT THU JUN 23 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

BOYD COUNTY IN KENTUCKY...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF CANNONSBURG...

CABELL COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF HUNTINGTON...

EXTREME WEST CENTRAL KANAWHA COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF NITRO...

NORTHERN LINCOLN COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF HAMLIN...

SOUTHERN PUTNAM COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

NORTHERN WAYNE COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF BEECH FORK STATE PARK...

SOUTHEASTERN LAWRENCE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST OHIO...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...PROCTORVILLE...CHESAPEAKE...

* UNTIL 430 PM EDT

* AT 323 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR

CATLETTSBURG...OR NEAR CANNONSBURG...AND MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

----

Try again.

EDIT: To add, for fun...

3 cells have clear rotation. Shocked only one warned.

Your original post at 2:54pm... 40 minutes before the earliest severe report from those cells came in (which was actually east of that westernmost report that I'm seeing via the mouseover and from SPC, which occurred at 3:34pm).

It's on the edge of the warning, and the report was at 3:42pm. The original warning on that cell was issued at 3:27pm, and it included Cannonsburg: http://kamala.cod.ed...927.wuus51.html

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON WV

327 PM EDT THU JUN 23 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

BOYD COUNTY IN KENTUCKY...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF CANNONSBURG...

CABELL COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF HUNTINGTON...

EXTREME WEST CENTRAL KANAWHA COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF NITRO...

NORTHERN LINCOLN COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF HAMLIN...

SOUTHERN PUTNAM COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

NORTHERN WAYNE COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF BEECH FORK STATE PARK...

SOUTHEASTERN LAWRENCE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST OHIO...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...PROCTORVILLE...CHESAPEAKE...

* UNTIL 430 PM EDT

* AT 323 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR

CATLETTSBURG...OR NEAR CANNONSBURG...AND MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

----

Try again.

EDIT: To add, for fun...

Your original post at 2:54pm... 40 minutes before the earliest severe report from those cells came in (which was actually east of that westernmost report that I'm seeing via the mouseover and from SPC, which occurred at 3:34pm).

I swear on my map I had on close up it was outside the warning. But, why are we even talking about this? lol

I swear on my map I had on close up it was outside the warning. But, why are we even talking about this? lol

Because you're wrong and have less-than-stellar radar interpretation skills. Hopefully you (and maybe someone else that read through it) learned something from this exchange.

Because you're wrong and have less-than-stellar radar interpretation skills. Hopefully you (and maybe someone else that read through it) learned something from this exchange.

Already then. I think your making a bigger deal out of this then it is. So I am done with this convo. If you want to continue PM me.

Already then. I think your making a bigger deal out of this then it is. So I am done with this convo. If you want to continue PM me.

Heh.

Just making sure that you and ddweatherman, who both claim to be weather forecasters on this web site you guys post on, know how to properly forecast. I'm all for spreading knowledge... and I'm finished with my "lesson of the day," so to speak :P

Heh.

Just making sure that you and ddweatherman, who both claim to be weather forecasters on this web site you guys post on, know how to properly forecast. I'm all for spreading knowledge... and I'm finished with my "lesson of the day," so to speak :P

Understood.

Anyways storm near me now strong with special weather statement. Pitch black north of me. Will I ever get hit again. lol

Archived